I've got AC woohoo!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went and got a new drier and o-rings from Napa a few weeks ago and installed it. Today I had the afternoon off so I dropped it of at my friends service station to vacuum test it. Although they do a 15 minute test on it he left in on for three hours and to both of our suprise it held near perfect vacuum. He charged it up with 134 and it is freezing cold, I mean freezing. I think on fresh it measured 39' colder on recirc. I was so happy that both the compressor works and that there wasn't any leaks. I've never really had fully functional ac in any of my cars and am pretty stoked it worked out well. That is never the case for me, especially with an ol cruiser, it's always something, but alas, not today. Hears to not having to roll my windows down ALWAYS

Do you have the NAPA part numbers? I need to do the same for my 1987, and soon.

Thanks!

Cheers!

But here's to those who still have to roll down the windows... I have the motion dialed in from countless sports crashes... :D Glad I can put it to use.

No I just walked in and told em a drier for my 85, and for some crazy reason they had it in stock, makes me believe that it is used in other applications. It came with the o-rings and I got some PAG oil to wet the o rings before putting them in. I just cant believe it not only didnt have leaks but the compressor works fine, for now....

It does seem amazing. Was the system depressurized for a long time? I assume so, and seeing that the system didn't have a lot of moisture in it (KY= humid in my book) that's quite the feat. Hope it lasts a long time for ya.

I killed the AC in my Dodge a few months after a switch to 134-A. I'm sure it was leftover contaminants.

how much did the dryer cost and did you replace all the o-rings in you entire system or just hose coming and going to the dryer? Thanks and congrats!

I just got mine repaired also. It stopped working about 2 weeks after I bought the truck.
I bought a new drier and compressor from ACkits.com and had the system flushed and refilled with 134. Great service, I would recommend them and they also have a dedicated forum where you can get some really good tech advice on AC
I don't know exactly how cold the air is out of the vents but I do know it gets too cold to run the fan blower ate more than 3/4 speed on a 95 degree day. I didn't have AC last summer and it gets a little warm here in eastern NC.

Bottom line-
Working A/C=:cheers:

No A/C= you're missing out

is there need to replace the compressor if it appears to spin freely? Or is there another test.

Dang, this has got me thinking. Up until now I just relied on the old 470 AC...four windows down, seventy miles an hour!

I was at autozone and they rent/loan the A/C vaccum and flush tools. I am thinking of doing my own system and converting to 134a. I have no charge now so flush and vaccum and fill.

I want to understand the oring needs as well has whether I need to replace my compressor.

Thoughts on old compressor use.

It came with two o rings, just for the drier in and out. I coated them in PAG oil before I installed it and I too paid about 30 for the drier. My truck had come from Wisconsin, where it had been it's whole life, so I figured it wasnt used. I had it evacuated (old mineral oil etc) and filled with I think 2.6 lbs of coolant. You can put a jumper on the single wire to the battery to see if it comes on, but to truely test it it has to be charged. Under a $100 from my guy to charge and evac and 30 for the drier, and whammo, cold a$$ air that works as well as new cars I've been in.

Does the compressor pulley spin with your hand? That it'll at least tell you if it is locked up. I also put some dye in so that if there is ever a leak we can find it easy.

I want to understand the oring needs as well has whether I need to replace my compressor.

Thoughts on old compressor use.

It's my understanding that if you plan to convert your old compressor to 134 you should replace all of the O-rings (in the fittings and in the compressor) with new 134 compatible rings.
I know there are a bunch of people who've just evacuated their system and added 134 and have turned out okay.
In my case the the previous owner had replaced the compressor with another used compressor and converted. I didn't want to go through the hassle more than once so I bit the bullet and got a reman'd compressor and the other parts also.
In the end I bought a compressor, receiver, expansion valve, freon and new o-rings. I paid to have the parts installed and the system flushed, evacuated and filled for about $600. Best $600 I've spent in a long time.

I think for me, I would never spend that money on AC for this truck. It was either a relatively inexpensive charge with a new drier, or I wouldnt fix it. I dont think I would have bought a compressor, way too many goodies ahead on my list. So I'll just ride this out as long as it works and be happy that it does. If I make it one season here in KY I will have considered it money well spent.

Does the compressor pulley spin with your hand? That it'll at least tell you if it is locked up. I also put some dye in so that if there is ever a leak we can find it easy.

the compressor spins freely by hand and i still have the belt on it. I just drive it around. I think I will get the new dryer, rent the loaner flush kit & vac and then convert to 134a.

I am with you that if its going to cost an arm and a leg I would rather have a lift, bumpers, and some new paint.

Thanks for the advice.

I am getting ready to do the same thing. I plan on changing all of the o rings on the fittings and flushing out the system. Does anybody know if the compressor oil needs to be changed at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom