i've created a Monster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It wont stop Running

so, now that i had my alt. go bad, i went on a week of searching to find another one, because someone decided to take out the volt regulator and seal up the alt in it. so, today i got one with out an internal regulator and hooked it up, and found that i had a wire marked alt. excitor, so i hooked that up to the black wire comming out of the reg. plug. and the red one to the battery line. (prolly a dumb thing to do) anyway, now it runs, it charges, and works just fine, even too well because when i turn off the key, it still runs (thus the monster part) i had to let out the clutch with the brake on to stop it from running... and i really dont like doing that. so, anyone please tell me what to do, what i did wrong, and what can be done. thx abunch

Last edited:
If you are running a points-type diz, you will have burned up points and a dead battery. Somehow, you are bypassing the ignition switch and still getting power to the distributor/coil.

Better do some checking. I run an HEI and an aftermarket electronic external regulator, so I'm no help. Sorry

Ed

I had the same thing happen on my old Ford tractor. A couple old timers told me to hook a diode up along the wire that runs to the alt. The diode keeps a charge from going backwards, which would keep the ignition live after turning the key off. A 1942 tractor's electrical system is obviously a lot simpler than an FJ's, and I'm sure you would want a more permanent fix, but this might work for you in the mean time.

The same thing happened to me when I rewired my ignition switch. It was what Ed suuggested. i had continuos juice flowing. . I stopped by pulling the battery cable so saved my points. Yours must be dead like Ed said. It seems that red wire would be the likely suspect.

My $.02.

Good luck,

John

This happened to me when we put in our V8, after starting engine wouldn't shut off. When doing so we put in an entire new wire harness. Turned out being the wire from the alternator to the voltmeter I think, it's said on it do not cut, but didn't realize that until after i did. It was a special wire that had a certain amount of resistance to it and when it was cut it didn't have enough. Replaced it and engine shut off fine. Don't know it it will help but that's my story.

the exciter wire or lead going into cab and back of ign. switch needs to be on the acc. position not start or on pos. . it will back feed power from alt. , thru the ign. switch , to fuse panel , thus powering system still. The acc. position is hot when ign. is in run or on and will keep current from backfeeding when off. I have seen where people steal power for ign. system off a factory wire that is powered by the acc. pos. of ign. switch , this will cause same prob. . The excite or field wire needs to be on acc. terminal or acc. powered fuse and the ign. or recharge wire on run or on terminal.

wow, thank you peesalot, i had the red wire comming off the regulator plug going to the on pos, in stead of the acc. ill try that out once it stops raining here in florida

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom