Iuz powered FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI guys , I haven't posted in a while, been spending a lot of time on a lexus forum for worthy info. I have a 73 Fj40 and in the beging stages of a restomod. My plan is to put a lexus 1uz 4.0 V8 in to my cruiser. I have got all of the power train bits sorted out, using the 1uz with a custom bellhousing to an R150 tranny then the marlin crawler adapter toy box to the stock 3spd transfer case. Wiring will be a bit of a pain but I think I'm going with a stand alone unit. My question is if any of you have done this or doing it and if there is any other info on fittment and general issues such as that. Thanks a bunch guys

seems like this sit up could be a little long for a 40
you might want to get some good measurements before you set this plan, in stone.
and who are you going to get to make this bellhousing. it may take a while to find someone to do it and its going to be a lot of money when you do.

I have taken some rough measurments from what I could gather for engine specs online ( don't actually have the motor yet ) and I seems like it should fit , it will be tight though. As for the bellhousing there are two Australian companies that specialize in adapter bellhousing and most of the clutch parts, Dellows and Castlemain. I found them on Lextreme.com, the lexus forum I have been getting most of my info from. Pretty interesting. There is lot of guys stuffing the 1uz in there hilux's, just some more food for though.

Sparky, the 1UZ is a 630mm cube, from flywheel to crank pulley, header to header and sump to top of intake pipe. From my research, you are able to use the ECU that comes standard with these motors,(Lexus Soarer or late model Crown) even though some say you cant because the ECU controls the shifts points for the auto box. There are four black wires with a grey stripe that are the control wires for the auto. Cut and terminate these and you are right to go. A fellow by the name of Deon Ogden in New Zealand recently finished putting one of these in his hilux and used the exact same method as above. (you'll find him on Lextreme with a very good write up of his conversion)Makes for a very cheap conversion if you don't have to shell out for an aftermarket ECU.

No offense, but why go with such a kick-ass , fairly expensive and complex conversion and then throw in a 3-speed t-case as a weak link? Why not go with a Marlin crawler box to a split case?

first off all thank you for calling it a kick-ass conversion, I ussually get the guys who say screw that, thats to much monery and work just put a small block chevy in it. As far as I am concerened that deffeats the whole pupose of owning a toyota with its dependability and toughness. I don't think the t-case will be the weakest part of the drivetrain its actually the transmision I have some doubts about. I'll really not going to hammering this thing off road too much either as sad is that is. I'm going more for an everday driver/show truck with this project.

I almost forgot. Thanks mutley for the info if you very informative

? r150 v8 yuck. but i cannot baby anything either.

just curious but length r150 toybox 3spd lc case, on what wheelbase? sounds long

much more entertained by supra 6cyls ( with a turbo or two.) :) guess i still miss
my supra.

No worries at all Sparky, happy to help. I'm in the midst of doing this conversion on my 60. Sold the 3F and LPG kit off it and will break even by the time I am finished. Ohhh the other thing, the 1UZ-Fe weighs about 110 kilograms (close to 240 pounds) as a long motor. Much lighter then the 3F that was in mine. So if you are thinking of doing suspension rework, maybe leave it until you know how the front will sit. Good luck...

thanks for the advice on the wieght on that. Never really thought about it, now that you bring it up though I may have to get costom front leaves instead of an off the shelf kit. I was hoping to do around a 4 inch lift. Still debating on weather to do that or a SOA conversion with 2 in springs.

so if the r150 will work then the r151 will also ? who did you get your bellhousing adapter from? did you get all the other parts also (clutch/ect?). what was the cost?

dave

yes dave a r151 will work thats actually what I wanted in the first place but the price was right for my r150. I haven't actually commited any dollars to buying a bellhousing kit yet but I have found two companies out of australia that make a kit for this type of swap. Dellows and Castlemain Rod shop. I emailed the guys at castlemain and they said thier kit was 1300 but I think I'm going to go with a dellows kit instead, it seems thier kit might be a higher quality. Check out lextreme.com this is were I have found most of my info.

Hi Sparky, good to things are progressing. Just a word of caution, Dellows buys a lot of their kits from CRS....food for thought. I've spoken to the guys at Dellow's a fair bit over the years with different conversions, and each time they send me to CRS. Anywhoooo..... if the price is right through Dellows, go for it

thanks for the info mutley. Its hard to figure out what products are good and wich ones are not just by reading forum threads sometimes. Most of these guys sound like they know what their talking about most of the time but its hard to weed out the opinions and get it down to strait facts. Thats probably why I have been spending the last seven months checking this forum and lextreme for just about every piece of knoledge I could aquire. But thanks again, and by the way if you have any pics of your FJ could you post them. I would like to see how you have the engine is siting in the engine bay and general stuff like that, that would be cool.

Well the wiring is the last thing I have yet to nail down. As you prabably know these motors come with the ecu and the ect ( transmision controls) in one box unless you are luky enough to be scavaging from a crown. Mutley earlier in this thread said that there are four black wires with grey stripes comming out of the ecu and that you can just cut and terminate them and your good to go. Another way would be to use a stand-alone enginge control management system, which I may use incase I put a turbo on down the line. Of course that option is a lot more expensive, the units alone cost 1200 bucks then instalation and tunning on top of that.

Sparky, happy to post pics, once I buy a camera....its on the list of things to do. (BTW, its amazing how that list never gets any shorter...) DaveFJ40, if you run the standard ecu, then the speed sensors etc will only need to be located in the g/box where the speedo cable is now. IIRC CRS has an adapter/sensor that allows the speed sensor wire to be connected to the speedo cable outlet on the g/box and then allows the speedo cable to pluge into the back of the sensor, which then allows you to retain the cable driven speedo.

Another way to think of it with regard to the wiring, if you are just transplanting the engine and retaining the original ECU, it is self contained. The only thing needed to trace out of your old wiring harness are gauges and ignition. The rest is taken care of by the lexus ecu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom