J100 Wheels lockup when turning left or right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20200929_095945.jpg
A little history of this problem.. the LC developed a distinct HUM very loud when I ease off the accelerator my best description it's the sound I think a hub bearing would make when its gone bad.both front axle were changed late 2020. The humming started late February 2021. The mechanic says it needs a transfer case.he told me when he test drove it that the heels lock up when turning left or right..it wasnt giving me that problem when I brought it there..I picked it up from them for a second opinion and behold it is locking up on a turn..Locking up meaning the wheels stop turning. My LC 381K miles, 2002 got it as a mechanic car in 2019 and decided it may have some life left north east car solid frame. I dont much of its history VIN JTEHT05J222029210

Does the button turn on the light in the dash when pressed?

if it doesn’t, that may be your issue. Could have been on the whole time; if not, could have been on for a long time and then caused some damage.

No I've never seen a light come on for the diff lock tried several times with button pressed in and button out..no light. Owned the LC for 2 yrs

No I've never seen a light come on for the diff lock tried several times with button pressed in and button out..no light. Owned the LC for 2 yrs

Sounds like it could have been engaged and the light was out? Damage to the transfer case would definitely cause something like this I would think.

Remove the front drive flanges and If it moves at all the center is locked

Great I'll ask my mechanic to try that.. do you have a suggestion why the humming started. I mentioned it in my original post.
Bearings are easy to check, jack front wheels off ground and see if you can wiggle the tire from the 12 and 6 position. In my experience bearing roar can be heard when under acceleration as well as coasting.

In my non-mechanic uneducated opinion that sounds like something in the transfer case or diff making noise when you are coasting. If it's been driving around on the street for a long time with the center locked I'd have to imagine that would toast the front differential and transfer case.

Do the CV's look OK, or is there grease flung everywhere under the truck?

Hopefully someone with more gear and diff experience can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom