I've read the door lock actuator threads, still have odd issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright. I'm still pretty new to this forum but I've been around the internet long enough to know that the "Search" comments are coming, but my issues seem slightly different than others.

We purchased our 2003 LX470 in April and have loved it so far. Since we bought it, the locks/switches/remotes have all worked flawlessly.. Until today. Granted, I probably already know the answer because yesterday and today have been the hottest days of the year so far here in northern IN (90+F). It was hot, so I opened the sunroof when i got to work at 7am. At 4, it was looking like it might rain, so I run out real quick to close the sunroof. I unlock the drivers door with the remote, reach in and close the roof, and then close the door. Walking away, I hit the lock button and got hear the locks click, but no beep.. tried it a couple times and nothing. I came back to find the driver's door still unlocked. Already, I was anticipating having to replace the lock motor.. I fiddled with it for another minute or 2. the switch on the door also has the same effect, nothing. the other doors seem to be working at this point.. I get out, close the door and lock it manually. then hit the button on the remote and still nothing.. I come back again to find the passenger front door unlocked.. Try to lock it and now it's weak.. Ok, that's pretty bad luck right? I cycle the locks again 2, maybe 3 times to see if there are any other issues. Well now none of them work right.. The fronts barely move, the backs sometimes work, but not consistent and after I manually locked all 4 doors, I still couldn't get the alarm to chirp with the remote.. Then I find the rear hatch unlocked.. WTF?? It also had to be locked manually, and once it was, the alarm chirped like it should using the remote..

So what gives? Was this just absolutely terrible luck? I could see 1, maybe even 2 giving out at the same time, but all 5? the results were the same using the remote, as well as the switches on the doors, so I don't think either of those are the issue, and I started the engine and tried to cycle the locks with the same disappointing results, so I don't think it's a voltage thing either.

Am I correct that it's probably a combination of the heat, plus me cycling the locks more than once in a short period of time that killed them all? Bad luck? Or is there something else underlying that I should check?

It means that they are all weak. Hot days will do that. Same thing happened to my LC.

I've never had a chirp...

Battery dead or dying? Not the fob, the truck.

haven't had it checked, but it doesn't seem like it. Truck started just fine and windows and everything else worked like normal. Also, the locks still weren't working even with the truck running.

I had same issue. Fine for first month before warm weather then intermittent failure starting with tailgate then passenger doors. Replaced motors and all work well, even in heat.

Miami heat got the best of mine earlier this year. The straw that broke the camels back was the rear lift not unlocking so I had to crawl back there to get it open.

Changed all the motors and haven't had a problem since.

I just experienced this earlier in the week too. Really hot day and my drivers lock wont close. Was thinking about opening er up and making sure theres no grime in there but went away that evening when it cooled down. Now I just check before walking away when its hot.

I had same issue. Fine for first month before warm weather then intermittent failure starting with tailgate then passenger doors. Replaced motors and all work well, even in heat.

Miami heat got the best of mine earlier this year. The straw that broke the camels back was the rear lift not unlocking so I had to crawl back there to get it open.

Changed all the motors and haven't had a problem since.

How did you guys go about replacing the motors? I remember reading a thread on this but I believe it involved buying some cheap pieces from eBay and doing some surgery with existing parts.

Is there one particular thread that you feel best helped you tackle the project?

I sucked up the cost and bought new OEM to replace bad ones (3 of 5). I suspect driver side was replaced by a PO because they look new compared to passenger side. I’m going to rebuild the old ones with new motors and put them in the parts stash.

I found this thread after receiving my OEM assemblies.

Door Lock Actuator Replacement

I’ll probably replace the motors this winter and follow above thread. I have a ton of projects on my 60 and 62 I need to finish while the weather is good.

How did you guys go about replacing the motors? I remember reading a thread on this but I believe it involved buying some cheap pieces from eBay and doing some surgery with existing parts.

Is there one particular thread that you feel best helped you tackle the project?

The thread above helped me a lot. Just picked up a set of the motors on eBay. The passenger doors and rear hatch were fairly easy. The front doors take some time digging in there to get to the actuators.

I had the electrical system checked, everything is fine. And this morning when it was cooler, the locks all worked fine, but if you cycle them a half a dozen times within a short period of time, they start to get weak and quit one by one.. Guess i'll be replacing all the motors.

The above-mentioned thread is very helpful and I'm pretty comfortable with tackling the procedure.

In that thread, every 2003 model year seemed to have collared motors, so I took a gamble and bought 2 sets of these:

4X FC-280 Motors with Collar - Car Door Lock and Mirror Motors - FC-280PT-22125 | eBay

Hoping they work, and I'll have extras for the future. Thanks for the help everyone!

I had the electrical system checked, everything is fine. And this morning when it was cooler, the locks all worked fine, but if you cycle them a half a dozen times within a short period of time, they start to get weak and quit one by one.. Guess i'll be replacing all the motors.

The above-mentioned thread is very helpful and I'm pretty comfortable with tackling the procedure.

In that thread, every 2003 model year seemed to have collared motors, so I took a gamble and bought 2 sets of these:

4X FC-280 Motors with Collar - Car Door Lock and Mirror Motors - FC-280PT-22125 | eBay

Hoping they work, and I'll have extras for the future. Thanks for the help everyone!
Just an FYI during my search I found there wasn't any consistency with what was used. I bought both types because I didn't want to do the job twice. They were cheap enough. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom