Builds Jackie: 1996 FZJ80 Survivor. A rolling resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm going to get a core engine and transmission for the "not a project" this weekend in case the engine issues take a turn for the worst.

That's a little less project-y than the full engine, and other things, rebuild than I undertook. Probably a good call !

Jason

Today was the starter and the PHH. The starter was replaced with a Duralast unit by the PO back in 2016 roughly 40,000 miles ago. It had been giving me the grind occasionally, usually when the car had sat for a few days and the voltage might have been a bit low. I went back with the cold weather Denso.

I'd say we got our money's worth out of the PHH. Based on the clamp style on the pipe end, I'm guessing this is original to the truck. Seems hard to believe considering the mileage. I was lucky that when they replaced the engine, they did not bolt the pipe with the bolt that is impossible to get. So when I unbolted the top one, then cut the hose off, the pipe just came out super easy. I was able to put the new hose on the pipe out of the truck.

phh before.jpg

This picture sums up the days's progress. Should be good for a while in this neighborhood..

phh after.jpg

Alit of goodness going on in this thread! Great work!

Very similar situation with my PHH, 277 thousand miles, pretty sure it was original. Ripped in in half pulling it off. Time bomb just waiting., good job defusing it.

Jason

I'm starting to shop for lift kits. Looking to run about 33" tires but I would like a fair bit of travel so I'm thinking a 3" lift. The diffs are coming out to get lockers, so regearing is an option, but I don't think I need it with 33 inch tires. Truck will be a tourer but will make up for my ability to make very bad decisions off road.

I'm starting to shop for lift kits. Looking to run about 33" tires but I would like a fair bit of travel so I'm thinking a 3" lift. The diffs are coming out to get lockers, so regearing is an option, but I don't think I need it with 33 inch tires. Truck will be a tourer but will make up for my ability to make very bad decisions off road.
Do not make the same mistake I did and get 35s and regret it. Are you sure you want to only go with 33s, if you are only going with 33s there is really no reason to re-gear. If and when you go to 35+ is when you should consider re-gearing.

As far as the lift, consider your future modifications ie drawers, tents, etc. If you are going to add weight go with a 3" lift with heavy springs in the rear. Dobinsons has a great reputation and the ride quality (from what I read) is great with the progressive springs. OME can be stiff and with a "E" rated side wall on a 35 you can experience a rough ride. OME BP-51 shocks are a great option as they have adjustments for both rebound and compression, but can be expensive.

After 2 weeks, she's back from the body shop.

Before
tailgt b4 1.jpg
tailgt b4 2.jpg

After

after tailgate.jpg

I know the wiper is missing, its off to get painted. I have a new badge to install when the weather cooperates.

Now that she is back from the body shop, its time to jump on the tools. I'm trying to get her ready for a beach camping trip next weekend in Padre Island. First up is to replace the passenger side wheel bearing. The drivers side isn't bad yet, and it will get replaced when I do the birfs in a little bit. Birfs are just now starting to leak, so I have some time.

The last guy in here was a Permatex overachiever. I had to take the wire wheel to both mating surfaces of the drive axle hub. Turns out a 45 ACP barrel brush is the right diameter to get the sealant out of the holes.

Drive axle hub splines and the CV splines look good. There was still a lot of grease and you could even tell it was red in spots. In with the Marlin Crawler bearings and she's good in this department for the trip.

wheel brg.jpg
45 flng.jpg

Last edited:
Padre Island is 10 hours away, and the current audio situation is dismal. No antenna, the CD player doesn't work, and the tape player doesn't work. So in with the JVC double DIN. Wireless Carplay, XM, all the modern accoutrements.

IMG_9434.jpg

Next up on the trip prep was the leaking fuel tank. I'm lucky enough to have access to a lift, which makes this job a lot easier.

IMG_9442.jpg

She had the typical leak on the top of the tank.

IMG_9438.jpg

I replaced the primary fuel filter and the fill and vent hose while I was in there. I also replaced to two small rubber hoses at the top of the tank. The return line and whatever the second one is.

IMG_9439.jpg
IMG_9441.jpg

The inside of the tank looked pretty clean. I'm happy with that.

IMG_9440.jpg

Here's the Padre Island Trip report. I'll stick to the highlights and let the pictures do the talking. My boys have never done any beach driving. I've done Hatteras and Port Fourchon when you could drive on it. Son #1 lives in Houston, so it makes a convenient first leg from the coast to H-town. Then 4 hours to the sand.

Weather was awesome. Warm in the day, shorts and a t-shirt, then jeans and a light jacket at night for the fire. Winds were mild by Padre Island standards until Sunday. Not one mosquito bite. The fish also were not biting.

This is the approach ramp, sorry for the dirty windshield;

IMG_9465.jpg

The first 5-10 miles are pretty hard, especially a few hours after the low tide. We were at mile 16 or so in about an hour. The sign at Mile 5 says 4WD past this point, but it wasn't too bad on that day. We were worried about having 120 miles of fuel in 4WD conditions, so we brought extra and strapped it to the roof.

IMG_9469.jpg

Lots of buoys and ocean debris. Apparently, the predominant wind and current put everything on the west coast of the GOM.

IMG_9467.jpg
IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

Last edited:
First night's camp between mile 15 and 20. This tarp setup created a lee we could cook in. Worked pretty well. The T4 is set up as close to the 80 and tied to it. We used this same set up for Saturday night.

IMG_9472.jpg

Sunset over the dunes.

IMG_9471.jpg

Dinner was steak fajitas.

IMG_9475.jpg

This must be the no wake zone.

IMG_9482.jpg

Saturday morning, it was clear we had some visitors in the night.

IMG_9476.jpg

We booked it down to the south end. We ate lunch down there and just enjoyed the warm sun and a bit of cell phone signal. Dinner was filet mignon and a baked potato. Dessert was Apple Crumble in the Dutch oven.

IMG_9488.jpg
IMG_9489.jpg

We knew the wind was going to come up overnight. Forecast called for 25-30 knots. The tarp held in the night, but the fine sand covered everything.

IMG_9490.jpg

But the sunrise over the inlet was awesome.

IMG_9493.jpg

Overall we had a blast. No vehicle issues. I drove the whole way in high range all wheel drive. Never had to lock the CDL. We headed back Sunday AM on a high tide, and I had to stay closer to the dune in the soft stuff, but that only resulted in the occasional downshift, unlocked high range was fine. Tires were at 20 psi.

We had a blast and will definitely recommend it.

So overall, over 1450 miles of driving, with 120 miles of it on the beach. Due to the crazy Texas 75 MPH speed limits, she got a pretty good "Italian Tune Up". No issues with the car. And this happened:

IMG_9495.jpg

In addition to all the other typical 80 series problems this car has, it also has a bad window washer valve. This part came all the way from the UAE via Amayama. It is the little things, but slowly this is becoming a pretty driveable truck.

wash.jpg

Next weekend is the #2 Knock Sensor replacement and all four window runs and the rear door lock actuators.

Looks like a fun trip.

Curious what the cost was for the rear hatch repair and paint? Were other areas painted? Assuming the glass was removed, did they find more rust under the gasket, glass reinstalled with a new gasket, or??

$500 cash for the rear hatch. The tailgate was painted to blend the new paint in. They did not find more rust under the glass. They had the option of using a new OEM gasket that I provided, and they said that the existing gasket was in good condition and preferred to use it as it was already well molded to the glass.

The repair isn't perfect, but I was mainly concerned with repairing the rust, which was accomplished.

Last edited:
Yesterday was Engine Knock Sensor repair, rear window runs, and rear door actuators.

Knock sensor: Very hard to photograph this since it is way up there by the PHH. The engine harness side connector broke. I didn't have the depinning tools, and the copper bar was still poking out of the sensor, so I soldered a male spade connector to it and reinstalled it. I crimped the female to the broken wore from the engine harness. Cleared the code and it hasn't come back. Must be good enough for now. What a difficult location to strip and crimp a wire...

Did the window runs and door lock actuators at once. Pretty straightforward as others have posted. I did not lube the physical lock by the handle, and now the locking via the power lock button is only partial. I lubed the snot out of it on the other side and that side works great. So I need to take the door card back off that side and lube it up.

The door lock actuator change it self is very straightforward. I elected to replace the entire actuator as both common problems (broken plastic, worn motor brushes) are contained within the actuator assembly, plus the Aisin part was something like $40 from Rock auto.

IMG_9542.jpg
IMG_9544.jpg

Next up on the trip prep was the leaking fuel tank. I'm lucky enough to have access to a lift, which makes this job a lot easier.

View attachment 3211806

She had the typical leak on the top of the tank.

View attachment 3211803

I replaced the primary fuel filter and the fill and vent hose while I was in there. I also replaced to two small rubber hoses at the top of the tank. The return line and whatever the second one is.

View attachment 3211804View attachment 3211808

The inside of the tank looked pretty clean. I'm happy with that.

View attachment 3211805
Nice! How did you find out where the leak was coming from? Did you find it before or after you removed the tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom