Jack Taylor Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If this is where the club meets, why don't people recomend taking their cruisers there for mechanical work?

I think it's mainly because not many of us have used them before. Our relationship with the dealership is somewhat strange. The arrangement for us to hold meetings in their conference room was made several years ago by club members that are no longer active. When I joined in Feb 2005, it seemed like we kinda just walked in every month and nobody asked us questions. The sales managers just seem to know that we were the cruiser guys that came in every month.

We've since tried to re-establish relationships with some of the staff, if for no other reason than to express our gratititude for allowing us to use their space. We've also encouraged them to participate in some of our Swap Meets, but I don't know that we've contacted the service department.

Also, a lot of us with older rigs like to do the work ourselves when we can, and if we can't we can probably find an independent shop with more reasonable rates. I don't think there are many guys at Taylor that know old Land Cruisers. But I do think that at least one club member gets service done there, and he seems to be happy.

So, that was basically no help, huh?

Edit: also, the parts department gives club members a 10-20 percent discount on parts. I've picked up a few things there that I needed ASAP.

Felix,
Actualy, that helps a lot. I have had my fj for 2 years and had a mechanic buddy that worked on it while I watched. I'm tring to learn as much as I can but I don't have the tools or the knowledge to fix what needs fixing. I need a valve adj, new exhaust, distributer change and help with rust. Thanks for the quick reply!

What kind of FJ you got? And where in Alexandria are you? I can help with at least some of that list, and I'm sure we can find guys to help with the rest. If you need that all taken care of ASAP and want to spend the money, go for it. But if you're willing to wait for some help, get your hands dirty, and possible learn a lot, we should be able to help you.

Edit: except for maybe the exhaust work. That might take a trip to a muffler shop.

Stock '78 fj40. I live in kingstowne. I don't have/ want to spend the money and I would absolutley love to get help and learn.

Cool. Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow? If so, are you bringing the 40?

My wife and I have plans for Wed night. I didn't realize it was going to be this week. If we have a tech day this month I will be there w/ cruiser. If not I guess I will have to wait until June.

Well, if you want to get together sometime before then, I could at least take a look at the truck with you. I've done the valve job before, but I've not replaced a dizzy. Can't be too hard, though, we just need to make sure that it's lined up correctly. My guess is that you should probably replace the distributer before adjusting the valves. Have you looked into places to get a dizzy?

Well, if you want to get together sometime before then, I could at least take a look at the truck with you. I've done the valve job before, but I've not replaced a dizzy. Can't be too hard, though, we just need to make sure that it's lined up correctly. My guess is that you should probably replace the distributer before adjusting the valves. Have you looked into places to get a dizzy?

It's very easy to change the dist, however! You need to make sure that you properly engage the oil pump drive at the bottom of the distributor. If not, you'll have NO OIL PRESSURE even through the truck will start right up. This has cost a few guys a motor.

Always a good idea to make sure you have a working oil pressure gauge and check it after you R&R the distributor...

Swapping an old and busted, worn out and tired dist has breathed life back into a few trucks for me. I like the DUI unit and the OEM Non USA unit. I think www.nardek.com still has some (too bad they don't have any more new carbs) and you can get one from marksoffroad.net or sor.com

Rebuild the carb and intake/exh manifolds, get a new dist, super tune the motor and you'll think you have a V8.

-Stumbaugh

the mechanic I take my '05 xterra to said he just didn't know what or where to get what I needed. I am the third owner and the previous two did some aftermarket stuff here and there. I really need a couple of you guys to look at it and help me diagnose what it needs done and maybe even help me do it. Some of what has already been done may be cheap and I don't know enough to pick that stuff out. I love my truck and I just want to keep it in the best mechanical shape I can while keeping true to its "OG"ness. I want to keep it in the fam if you know what I mean.

Although there are certainly more qualified guys than me to do it, I'd be happy to stop by (or have you come over to my place) and take a look at your truck. I might not know a '78 distributor from a '75, but I can tell you if there's anything really crazy under there.

Or you could take some decent photos of the engine bay and post them up for all of us to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom