I've owned a bunch of Toyota's... this is my first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past January, for my 33rd birthday, my wife surprised me with something special. I've owned a bunch of Toyota's (3 4Runners, a GX470, an FJ Cruiser TT, a Tundra Rock Warrior) and was raised in a Toyota family (my parents have had everything from an 84 Corolla to a 2013 Tacoma TRD). So these things are in my blood. However, the holy grail in my book has always been the FJ60, something we've never owned. I've always loved them from afar, waiting for the perfect time to jump in and claim one as my own. That time came in January. This FJ60 popped up on Craigslist advertised as a 218k, all original except for paint, 2 owner born and raised New Mexico truck. After looking it over, I decided this was my FJ. It has some very minor surface rust, runs a little bit rough, but it's all there (except for the damn tool kit!). My plans are to get it purring (might end up being quite the project in itself), replace all the worn out suspension parts and add an OME lift, replace the tires, clean and replace interior parts as needed, then take the body off the frame, repaint to the original color, and blast and coat the frame. I'm not a fan of the bright blue but the body was straight with no accident history. Here's some pics from the day I brought it home:
1067978-d3fb7453ef1a3ac9d1cc7e6d0374e4cc.jpg

1067974-c74c53d033b6d4e959ed3c946f49a616.jpg

1067984-631b8162d4d99dbae788aafbd8d68b68.jpg

1067986-52eecfb473ab1a16f95e9189bd339782.jpg

So far I've only had time to do some basic work (oil, valve cover gasket, PCV valve, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter). Next I will replace all of the vacuum lines and a VCV valve and go from there. Thrilled to join the LC family! Looking forward to this journey... I think. :)

fj60.JPG

fj4.jpg

fj6.jpg

fj2.JPG

I see your child already likes it. Cool pics! Like the color. Good Luck and with your knowledge of Toyota's you will do alright. Welcome!

Sorry, but I gotta say when my Uncle lived there, we used to call it, Rio Rat Hole, NM :D No offense, though :D:cheers:

Nice cruiser ! Like the old (older) skool color.

Good luck with 'er.

Another welcome...look forward to hearing more about it. And I dunno, I think that color could grow on me - I might not pick it at a paint shop but its got character and it looks pretty good on a 60! You may take a liking it to it after all.

Looks great, congrats!
Its funny how colors are, to me that color would normally not look good on most vehicle but it is perfect on your 60.
Have fun!

Thanks fellas! Can't wait until it's ready to take fishing and camping. My son and daughter keep asking me to take them for a ride. We've putted around the neighborhood once or twice but only for a few minutes. I need to get some leaks addressed and get it running smooth before I'll do anything more.

Awesome! Congrats on a solid rig and great wife!

I like the color too, sorta close to Light Blue Metallic but no metallic. Is that just a Ford color or something? What was the original body painted?

Great looking 60 brother. I have to agree, the color is actually nice. It's a little different than you normally see. But, I can also understand the desire to tone it down some. Half the fun is wrenching on the rig. Get it baselined and have fun driving it all over. Welcome to the group. Thanks for the pics. The one of you and your daughter under the car is cute. Frame that one and keep it close when she's a teenager. You can look back at it and remember the good years! Hahah!

klinetime574, I'm not sure what the color is currently. Funny you mention Ford... my buddy and I said the same thing. Definitely reminds me of a Ford blue (which is a big reason why I must get it off! haha). I really want this thing to be as original as possible outside of the lift, tire size, and a bumper and winch.

The original color of my FJ is 8B4. When the original owner re-painted it, they did everything but the bay. The job was decent. Not sure how long it's been on their but it's definitely showing it's age.

Great looking 60 brother. I have to agree, the color is actually nice. It's a little different than you normally see. But, I can also understand the desire to tone it down some. Half the fun is wrenching on the rig. Get it baselined and have fun driving it all over. Welcome to the group. Thanks for the pics. The one of you and your daughter under the car is cute. Frame that one and keep it close when she's a teenager. You can look back at it and remember the good years! Hahah!

Thanks! That's actually me and my son. My daughter won't go under it with me... yet. :) She sure loves to take it around the block though.

Funny story, when the picture of her half way out the passenger side window was taken, my son and her were both in the 60. They got in, buckled up (we only went around the block), and then had a really funny look on their faces. I asked what was wrong and they looked at the window crank and said "What's that?". TALK ABOUT FEELING OLD!!! I didn't ever really think about the fact that they've only seen window switches. Now, every time they sit in the 60, they pretend they're in the "old days" riding around on a safari. :steer:

Great looking rig. You will love it.
Looking at your pics I really miss NM.

I love this state. It has it's issues, but as an outdoor enthusiast and fly fisherman, it's paradise. We recently built a house in North Rio Rancho, really close to Bernalillo. The views are amazing! We have the Sandia's in our back yard, and the Sangre de Cristo and Jemez mountains in our front yard. It's a great place to raise a family imo. Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom