1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

James Ervin Toyota(SC)=Either Liars or Stupid

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LoveTractor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Ever have one of those days you just wish didn't happen? I had one yesterday.
    I found these 3 ads for an 80 for sale up in Lugoff, SC at James Ervin Toyota(113 miles from me):
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...h&advanced=&start_year=1993&isp=y&cardist=108
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...995-1994-1993_|X-popular|Z-29412&aff=national
    http://www.jameservintoyota.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=1051764
    I thought "sweet." Gave them a call and asked if it had the diff locks. Guy said yup, but I better hurry because there was another guy very interested. I called again to ask another salesman the same question just to make sure. Yup, it's got lockers. I even went so far as to describe to them what the switch looked like and where it was located. The last sales person even went so far as to put me on hold as though he was going to check. Yup, it's got the switch. I'm psyched. A locked 40th with 108K for $11K. We arrange a time of 1pm yesterday the 80 can be driven from their Darlington,SC lot to their Lugoff, SC lot(about 45min. away) which is closer to me.
    So yesterday I head out at 12 and immediately my 62 starts having tranny problems. I pull into a Midas and check the fluid. A bit on the high side. I ask them if they've got a pump to get some of the excess out. They say they can't loan it out. I ask for a 24 socket so I can drain some myself. Nope. Fawk it. I have them do it and they charge me $30. Great.
    I set out again. My check engine light comes on. I'd seafoamed the night before so I figure it was just an O sensor outta whack. I pull over. Turn off the car. Back on. Light goes off and stays off. Phew.
    I call up the dealer to tell them I was running late. They say "OK. BTW, that price is wrong. It's actually 12.5K." WTF!! I get pissed saying that cars.com, autotrader, and their home site all say $10,999. "Sorry. It's $12.5. There's a 'glitch' in the system." Oh well, I'm already half way there so I decide to see if it's that gem everybody wants.
    Get there...and the truck isn't at the Lugoff lot!!! WTF!! "Whoops. We thought you were coming tomorrow." I had just called!! AND when they called the Darlington lot, they're told there's a deal in progress at that exact moment. WTF!! They ask how much I'd spend. I say $11.5 firm. Sounded good. Then about 5 min. later, that deal mysteriously disappears and they say they'd drive it right over. So I wait. And wait. And Wait. (I also helped some dude get a tool box out of his Taco with my tool kit b/c the the dealer didn't have any tools on that lot. WTF!)
    Truck finally shows up. Beautiful rig. Factory tail light guards and brush guard though. I ask the old man who drove it over to pop the hood so I could look for leaks since he'd just driven it an hour. None. Looked great under there. I shimmy under the car to see if there are any leaks under. None. BUT I look at the diff and GUESS WHAT!! No actuator!! I get up and, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, look inside. No DIFF LOCK switch. I turn to the boss man who at this point was lookin' after me b/c of the long wait and confusion.
    ME:"It doesn't have differential locks. I called more than once to ask if it did and I was told yes each time."
    HIM:"Yes it does. They're automatic."
    ME:"What? Something like got Aussie Lockers?"
    HIM:<Big look of bewilderment.> "No, all Land Cruisers have differential locks out of the factory. There doesn't have to be a switch."
    ME:"OK, Thanks anyway." :mad: :mad: :flipoff2: :mad: :flipoff2:
    HIM:"What's the matter? You don't want it now after all that?"
    ME:"No." Hopped in my truck and drove off...kicking and screaming.
    Finally got home at about 8:30pm. Whole day wasted. But, with such a long trip, I did figure out that my 62 needs some TLC. :)
    Note-To-Self:
    1)When asking about the DIFF LOCKs and the switch, make positively sure that the fawkers actaully know what it is and how to determine if the truck has them.
    2)Repeat 1 repeatedly.
    3)Don't deal with James Ervin Toyota....ever again.
    4)Carry around a gun at all times....well, maybe not. I'd probably be in jail right now.:flipoff2:

Sorry. Rant off. Had to spew.

2. wob

wob

To save yourself some time in the future, especially when dealing with salesmen who will say anything to make a buck, ask them to read off the axle code on the door sticker.

Check this

3. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I have found that for some reason, car salesmen know squat about the product they push.

4. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Darn! And I knew about the 292/294 thing!! Great idea, Wob. I just assumed a dealer of Toyota vehicles would actually KNOW something about Toyota vehicles. But I guess what they say about what happens when you assume is true. You make an ASS out of U and ME. Next time, door sticker all the way.

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Do not count on K294 as an absolute guarantee.

It only means that the driver's door came off a vehicle with diff locks.

D-

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  7. mooker82

mooker82

Thats not bad for 3900. I saw a nice 95 for sale the other day in West Ashley. Price was 13,xxx I think. Not sure about the diff locks. There are lots of 80's around in Charleston but few people are willing to sell them. When I found mine I went through the same ordeal. I drove to Greenville only to find out the one did not have diff locks.

8. firetruck41

firetruck41

You do know that all 80 series Land Cruisers do have a diff lock standard, and they are automatic, right? They all have a center diff lock, the 91-92 models have a push button switch, 93 and up have no switch. You might want to clarify with the seller/dealer when you call, that you know it has a center differential lock, but you are looking for the optional front/rear differential locks, indicated by the rotary switch.... You shouldn't have to spell it out for the dealer, but they are idiots anyway. I would be pissed too, when they told you over the phone it had the switch. :mad:

9. 72cruiser

72cruiser

when talkin with car salesmen at dealerships, especially abt lockers....they have no clue

most of the time, they are thinking about locking hubs, which are automatic....

heck, half the time the guys don't know the difference between and transmission and a transfer case...

malphrus

10. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

This same story has been told again and again. You really can't be sure unless you are standing there looking at it. Next time have them send you a digital photo of the dash and the axle.

I work with a guy who had a '97. He came up to my desk when I first started, saw my '01 Cruiser Calendar, which had a V8'd 80 series on one month. He said "I've got one of those." I said "An 80?" He said "No, a '97." Me "It's an 80 series?" Him "No, it's a LandCruiser." By now I realize he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I ask "Does it have lockers?" He responds "Yeah." Then I remember he doesn't know it's an 80, he probably doesn't know about lockers. So I explain to him where the switch is, he says he'll have to look but he doesn't think so..."it says "locked" when I put it in 4-wheel drive."

After 5-years of owning it. Again in casual conversation he says "I just wish the back seats (third row) came out." I tell him they do. He says "No they don't." We argue, he calls his son and tells him to look. Gets off the phone, "Nope." Next time his wife comes to take him to lunch, I flag them down in the parking lot, open the back and pull out his driver's side third row seat in 3-seconds. He and his wife exchange a look. "Wow!" Did I mention he'd owned it for 5 years?

11. cruiserman

cruiserman

Dan, Did he even notice the instructions in the vehicle for pulling the rear seats? What a maroon.

12. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    whats funny is there is a sticker in the rear on or by the seats that explains how to remove them :)

13. 2badfjs

2badfjs

after working with salesmen for 20+ years

they are just another form of a ambulance chaser! ;)

14. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

isn't the sticker on the frame?

15. cruiserdan

Nope, rear edge of Driver's door.

16. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Sucks to be you.

Just FYI, I was told they were a rep dealer, and one of the guys there was into Cruisers.

I called on several, and the salesmen went out to the trucks each time and honestly told me there was no switch. One was the finance guy who just happened to answer the phone.

Get used to it, looking for a locked limited production 10 year old truck is not easy, seemingly especially here.

17. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

on JDM models the info is on the firewall (engine side).
    cheers

18. cruiserdan

We see a bunch of them over here......:D

19. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

hot dang, you are right (went to check cuz I couldn't believe it...)

so it is true that you didn't start this job last week, then? :D

but anyway, I'd trust a sticker much more than a car salesman....

20. cruiserdan

No, not last week or last month or last year or last decade or the decade before that.............

Jimmy Carter was in the Whitehouse at the time. Damn I feel old right now :flipoff2: