It's time to draw the line... (1 Viewer)

Where should I cut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wussyPup

just another ex-VI Cruiser
Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
It's time to draw the line...
...and start cutting.

I have a rubbing issue with my 35x12.50R15 BFGs; they rub occasionally on my alloy ECB. I've put up with it so far, but a tree repositioned one side so now I have to deal with it. Pics of the damage will come in a separate thread. These are pics of the good side.

First pic gives perspective, second pic shows 4 choices, labelled A-D, from left to right; help me choose where to cut by voting for whcih line you think will look best.

Thanks, -Steve

I think a slightly different angle that follows the curve more like the way an ARB does it
trim.jpg

Good God...just cut the dang thing......

I am starting a poll on how many squares to use when I wipe 5, 7, 9 or 11

waddaya alll think?

Just kidding dude, but damn, just go in the middle of all those lines and fix it......

Your "D" line looks like it will keep the same contour of the tire.

Dude you have to start at C cause you can always take more off....go C...or C1/2.:skull:

use a string and tie it to a magic-marker, point the marker at the top of your bumper, where it meets the fender and hold the other end of the string at the center of your hub, draw tight, and draw line down. this will give you the perfect arc to cut out....

V.....

follow the curve.

start with less and then finetune... easy to take off, hard to put back...

use a string and tie it to a magic-marker, point the marker at the top of your bumper, where it meets the fender and hold the other end of the string at the center of your hub, draw tight, and draw line down. this will give you the perfect arc to cut out....

V.....

X2.........

The correct answer is rip the girly alloy one and stick on a manly steel bar. ARB ones are already cut to suit. TIC
ARB Steel Bar.jpg

The correct answer is rip the girly alloy one and stick on a manly steel bar. ARB ones are already cut to suit. TIC

Yeah, an ARB would be nice. But until then...

Haven't tried it with the 35x12.50R15 BFG MTs yet, but the new 255/85R16 Toyo M55s fit fine. I was very surprised by how light that alloy bar is; no problem removing and re-installing on my own.

Where to CUT

IMHO and speaking from experience!!! Cut the wings off forward of where the overlap the fibreglass flares.

If you drop the front into a hole and bend the end of the bar it will wipe the flare off nicely adding to the repair bill.
I have done it twice with my bar. Once on each side. Luckily I can unbolt he wings off the bar and throw them away.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom