I've got A/C!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, after a week or so of working on my 60 in my spare time, I took it in to get pressure tested and charged...............and it is NICE AND COLD. I am very happy with it. I replaced the compressor, dryer, O-rings, and belts.

By the way, I am using Freeze 12 instead of R12, and so far it seem to keep up great with the Dallas heat. I know there have been a lot of questions on this stuff, so I will be the guinea pig.

Honestly, I am really not very familiar with the chemical components of Freeze 12, but it is a drop-in R12 replacement that costs about $ 9/lb rather than the $ 60/lb that R12 can run. In most cars, it does not cool as well at idle as R12, but I was told that the Nippondenso Land Cruiser system works unusually well with it, and I tend to agree. So far, so good.

The other cool thing about it is that you can still go back to R12 and not have to retrofit anything. Hoopefully all this proves to be true in the long run.

I need to do the same thing and need all the same parts. Can you tell me where you got them and what the ran you? What did you pay to have it filled and tested? Also and special tricks that I need to know of?
thanks
Blake

Yes, I am pretty sure that you have to have a license for Freeze 12. On my 60, I had to replace the compressor, compressor clutch, O-rings, dryer, and belt. I went ahead and replaced all 3 belts while I was in there, since you have to remove the other 2 to get to the compressor belt anyway.

The Freeze 12 was about $ 9.35/lb, and so the whole pressure test and recharge with Freeze 12 was $ 118. I did all the rest of the work myself.

I bought a used compressor and clutch, but here is the rest (all Toyota OEM):

Dryer: $ 30
O-Rings: $ 5
Belt: $ 10-20, I forget

By the time it was all said and done, I spent about $ 250 to have all new belts and functional A/C.

Oh, and I bought all the parts for mine at Toyota of Dallas. No special tricks that I can think of other than to watch your knuckles when replacing those belts. I still have a band-aid on from that daunting (but relatively simple) task.

Do replace your O-rings, even if the old ones look fine. It is cheap insurance.

cbmontgo said:
Honestly, I am really not very familiar with the chemical components of Freeze 12, but it is a drop-in R12 replacement that costs about $ 9/lb rather than the $ 60/lb that R12 can run. In most cars, it does not cool as well at idle as R12, but I was told that the Nippondenso Land Cruiser system works unusually well with it, and I tend to agree. So far, so good.

The other cool thing about it is that you can still go back to R12 and not have to retrofit anything. Hoopefully all this proves to be true in the long run.

just checked here I can get R12 for $30/lb local Napa, in stock, just need a license, good buddy has one, and I can buy it buy the lb

Hey guys, Maybe this is a dumb question but how do I know my A/C doesn't work... or how do I know if I need to replace stuff. My A/C will turn on and I can hear the compressor running. It does blow out semi cold air, mixed with room temp air. But the outside heat and the large cabin of the 60 over takes the A/C so it's inefficient. Never really ran it cause I enjoy cruisin with the window down. But there are those days where I'm like, damn it's hot wish that A/C worked better. Also I have noticed in Advanced Auto Parts, they sell these bottles of A/C stuff. Haven't really paid any attention to it, or what it is. Just wonderin if any of you guys know what I am talkin about and if it's worth doin or if it's just a temporary fix. Also the little glass window on top, what color am I supposed to see, or am I supposed to see anything. So should I just get it recharged or buy the stuff from advanced or what...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellow cruiser heads, Chuck

I guess I'll take a stab at it.........sounds like you probably have a slight refrigerant leak. You might as well get it pressure tested and recharged. Just be glad that your compressor is still good; that is where the big $$ lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom