Jack's " I have no idea how to forum" thread about a turbo '96 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forward to reading the update and seeing pics for the gears & turbo mods you went with.

Nice write-up so far.

I say its time to talk about the truly fun stuff... the turbo and what it did for my 80. I have around 2000+ miles on the kit as it stands and I can say that I absolutely love to drive this thing. I can preach that it has made a night and day difference. I can state that the new performance is like punching above its weight class. I can say that is it the best upgrade to a petrol 80 series and all of those would be correct, but you knew that all already. Why? Because it is a Wits End (@NLXTACY) product. Joey and his brother and everyone else that had input on this project absolutely obliterated my expectations in regards to the overall quality of the products supplied but also in the resulting performance the kit has had since its installation. The 1fz-fe loves the boost, it thrives with the boost and it makes the driver and all on board smile with, with the Cruiser smile, which is just like the happiness a child experiences on Christmas morning. That is the kind of happiness that cannot be forced, cannot be faked and cannot be tarnished. It never fades, it never is lost but it does age and mature and presents an immense sense of appreciated and satisfaction. Thinking about it, that is what owning a Land Cruiser is about, isn't it? Regardless of it the rig sees only dirt or only street. We love them and they make us happy, which is all that flipping matters!

Wow, am I distracted! Back to the turbo talk, ha! What else can I say? I can talk about the differential gear ratios that I have and what they are like with the turbo. I can talk about coolant temperatures and how my, I think original, radiator is doing on a non modified fan clutch. I can tell you about why I am confident in my over 5 year old head gasket repair. I can talk about the custom made full 304 stainless Vibrant exhaust, that my brother fabricated for me and the fantastic sound it makes. I can talk about what is left to be done in regards to the turbo project. I can talk about what it is like driving in low range in many different conditions. Conclusively, I want to hear from my friends on here as to what they want to know and then maybe we will cover all of it, and then some. Enough already, right? I agree, I think it's time for everyones favorite part, the pictures. Everything was sooooo clean...... :poof::flipoff2:

Jack

IMG_5322.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

IMG_5927.jpeg

IMG_6009.jpeg

So after reading the Turbo Owners thread, I have noticed that a fair collection of individuals where talking about how their exhaust was letting them down. So lets talk about that today and the amazing work that my brother Joe did fabricating this piece of art as well as my friend Jerry with his amazing TIG skills to seal it up.

Starting with 304 stainless straights and mandrel bent pieces, Joe spent nearly a weeks worth of time measuring, testing and cutting pieces to make this beauty into what it is. It fits perfectly with the turbo kits down pipe without any massaging or motivation. It is tucked up within the frame rails to ensure maximum clearance, another big joy of living in a part of the country that does not require smog tests. :flipoff2: :rofl: Getting to the rear, the exhaust bends up and crosses over the frame rail into a stainless Vibrant Performance muffler which does a fantastic job of making it sound sporty yet quiet for when you are properly overlanding. :stinkyfeet: Post muffler, it swings up over the frame once again then bends down to right above the rear axle without a tip or resonator. This may sound rather peculiar, but I like the look and I LOVE the sound, so its a win-win-win! Now let us have some pictures!

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

Last edited:
Hellllllooooo!! It has been a hot minute! It is rather amazing how ground shatter starting a new job can be. Now that I am about three months in and have found my stride again, I can get back to doing what I love. EVERYTHING Land Cruisers! Back to the turbo project, I remember this being one of the most difficult decisions. Where does one mount auxiliary gauges within the LHD 80 series? There were a few threads about repurposing column mounts from sedans. I also saw discussion about mounting a small screen that would display all the vitals too. All in all there was not anything that I really fell in love with. So after I bought the gauges, I spent a lot of time just sitting in the drivers seat and trying to imagine where to put them. I tried overhead (not reasonable). I tried on the dashboard (much to intrusive). I looked and considered the space where the clock and fan are located. Ultimately and rather embarrassingly, mounting them where they are was the initial worst case scenario. However, after getting them locked in there and the mount built. My brother and I were over the moon. It does not rattle off road. The gauges are in a line of sight that is very easy to view and read. Collectively, I could not be happier. Plus, now I have a usb charger too. The power to this unit is from the CD changer that has been removed. Foreshadowing alert..... there are some interesting ideas brewing for that space! Cheers everyone and enjoy your weekend! Make sure there is a bit of Land Cruiser in it too!

7E32544D-41AE-4743-89FD-26DBA5F3C9D8.jpeg

BD5FF943-2B48-4F0A-8B02-77B541A58826.jpeg

A few posts ago, I talked about how how the 4.88 gears and the turbo performed. The thing is an absolute ripper!! It is so much fun in the sand and the mud! It builds boost and you get fantastic wheel speed and you hammer through anything! It is a riot! However, its a two edge sword, because I find myself having to sit at 2800-3k rpm when trying to cruise at 75mph with highway traffic. So here is the million dollar question. Is there a way that I can keep high range low speed and low range wheel spinning fun all while being able to lower the rpm while on the highway? I have been looking at transfer case gearing but I am a little turned around with the lingo. Underdrive v overdrive and so on. Any help would be amazing! I have a video of what sorta fun I have tried to describe, if anyone is keen to see it! 🤘🐱🐉

What size are those tires? Look too small for 4:88 if you want road use as well. Stock gearing with underdrive low range would suit you well I bet.

There is a set of gears that can give you a lower gears in low range and a higher cruising gear. Get ahold of Kurt from @cruiseroutfit. I would give you something like 33% lower gears in low range and 10% higher gears in high range so your 2800-3000 cruise would be 2520-2700.

A few posts ago, I talked about how how the 4.88 gears and the turbo performed. The thing is an absolute ripper!! It is so much fun in the sand and the mud! It builds boost and you get fantastic wheel speed and you hammer through anything! It is a riot! However, its a two edge sword, because I find myself having to sit at 2800-3k rpm when trying to cruise at 75mph with highway traffic. So here is the million dollar question. Is there a way that I can keep high range low speed and low range wheel spinning fun all while being able to lower the rpm while on the highway? I have been looking at transfer case gearing but I am a little turned around with the lingo. Underdrive v overdrive and so on. Any help would be amazing! I have a video of what sorta fun I have tried to describe, if anyone is keen to see it! 🤘🐱🐉

Last edited:
Thank you sir! That was exactly the answer I was hoping to receive! 🤘

There is a set of gears that can give you a lower gears in low range and a higher cruising gear. Get ahold of Kurt from @cruiseroutfit. I would give you something like 33% lower gears in low range and 10% higher gears in high range so your 2800-3000 cruise would be 2520-2700.

Currently sitting on 35s and I genuinely love the 4.88s with that tire size. It is such a riot to drive both on the street and in the dirt. Cruising at anything above 70mph is my only complaint, just requires a lot of revs to do it. I don't think I can bring myself to go back to 4.11s, I have become a boost junkies who needs his fix! Wits End is solely responsible for that!!

What size are those tires? Look too small for 4:88 if you want road use as well. Stock gearing with underdrive low range would suit you well I bet.

if you over drive the high range only in the t-case you will lower you on road rpms and keep the same low range for crawling and such. it should equate out to about 4.56 in the axles give or take a little bit either way. if you under drive the high range that will increase you r road rpms but will be better at low speed for off road.

if your satisfied with the low range performance than i wouldnt even bother with the low range gears

Thank you! That is exactly the explanation that I needed. Now, its time to save some monies for t-case gears!

if you over drive the high range only in the t-case you will lower you on road rpms and keep the same low range for crawling and such. it should equate out to about 4.56 in the axles give or take a little bit either way. if you under drive the high range that will increase you r road rpms but will be better at low speed for off road.

if your satisfied with the low range performance than i wouldnt even bother with the low range gears

You can overdrive high and underdrive low.

There is beating a dead horse and then there is taking about cooling/radiators etc with the 1fz engine. My question to you (short and sweet) ((I am not looking for what brand to buy or any of that either)) is, can you tell me what is to "blame" for rising coolant Temps when under load that then fall when idling? Always looking to make improvements. Thanks in advance! P.S. I had this question prior to the turbo as well.

There is beating a dead horse and then there is taking about cooling/radiators etc with the 1fz engine. My question to you (short and sweet) ((I am not looking for what brand to buy or any of that either)) is, can you tell me what is to "blame" for rising coolant Temps when under load that then fall when idling? Always looking to make improvements. Thanks in advance! P.S. I had this question prior to the turbo as well.
Simply put, the engine is burning a lot more gas to make a lot more heat to make the power your foot is demanding. Do you get hotter when you exert yourself physically even though your cooling system is working?

Higher rpm will reduce load by reducing manifold pressure. If I were you, I’d stick with the gearing set up you have and maybe just toss a set of the 3.12 low range gears in the transfer case. The 1fz revs freely and cruising at 2800-3000rpm makes no difference to you engine. In fact max torque comes in at 3200 rpm so theoretically, this is an efficient rpm.

Simply put, the engine is burning a lot more gas to make a lot more heat to make the power your foot is demanding. Do you get hotter when you exert yourself physically even though your cooling system is working?

Higher rpm will reduce load by reducing manifold pressure. If I were you, I’d stick with the gearing set up you have and maybe just toss a set of the 3.12 low range gears in the transfer case. The 1fz revs freely and cruising at 2800-3000rpm makes no difference to you engine. In fact max torque comes in at 3200 rpm so theoretically, this is an efficient rpm.

Certainly do not feel obligated to answer my additional questions, but I am keen to learn as much as I can. First being, is there an item (intercooler/louvers/new rad & fan clutch) that would help ease some of the heat within the system? Secondly, I cannot seem to find the understanding as to the low range gears switch. Will these assist highway driving speeds in a way that I cannot seem to think of?

I really like the gearing ratio and behavior of the turbo/4:88s/35s, I just want to ensure reliability and longevity as well! Thank you in advance!

All of the parts you mentioned that could possibly improve heat shedding are available. Joey @NLXTACY at Wits-End would be the man to talk to about this.

The low range transfer case gears play no part in high range street driving but would give you about 25% lower crawl ratio. On the other hand, the under drive and over drive high range gears do. Under drive will boost rpms about 10%, something you don’t need with 4.88’s and 35’s. The overdrive gear set will mimic at set of 4.56 axle gears, or there about, and your rpm’s would be decreased about 10%.

All of the parts you mentioned that could possibly improve heat shedding are available. Joey @NLXTACY at Wits-End would be the man to talk to about this.

The low range transfer case gears play no part in high range street driving but would give you about 25% lower crawl ratio. On the other hand, the under drive and over drive high range gears do. Under drive will boost rpms about 10%, something you don’t need with 4.88’s and 35’s. The overdrive gear set will mimic at set of 4.56 axle gears, or there about, and your rpm’s would be decreased about 10%.
Thank you! Time to do some more researching/budgeting. :flush:

Speaking of coolant temps, I find myself in the 210deg + rather easily on the hotter days. Now that's fall, water temps can go 200+ on hill climbs with couple of psi of boost. This is with a new Koyo radiator. In the summer, my a/c routinely cut off as I headed home from work, with an elevation gain of 2k with a steady 70mph cruise.

Interesting factoid: I do indeed have a lot of back pressure from the exhaust system due to 2 1/8" piping plus an aging Bosal muffler. I confirmed this by opening up the system at the downpipe and she easily went to 7psi, at which point a chub developed :rofl: . Today, I'll reconnect the downpipe and open up the exhaust right before the muffler to rule out the magnaflo cat is indeed high flow. I have 2.5" all the way to the muffler inlet.

I'm running 4.56s+315s and this is a sweet combo with the turbo with really long legs for hwy. At 2800 rpm, I'm holding steady at 80mph and the boost comes on gently on hill climbs with the cruise control on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom