It's time to rebuild the knuckles...Anyone want to help in L.A.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there fellow Land Cruiser owners – it's finally time for me to get into the greasy job of wheel bearings, knuckles and front axle inner seals. I have a 1964 FST, which I've been conscientiously restoring over the past 4 years while it simultaneously serves as my daily driver, and it's time to get serious with the front axle.

I'm in Hollywood and looking for some help! I'm competent with repair work, but thought it would be nice to get help from someone who has already done this job before, and knows what to watch out for.

I'll buy lunch, and provide bad jokes. Anyone available tomorrow (Saturday, October 14) or interested sometime soon?

Thanks! -Seth

IMG_5669.JPG

Hey Seth would love to help you but unfortunately we're in Seattle. However, should you have any question about the knuckle build I'll be here to answer any questions. Good luck with the build!

BTW you have a beautiful cruiser!

Hey Seth would love to help you but unfortunately we're in Seattle. However, should you have any question about the knuckle build I'll be here to answer any questions. Good luck with the build!

BTW you have a beautiful cruiser!

Thank you! I'll be sure to shoot you a message if I dive in and get stuck along the way!

With minor exceptions, my 69 rebuild went just like that. When setting the tension, rather than feel, I believe the FSM said a certain lbs, so I bought a little cheap fish scale and used it.

I also used the cheapo fish scale technique. Set preload on hub bearings with it

Lay down the parts in order as you remove them from the truck. Also, I use magnets to keep the bolts attached to the parts.
IMG-20160308-WA0058.jpeg

A.J

Last edited:
Keep track of shims and I had a large Tupperware storage container filled half with hot water and simple green and a heavy scrub brush it really helped.

You will be fine...take your time,keep things in order. Gloves gloves gloves, paper towels lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom