It's winter, and I could use your help (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter sentient schmoo
  • Start date

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sentient schmoo

Threads
Hey y'all - this is an odd request but one that is dear to me.

As most may know, I live in Asheville. It's a beautiful town filled with all walks of life - many of whom are living on our streets. No matter their reasons for ending up in such circumstances (and please - refrain from judgment - none of us are immune to life's cruelty) they are in serious danger when winter comes. Lives are lost in below freezing temps when they do not have adequate clothing or shelter. Our churches and independent organizations do everything they can, but resources are limited and stretched very thin, and sadly with some groups, come with heavy limitations and judgments. We are already seeing snow at higher elevations and threatening temperatures, and things are expected to get worse!

I would love it if everyone could dig around in their closets and garages for unused camping gear, tents, cookware, bedding, warm layers, tarps, medical supplies - anything, really. I know most of y'all are all about quality over quantity, but we ALL have stuff we've held onto and never used (and likely won't again).

BeLoved Asheville is a non profit organization here in town that puts wonderful effort and care towards our homeless community and is who I will be working with to ensure supplies get to those who need them. I have chosen them because I admire their street medic team and the real concern they have for community members.

I'm not asking for your money or really, much of your time. Just spare gear taking up space - I know of some folks that would be very grateful!

I'm in the Greensboro area semi frequently and would be happy to make rounds to surrounding areas for pick up, and wherever else along the way.

Thanks for considering it.

Hey y'all - this is an odd request but one that is dear to me.

As most may know, I live in Asheville. It's a beautiful town filled with all walks of life - many of whom are living on our streets. No matter their reasons for ending up in such circumstances (and please - refrain from judgment - none of us are immune to life's cruelty) they are in serious danger when winter comes. Lives are lost in below freezing temps when they do not have adequate clothing or shelter. Our churches and independent organizations do everything they can, but resources are limited and stretched very thin, and sadly with some groups, come with heavy limitations and judgments. We are already seeing snow at higher elevations and threatening temperatures, and things are expected to get worse!

I would love it if everyone could dig around in their closets and garages for unused camping gear, tents, cookware, bedding, warm layers, tarps, medical supplies - anything, really. I know most of y'all are all about quality over quantity, but we ALL have stuff we've held onto and never used (and likely won't again).

BeLoved Asheville is a non profit organization here in town that puts wonderful effort and care towards our homeless community and is who I will be working with to ensure supplies get to those who need them. I have chosen them because I admire their street medic team and the real concern they have for community members.

I'm not asking for your money or really, much of your time. Just spare gear taking up space - I know of some folks that would be very grateful!

I'm in the Greensboro area semi frequently and would be happy to make rounds to surrounding areas for pick up, and wherever else along the way.

Thanks for considering it.

I have an idea. I don't personally get over to Asheville or to Greensboro in the Fall or Winter enough since our family lives in Raleigh, but I would still be a good candidate to donate items. I think a lot of folks here would be. My idea is, what if we had people (who can't make it to Greensboro or Asheville) drop items off at the upcoming ONSC Christmas Party? Then have someone, who lives in Greensboro, take those donated items to Greensboro to be picked up? Depending on the number and size of items it may need to be multiple people. @erymer would be the person to talk to about this sort of thing.

That all being said, I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not...feedback is welcome. I'm not sure how much of a challenge the logistics would be. I at least wanted to throw it out there. Food for thought.

Seeing as I might be there, that's a great idea! Also, the monthly meetings are another possibility, if someone at each one could commit to gathering items. I know @forrest5000 said he would. ♥️

Thank you thank you to first round of donations. I took my old tents and bags by a week or two ago when it dipped down to single digits and the street box had some warm layers in it. Today, it was completely emptied out. Happy to fill it back up with nice clean clothing, waterproof shoes, fresh socks and tarp materials. Lots of interest already from those walking nearby. Sometimes I forget just how many folks we have living on the street here.

IMG_20191124_171006~2.jpg

IMG_20191124_170914~2.jpg

IMG_20191124_170120_1~2.jpg

I have an army rucksack and arctic sleeping bag I will contribute, after the Christmas Party.
Look me up.

Y'all - thank you! Upstate Cruisers and ONSC alike showed up with donations in last couple weeks but especially this weekend at the ONSC Christmas party. Trucklet is packed down with hardly any room to spare (thank goodness I didn't bring the pets...) and we will be rolling straight to BeLoved Asheville's drop off.

Everything from cash to sleeping bags / pads to blankets to tents to jackets and a very special, memory laden pack - plus stories of loved ones that also spent their time on the street. You all came together to help with others in mind, family and strangers alike.

To say I didn't cry a little bit would be a lie. No shame here.

IMG_20191208_170243.jpg

Last edited:
Creativity is required when living on the street. When I dropped this off today, someone had unloaded a garbage bag full of quilt scraps / squares. At first I was puzzled but then I realized these make great menstrual pads! A shower curtain makes a great tarp. Sheets can make a hammock.

I will meet you where I can if you'd still like to donate in the future! ♥️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom