AltFuel It's summertime can i put veggie oil (30%) in my tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wondering if anyone has had experience running filter WVO through their main tank....? i have a plantdrive system in my truck and do long trips but i'd prefer to be buying less diesel than more and have heard with hot summer temps you can put 35% in your main diesel fuel tank. wondering if anyone has had experience with this? thanks!

I know it would be no problem with new veggie oil. I can't see why it would be a problem with waste veggie oil if it is well cleaned. One of our club members said he ran out of fuel while working in the bush and only had hydraulic fluid. He dumped that in his tank and claims it burned fine at 100%. AFAIK, most non-toxic hydraulic fluid is just refined veggie oil.

i guess my concern is not so much with it running through the engine because i run WVO in heaps, but more will it start....if mixed with diesel...

i guess my concern is not so much with it running through the engine because i run WVO in heaps, but more will it start....if mixed with diesel...

Yes, just mix it well. You can do this inside or outside the tank. If you do it outside the tank, then I'd add your WVO just before you fill. That way, the incoming diesel will mix into the WVO.

k thanks for the advice. if it ever gets warm enough round here i'll do it....lol. 3:7 ratio would be safe enough? thanks!!!

I've run as high as 60 percent veggie and 40 percent diesel in a mix for a number of days at no better than 15 C. It's mixed well and I have had no difference in starting behavior. I'm at least 30 percent most times in this weather.

I've run as high as 60 percent veggie and 40 percent diesel in a mix for a number of days at no better than 15 C. It's mixed well and I have had no difference in starting behavior. I'm at least 30 percent most times in this weather.

You haven't burnt through your industrial supply yet?

Hi there,
I've run 50% in my diesel tank for years and have 100% svo in a 2nd tank. starting can take some glow plug action but recently I've found it'll start on 100% svo if you plug in your block heater overnight. I don't recommend cold starts on 100%svo as there will be some unburnt fuel deposits. I routinely cold start on 50/50 and use my block heater to pre-heat. My block heater makes the block temp rise up to 55C which is a bonus. No glow plugs are needed at all at this temp for cold starts. Anytime you can pre-heat the block it's easier on all starting as the oil gets to the bearings faster than it does stone cold and of course the fule is warmer as well. I plug in if it's going to be sitting even in the summer as considerable wear happens at start-up winter or summer.
FWIW
aaron

wow that's phenomenal. thanks so much for the advice. I put in 25 litres diesel to 15 litres veg last night, alternating 5 litres at a time and threw in some fuel conditioner for good measure....although it sounds like i don't really need it! anyways thanks a lot!!! super helpful advice....i'm so sick of pay 1.33 a litre for diesel!!!

fuel filter

I should mention a couple things:

1_) cold starts on svo will eventually clog your FF. I have a couple different experiences doing this in a fuel pinch but your FF will only last somewhere around 3 mos. or less.
2-) don't use waste motor oil as it's just too dirty.

I stopped using svo. I was wondering if it had something to do with my injectors getting worn out but now I think, do injectors get worn out about the 350,000 km range?

Second, I can mig weld a steel tank if I wanted to. Where should I put it? Secondly, I would rather circulate the oil to keep it hot..instead of static heating it as it passes to the IP. What do you guys think?

Do you have a line in line setup to keep the oil hot, while the outer line its inside has antifreeze passing in the opposite direction? I have construction PEX line running from the second heater core, to the inlet of the tank, then doing a u-turn back to the second heater core. Both pex and wvo line wrapped in reflective insulation. Its crude, but wonder if there is a better way to do this. Lastly, I do not have a temp gauge to measure how hot the oil is.

WVO

Go here for ALL your WVO questions...great web site with tons of information. Most folks on this forum are not fuel blending fans. I see pros and cons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom