Builds “It’s only an axle swap and a motor swap” aka AK2AL aka Dream Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drove to Vermont, loaded a shell and frame with a bunch of boxes on the trailer. Driving home I looked at my wife, looking at me and thought WTF did I just do! She's still looking at me with the same expression on her face. 🤷‍♂️ I went threw that thought of total panic every couple of months until it was closer to done and then sat down with a beer thinking, Yeah nice!

Well, good day. Lots of work, no good pics, but a great day of staying busy in the garage and not being stressed about life.

-interior removed
-2 layers of insulation installed. Not stickied down, just placed down and squished in
-x2 12v plugs wired
-radio rewired
-seats repositioned, bolted in, and all power working
-hand throttle installed
-switch mount, mounted
-8!! Wires run to rear elocker installed
-rear lights installed and working
-…….RTT bolted down….

These melty connectors are sweet.

yes yes I know, this doesn’t seem important compared to the housing thing, but it needed to be done and I have a helper coming tomorrow.

She is getting tidied up for sure. Good times.

0A45DD4C-F7FF-4799-8E6E-4DFCCC1A476E.jpeg

0AAAB906-5E24-4D14-8C0C-FEEAC41B7A04.jpeg

FB1D7C91-094E-48DE-860C-9CCB0FB16FA3.jpeg

C9FAFC08-CA65-4710-8234-60CCFC173DB7.jpeg

FF77CAE9-4322-4586-83CA-37F4D0657EFC.jpeg

Last edited:
I -may- or -may not- have picked up the hot heat gun by the tip, burned my fingers, scream like a little girl at the top of my lungs, and then drank 3 beers until my hand cooled off…

… we may never know….

I also can’t find my Slee elocker computer/switch things. If you know where i put them before the move, please let me know.

9A6D1E82-E022-4D42-B267-8DAF23185E31.png

I -may- or -may not- have picked up the hot heat gun by the tip, burned my fingers, scream like a little girl at the top of my lungs, and then drank 3 beers until my hand cooled off…

… we may never know….

I also can’t find my Slee elocker computer/switch things. If you know where i put them before the move, please let me know.

View attachment 2773623

I have one I'm not using. Just let me know.

Buy another e-locker circuit board and put it where you'll remember, you'll find the other one there. Works every time. A three beer burn is not too serious, but you will have to restock the first aid box. 👍

A Three Beer Burn is
1) a great band name
2) what’s going to happen to me when Uncle Mack finally sees this rig in person and scalds me for my craftsmanship for the length of time it takes to drink 3 beers

I have one I'm not using. Just let me know.

Thank you sir!! I -believe- they are at the shop? I’m missing a whole moving box of ‘73 parts. There is still stuff being stored in my enclosed trailer.

In a few weeks, me and a buddy of mine are taking the 55 to CO! The Tundra was fun, but we didn’t get to do all that I wanted.

We leave in 16 days and I’m working all this weekend…..

DONE:
-order parts
-oil change (5k miles!!)
-fix AC (burrrr)
-wire off road lights
-hook up electric seats
-measure for new rear DS

here is the to-do list:
-new headlights
-swap PS fluid resivoir
-heat pad on floor
-redo seat brackets
-housing swap/straighten
-hand throttle install
-Scan gage mount
-window channel rubber (driver)
-window gaskets (all)
-rear tire swing out (modify)
-double cardon rear shaft
-check all fluids

-pack tools
-RTT mount??

if time:
-window tint (shop)
-rear spring swap
-window washer sprayer
-wire lockers
-axle rebuild
-sliders
-skid plate for tank
-wire 02 resistor

Most of this stuff doesn’t “have” to be done now, but will make it better for the 3,500+ mile trip

View attachment 2762280

View attachment 2762281

View attachment 2762283

View attachment 2762288

View attachment 2762289
Right on man!
Looks like you are coming in from the S, but if you find yourself up near Ft Collins, let me know!

Some work done. Tent is 100% on, all little do dads attached, found my Slee locker controls! after two trips to the shop and turning it upside down, picked up new headlights, and swing out bumper test fit. It’s going to need some love to make it work and it’s not critical for this trip.

THE HOUSING… is still bent :( we gave it the ole college try, but we ended up just scratching ours heads, stretching chains, and bending a cheap ram. My buddy did have the great idea that even if there isn’t a hub on that side, with the locker we can still have the front pulling and both rears. That will get us through CO I bet. The hub will go on, but it won’t unlock without taking it apart. Next project will be swapping the whole thing out :(

priority list
-adjust hand throttle
-swap PS resivoir
-wire lockers
-new headlights
-window channel rubber
-window gaskets
-rear tire swing out
-window washer sprayer
-pack

-new DS? Not ready yet

I sold my 45 and have to have it loaded up on the trailer Friday to be delivered while we’re gone.

…rolling west in 68 hours :) :) :)

D8214DFA-DD4E-46B3-89CD-EFA2AEE4392E.jpeg

FAC25AF3-EB41-4854-AADF-949DB9FA2340.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that! What gives? Covid???

It’s my co-pilots “fault”

I said no in the end, but it’s his work schedule putting us in a bind.

We were supposed to leave Thursday and get back Saturday. Then pushed it to Friday back Saturday night.

Now it’s Friday afternoon to Thursday night. No go for me. That’s four, 13 hour hard days on the interstate to ride in CO dirt for three days.

Going to watch the Wx and maybe come this week

6E12C983-423E-496B-9C00-AE6284A552A7.jpeg

11278EED-F621-4B3F-98C2-BD0FE9A2949A.jpeg

7595D0AF-E489-481F-B6E6-2E21A5CDAF3A.jpeg

Sound deadening definitely works. Less hollow tin can sound. Less heat on feet and center console too. My exhaust is a little loud and that’s what you hear outside the truck. Going to put it behind the doors and pack panels too. Should do even better and keep the AC in.

Don’t really notice the RTT up to 75mph. The two windows that need new rubber make more noise than it does.

The little Offroad lights are nice and bright. Very white light flood pattern. First pic is them, second is just factory brights on. You can see the yellow headlights inside of the white circle in the first pic. This is at 75mph.

@nvrlose54 recommended this light kit from Toyota. Comes with 2 whole new headlights and a new harness/relays/fuses that plug right in to the old harness but draw more juice. For $50, I’ll give it a shot.

AF358FB0-059C-4431-831F-91139E4C6A41.jpeg

19FAADDA-6A33-4AD2-98AA-6ED603C3CB66.jpeg

762801AE-21B1-4D8B-A095-BB64BFE905AF.jpeg

SW CO is definitely worth the trip. Most beautiful part of CO in my opinion. Hit the Bar D chuckwagon in Durango.

CO is amazing 110%. Hope we can go in a few weeks. Want to retire there.

my last trip was 8 days. The only thing I would have changed was haveing 1-2 just chill days. Sit at camp, stare at the fire, sit by the creek and catch fish. Some zero mile days. This would be 6.5 days and 4 of them hard interstate. One drive all night, night. The opposite of what I wanted more of last time.

Already working on then end of the month plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom