Jan 16-18 Eglin AFB ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK this was copied from the FJcruisers forum, they put together huge rides and all of the other local clubs usually join in and it makes one hell of a fun time! so I thought I would mention it here also well, I thought it would be a good time to get together and make an Eglin run, passes are the only thing you would need and they are $10 for everyone over 16, if needed closer to time I could pick up passes for who ever needed them.
Anyhow lets get together and wheel some, I think Matt covers about everything in the below copied list, but if needed i can answer any questions...or try to at least

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Let's go wheeling at Eglin Reservation January 17-18, 2009​

================================================== ======================​

The 2nd Annual Southeast MONSTER Meet promises to be a great time if any of the previous runs through the "West Eglin Loop" are any indication. (See links below)

This trip will include some nice trail runs, sand pits, technical hill climbs/descents, water crossings (some deep), etc. This a fun ride with terrain to encourage beginners and challenge experienced wheelers alike. Don't shy away from this run just because your rig is stock. We have found that stock rigs can do nearly ANYTHING here at Eglin. So come on out!

I plan on rolling out to the point at East Bay for what is always an amazing sunset and then a night run back to civilization (for the hopelessly civilized). The meeting spot will be the Tom Thumb (CITGO convenience store) located at the corner of Highway 87 and Hickory Hammock Road. This is located 2.1 miles south of the I-10 exit 31 along Hwy 87.
(Got GPS? N30 35'41.29" W086 56'28.79")

Bring plenty of water and some snacks for the trail. Sunscreen and bug spray may be nice as well.

I HIGHLY recommend anybody coming in from out of town stay in Pensacola, or the motels mentioned below which are very close to the rendezvous site.
There is primitive camping available for those interested (I'll be doing that Sat. nite at least). There are also a couple of motels (Red Carpet Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express) , as well as a KOA, very close by at I-10 exit #31 (the intersection of I-10 and Hwy 87).

Possible Itinerary
Friday 16 Jan-
7:00pm 'ish Prerun get together in Milton, FL at the home of our very own Dusther. Can you say PIG ROAST!?!? (I can say that, and 'beer' too)

Saturday 17 Jan-
10:00am Rendezvous at the Tom Thumb. Air down and hit the trails by 10:30.
Lunch will be on the trail at one of numerous spots suitable for this many vehicles.
4:30pm 'ish Set camp on the beach at East Bay in time for Sunset. Camp fire, smores, shrimp-boil (Bay Shrimp) , yada yada yada...
10:00pm 'ish Night run through to return non-campers to civilization and their cushy staterooms.
lol.gif
This time will be flexible, of course.

Sunday 18 Jan-
9:00am Break camp and start back toward Rendezvous spot.
10:00am Rendezvous at the meeting spot and re-hit the trails by 10:30.
Again, lunch will be on the trail at one of numerous spots suitable for this many vehicles.
2:00pm 'ish Find our way back to civilization and say our Farewells.

Last edited:
yeah Oswald would do great stock, and im sure a 4x4 s10 would do fine, there are stock FJCruisers that do fine

I got to the second chapter of that first post and quit...
where's the cliff notes?

So would a stock 96 FZJ do good down there? Or, is there fuin stuff for Cattywampus to do down there?

So would a stock 96 FZJ do good down there? Or, is there fuin stuff for Cattywampus to do down there?

From the looks of the pictures I saw posted it should do fine stock.

even unlocked?

I'll unlock the door for you to get in Caleb...

I remember when Catty was a young buck and had open/open diffs, even just putting it in CDL/Low it could out crawl heeps and stuff, i assume this junk would too, even on trail 4 and 6 of Tellico just like Catty used to. I assume the AFB doesn't have anything comparable to trail 6 at Tellico. Now, the 96 junk won't be lifted and no big tars, so I assume that will be it's limiting factor and not necessarily being locked or not.

It's too far away from home (like 1 hour 38 minutes) plus there is no Wifi so I won't be able to wheel.

Maybe someone will shoot an in cab video and post it on YouTube, then you can live vicariously through them...

There you go that would be nice.

I'll have to see how everything goes in January. I would probably be staying at my house in GS and not at a hotel.

a stock 80 series would do fine, theres a few places where lockers are needed but an experienced driver can pull through it, ive seen a unlocked FJC do it so you should be fine, I took mine out there stock and it did great it did things that the heavily modded rovers couldnt do...thats a given though

Binarydude your S10 would do fine out here especially if it has elockers, BUT as soon as Ozwald gets here you have got to post up some pics!!

here is a few pics from the days when my rig was stock, I have lockers but a stock 80 series can do about everything, if not theres always a LR trail around the obsticle
mycruiser3.jpg

mycruiser.jpg

a pic from a smaller get together we had
jeepclub.jpg

there is really only one obstacle that I would be concerned with just about any stock rig on this ride and that is the water crossing. there is no "by pass" unless you run around about 10 miles to get to where we are on the other side. But as you can see the Jeep didn't make it and it was BONE stock. and yeah the hummah did granted the intake on the hummah is a bit higher than most stock intakes.

_MG_0928.jpg

_MG_0954.jpg

this ride is looking like a huge one. so far we have rigs committed from North Alabama and Tennessee, Tampa and points from farther out. If you plan to attend just let us know. And most definately if you plan on being at the Meet and Greet on the Friday night I really need to know within the last week of Dec. or first week of Jan. so I can make sure I get enough grub on the grill.

the full thread can be found: 2nd Annual Southeast MONSTER Meet (Eglin Reservation) Jan 17-18, 2009 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

thanks for all of your help in putting this together Dusther, yeah I forgot about the water crossing...its a do or die type of thing, but as yall can see in the pics someone usually gets in the water and is ready to asist for a fast pulling out, I feel rather confident that an unlocked 80 series would pull through it...

Eglin is loads of fun.

A stock 80 will do just fine, although don't expect many of the other drivers to understand its capabilities.

If you have a trail rig it will be nice too. I seem to always drive away with body damage; but it only happens to me???

The FJ guys run a great trail ride!

It will be nice to have another Land Cruiser on the trail!

Garett, glad to see pics as proof that LX has been offroad!

Here is a link to some pics of my last ride at Eglin.

97fzj80 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I just found out today that there is an offroad club here in town. Gonna try and track them down and see what they run.

The water will not be an issue for Oswald, but I have not taken the S10 swiming like that since installing the cold air intake. Might have to mod it if we get to come.

I just found out today that there is an offroad club here in town. Gonna try and track them down and see what they run.

The water will not be an issue for Oswald, but I have not taken the S10 swiming like that since installing the cold air intake. Might have to mod it if we get to come.

For that specific crossing, as long as your intake is on the right side of the truck and you stay on the correct route it is not an issue.

We may get to the crossing and have no trouble at all. I have only crossed it three times, each time being a different depth, none of which was deep enough to flood my truck. It is a caution area because sometimes it is very challenging. The FJ guys do it right, a tow strap is hooked up prior to the crossing and if you loose traction you get pulled out so it does not dig it out for the next guy.

A few more pics...
14 Spet.jpg
14 Spet 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom