I've lost all enthusiasm for my truck, let me vent please.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've tried, in fact I've been trying for decades now finding a shop anywhere close to me that knows cruisers. I regretfully sold my first 80 simply because I couldn't find anyone experienced to work on her and I got tired of her going from one hack to the next. I decided to tackle a lot of things myself thinking screw it I'll get it done this time and did find a kid who knew 80's he did some work for me, but I don't weld....sounds like I'm back to the same problem.
Same problem here. I live in bum **** Kentucky and everyone here loves Dodge, and Ford. No one here knows 80 series for s*** and I have to do it all myself if I want it done right.

Same problem here. I live in bum f*** Kentucky and everyone here loves Dodge, and Ford. No one here knows 80 series for s*** and I have to do it all myself if I want it done right.
I know that isn’t true. You just haven’t found the place.

So picked up the truck last October was really happy to have an 80 again, the lease on my GX didn't expire until late March so figured I had plenty of time to build it up and have it ready to replace it......I was selling the GX for a nice big chunk of change in extra equity since cars had gone nuts.

Got a lot done on her, everything I could do myself anyway, also had it painted, tires, baselined....lots of other stuff yada yada yada and gathered up all the new and replacement parts to make her comfy and pretty. Last things that were left that I couldn't do myself were the sliders and rear bumper, I found a local welder/mechanic who was enthusiastic to take on the job and did good work from what I saw. Dropped it off in early March thinking I was cutting it close but I had time and I did have a second car although not one I should have been using as a daily.

It's now 5 months later and I'm picking the truck back up tomorrow unfinished.

I gave the guy every benefit of the doubt, way more than I should have obviously, he kinda had me over a barrel because if I just said screw you I'm taking it back then I was back at square one. So every week it was "I'll get it done this weekend" or "I got hurt on the job" or whatever other excuse he had. Honestly he's not a bad guy it seems like he's just really lazy and maybe the work was more than he could handle. But there I go making excuses for him...it's become a running joke amongst my family and friends "Frankie when are you getting your truck back", whereas I was giddy talking about it before.

Either way it is what it is I'm done with him, I told him I don't care whatever condition it's in I'm picking it up tomorrow.

He put the sliders on but he cut the cats off to do it and was welding them back on, did this without asking me. He assembled the NWTI rear bumper kit but didn't put it on, that one I'm completely lost on I have to get it in my hands to see what else needs to be done I'm worried it's not a good thing that he assembled it as whoever finishes it for me now won't be able to make heads or tails of it.

So I'm pretty much back to where I was 5 months ago I have to go find a new welder., need my cats welded back on if they even can be and need the rear bumper put on. Mind you I still have pretty much an entire interior to put in it, I bought a refinished interior and a few dozen other small things I need to do including sound deadening which is all going to take time. So what......another month minimum before I can even use the truck? That's assuming I find a competent welder, all the while racking up more miles and destroying my other car which I definitely should not be driving daily in Michigan.

I'm just venting and frustrated don't mind me, at this point I don't even want the truck anymore I'm hoping when I get it back that changes and I'll feel like I reunited with an old friend like I did when I first picked her up. Prices on Toyota trucks are starting to come back to earth for the common ones, I've caught myself looking at a few GX and 4 runners lately....this whole thing has just put a really bad taste in my mouth.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hate to say it, but you really have to be careful and do your homework on who you trust and what you buy. So many people are greedy now days and just want to make a quick buck, without a single care of doing the job correctly or standing behind thier work. With a lot of this stuff you have to really get it in writing and to make sure you and whoever are on the same page. That way when things go south you have something fall back one. Personally I try to operate like a business by vetting places, taking action when there is red flag and just holding people accountable. It not easy because alot of times you have to be the bad guy.

I have had so many instances were people have screwed me over by not giving me the item as described or not delivering when they said would. Luckily PayPal and my bank have come through and refunded the money after filling a dispute. Sucks you have to go that route, but it’s often the only way to protect yourself.

Last edited:
If you have the means it might be better to ship it to one of the Cruiser shops with a good rep on this forum. Won't be cheap, but buy once cry once. Just depends how far you want to go with it.

Depending in the mechanical condition (does it leak, knock, smoke, run rough, etc.?) I'd probably just drive it as much as I could before the Michigan winter sets in. Try to decide what you think needs to be dialed in the most.

I feel your pain I just went through getting a new long block put in mine and it took my (former) mechanic almost a year to get it done. I had to go over to his shop literally every business day to make sure that progress was being made. So glad that nightmare is over.

So picked up the truck last October was really happy to have an 80 again, the lease on my GX didn't expire until late March so figured I had plenty of time to build it up and have it ready to replace it......I was selling the GX for a nice big chunk of change in extra equity since cars had gone nuts.

Got a lot done on her, everything I could do myself anyway, also had it painted, tires, baselined....lots of other stuff yada yada yada and gathered up all the new and replacement parts to make her comfy and pretty. Last things that were left that I couldn't do myself were the sliders and rear bumper, I found a local welder/mechanic who was enthusiastic to take on the job and did good work from what I saw. Dropped it off in early March thinking I was cutting it close but I had time and I did have a second car although not one I should have been using as a daily.

It's now 5 months later and I'm picking the truck back up tomorrow unfinished.

I gave the guy every benefit of the doubt, way more than I should have obviously, he kinda had me over a barrel because if I just said screw you I'm taking it back then I was back at square one. So every week it was "I'll get it done this weekend" or "I got hurt on the job" or whatever other excuse he had. Honestly he's not a bad guy it seems like he's just really lazy and maybe the work was more than he could handle. But there I go making excuses for him...it's become a running joke amongst my family and friends "Frankie when are you getting your truck back", whereas I was giddy talking about it before.

Either way it is what it is I'm done with him, I told him I don't care whatever condition it's in I'm picking it up tomorrow.

He put the sliders on but he cut the cats off to do it and was welding them back on, did this without asking me. He assembled the NWTI rear bumper kit but didn't put it on, that one I'm completely lost on I have to get it in my hands to see what else needs to be done I'm worried it's not a good thing that he assembled it as whoever finishes it for me now won't be able to make heads or tails of it.

So I'm pretty much back to where I was 5 months ago I have to go find a new welder., need my cats welded back on if they even can be and need the rear bumper put on. Mind you I still have pretty much an entire interior to put in it, I bought a refinished interior and a few dozen other small things I need to do including sound deadening which is all going to take time. So what......another month minimum before I can even use the truck? That's assuming I find a competent welder, all the while racking up more miles and destroying my other car which I definitely should not be driving daily in Michigan.

I'm just venting and frustrated don't mind me, at this point I don't even want the truck anymore I'm hoping when I get it back that changes and I'll feel like I reunited with an old friend like I did when I first picked her up. Prices on Toyota trucks are starting to come back to earth for the common ones, I've caught myself looking at a few GX and 4 runners lately....this whole thing has just put a really bad taste in my mouth.
I know it doesn't help but I went through pretty much the same thing only it was at what I was told was the best LC shop in Houston. We had a deal the guy could use the truck as a bit of a filler, but after nine months I had to get ugly and do just what you did. It sucks, but it rarely makes sense to give up on the project.
Sounds like you are better than 1/2 done so just press on. Good Luck in the future, but if someone doesn't do what they say they will move on quickly.

I know that isn’t true. You just haven’t found the place.

I appreciate the reply, but they're too far for me. It's not practical to drive 3+ hours there just for mods I could do myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom