Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try a welding supply store. I know pipe fitters, welders, plumbers that have some big pipe stands that have an ACME screw with a large "wing-nut" for adjusting.

i have a pair of 15 ton bus jacks i got from my local DOT shop when they had an auction.
look for your local Municipality auctions.

Found on another searchable thread here :rolleyes: "The 12-ton jack stands at Harbor Freight have the highest lift height of any (any in the somewhat affordable range anyway) jack stand at 30.5"..."

got mine from HF, great purchase. Inspires confidence when under there.
(12 tons might be for both, though)

informationjunky said:
I bought the Harbor Freight ones when I put my lift on my 80, FYI they were on sale for ~$40 pair.

Ya they go on sale sometimes. I think I paid around the same when I installed my lockers.

informationjunky said:
I bought the Harbor Freight ones when I put my lift on my 80, FYI they were on sale for ~$40 pair.

aaargh, I paid $85..... :mad:

airon23 said:
Thanks guys I think I may need to run down to the nearest harbor freight and pick some up. Those 10 ton ones look cool but don't know about the structural soundness. How'd they work for you.

if your asking about mine.....
they rock 10xton=a freak'n lot and x that by 2 cause each one is rated at 10 tons
i never felt more secure under my 60,than when i was using them

I was thinking of this, they'd be handy lifting a body off of the frame.

I said this before, but I think the stands are usually rated for both together, not separately... Anybody has clear proof otherwise?

A reputable stand will have a weight rating stamped on it. It sure better be able to hold that weight safely, plus a lot more.

e9999 said:
I said this before, but I think the stands are usually rated for both together, not separately... Anybody has clear proof otherwise?

Stands are not rated in pairs, that's just a silly idea. They aren't joined at the hip or anywhere else and you can buy a 12T stand, or any other weight, individually if you like. They're sold in pairs because that's the way they're most often used.

Would you ask if a size 12 pair of shoes was two size six shoes? :doh:

honk said:
Stands are not rated in pairs, that's just a silly idea. They aren't joined at the hip or anywhere else and you can buy a 12T stand, or any other weight, individually if you like. They're sold in pairs because that's the way they're most often used.

Would you ask if a size 12 pair of shoes was two size six shoes? :doh:

great! and your evidence for this is...?

it makes perfect sense for the manufacturer who sells 2 stands in a box to print a 5,000 lbs spec on the box meaning the stands can handle a 5,000 lbs car. Consider that if you use only one, you're likely lifting only one side, i.e. one half the weight of lifting both sides...

Anyway, I would love to be convinced otherwise...

OK, one more piece of information

given that "hearsay" info is only as good as the price paid for it, I went back and actually looked for the instructions sheet that came with my HF 12 ton jacks.

Here is what it says:

"Capacity: 12 tons (evenly distributed over two jack stands)"

And frankly, given how puny my "3 tons" Craftsman look compared to the "12 tons" HF, I would not be surprised at all if the 3 tons would be for both too....
Unfortunately, the instructions for those doesn't say explicitly what the load is for. However, in the same table it lists the weight but it's clearly for 2 stands, and it also says that the stands "must always be used in pairs". So draw your own conclusions....

Having never bought any jackstand as a pair in one box, I'll have to take your word for what you found. I do know that I would not use any stand that was not marked individually as to it's capacity. It's usually cast or stamped into the base of the thing somewhere. If HF sells something which requires a reliance on some promotional print on a box or a loose inserted set of instructions I wouldn't give it a second glance and there ought to be some sort of ban placed on their practice of packaging in a manner meant to mislead the ignorant or foolish.

You say that you paid what for those? "evenly distributed over two stands" would be difficult to measure and what if the weight were not so well distributed? Do both collapse? Or only one.. I'd throw them away destroyed so that no one else would share risk of using something that may be made of a steel equivelant to hard candy.

BTW, Craftsman and HF are equivelant tools in many if not most cases. Sears sells Chinese made crap and even stoops to putting the once reliable Craftsman name onto them.

edit: Yep, every stand sold at HF is marked for a total that is intended for a pair. I mean each stand is stamped "6 tons" but their spec page astericks to say "when distributed evenly over a pair. THAT'S NEFARIOUS!! IMO, and I've never seen it done before. Guess it's a matter of you get what you pay for but in these cases a collapse can kill. Not such a big deal if a person knows to halve the marked capacity if using just one jack but still, why are they allowed to do this? Where's DOT?, OSHA? Oh yah- these aren't meant for pros to use, only expendable civilians. Besides, how many people have a 12 ton weight vehicle in their driveway?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom