J80 Speedometer fault - help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
1st post, I'll add an intro elsewhere shortly. Not an 80 owner myself but my Dad is and Ive been helping him maintain his UK 12v J80 4.2 for 10+ years.

The speedo and odo recently stopped working and I cant get to the bottom of it. Ive searched a fair bit on here but could not find anything specific to this issue. The failure was not immediate. The speedo initially failed when the car was cold, then would spring into life within 1/2 mile. That lasted 1-2 weeks then it just gave up and stopped. We sourced a replacement gauge cluster from Garry Rigby and fitted that. This resolved it for about 500 miles then the same thing happened. The VSS was the next obvious culprit. This was removed and bench tested according to the extract of the Toyota manual I found in another thread on here, it worked fine (ie 4x pulses per rev). We also got a new replacement to fit, again no change, with either gauge cluster.

What am I missing? Ive had one gauge cluster completely in bits to look for burnt out components etc, all look good. On both clusters both the odometer and speedometer failed simultaneously, so it cant be one of the motors in the gauge itself.

The wiring under the car is fine, the cable to the VSS has not been damaged. Ive tested continuity of 2 pins to +12v and earth, the other is obviously the signal wire. I don't know where to chase that to. In the dash, there is no obvious damage to any of the wiring loom. There are no blown fuses either.

Im a bit stuck., any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

PS as a seperate issue, there is a small oil leak coming from the transfer box where the VSS interface piece fits in (The part that has the take off shaft to drive the VSS itself). Can replacement seals be sourced for this?

Hi all,
So an update on this. The VSS was indeed healthy, so turned my attention back to the speedo itself. Turns out the darkened tracks on the speedo pcb were high resistance, and were the cause of the fault. I bridged the bad ones out with a bit of wire. I also re-soldered a few of the components as some were a little dry, or had signs of hairline cracks, maybe making a high resistance contact. This all sorted the issue anyway, the speedo works again perfectly.

Pic of the repaired speedo below, before I applied PCB protective varnish.
J80 speedo repair.jpg

If anyone has a similar fault, I'd be happy to carry out the same repair for a small fee. Im UK based. Please pm me for details.

I just noticed the intermittent speedo/odo failure this week, thanks for the info on a possible culprit.

The orange wire is obviously your bridge. Where does it terminate to? It wraps to the side not pictured. Thanks. My speedo and odometer stopped. The used replacement odometer doesn't work, but the speedometer does. I'm ready to tear into the original to see if there's a chance of repairing it. Thanks again.

The orange wire is obviously your bridge. Where does it terminate to? It wraps to the side not pictured. Thanks. My speedo and odometer stopped. The used replacement odometer doesn't work, but the speedometer does. I'm ready to tear into the original to see if there's a chance of repairing it. Thanks again.
Hi Doug,
The wire goes behind the pcb then pops back up through a hole in the middle of the track, this is the solder joint you see immediately to the left of where the orange wire disappears. This just seemed a logical place to finish the jumper as the remainder of the track was good from here on.
Good luck with the fix.

Hi Doug,
The wire goes behind the pcb then pops back up through a hole in the middle of the track, this is the solder joint you see immediately to the left of where the orange wire disappears. This just seemed a logical place to finish the jumper as the remainder of the track was good from here on.
Good luck with the fix.

Hi Doug,
Good luck with the fix.
Thank you for the reply. Your post gives me hope. Cheers and happy trails!

So I don't know if this got solved... but........

I used to be a service technician in the satellite industry and had similar problems that involved temp changes. It turns out that if a wire was cut JUST A TINY BIT TOO SHORT, it would on occasion shrink with a cold temperature situation and create an open circuit, and then reconnect when the sun would hit the cable and warm up...

I do not know if this applies to your situation, but it was just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom