Builds “It’s only an axle swap and a motor swap” aka AK2AL aka Dream Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome build thread!

Dumb question - I see you're running an FZJ80 rear axle. I thought the rear FZJ80 axle has the diff offset towards the passenger's side?
rear-axle.jpg

But you're also running dual RF1A gear-driven transfer cases, which have the output flange centered down the middle driveline/chassis.
65-F790-D5-18-A5-4-DB8-AF2-E-0-CA514122-F7-F.jpg

Are you just running your rear driveshaft at an angle toward the passenger's side? Does this cause any driveline vibration/issues?

Awesome build thread!

Dumb question - I see you're running an FZJ80 rear axle. I thought the rear FZJ80 axle has the diff offset towards the passenger's side?
rear-axle.jpg

But you're also running dual RF1A gear-driven transfer cases, which have the output flange centered down the middle driveline/chassis.
65-F790-D5-18-A5-4-DB8-AF2-E-0-CA514122-F7-F.jpg

Are you just running your rear driveshaft at an angle toward the passenger's side? Does this cause any driveline vibration/issues?

No issues, and my DS is relatively short due to the dual cases.

Yes, it’s offset, but only by a few inches. Similar angle compared “sideways” to the angle down off of the case to the diff. Does that makes sense?

No issues, and my DS is relatively short due to the dual cases.

Yes, it’s offset, but only by a few inches. Similar angle compared “sideways” to the angle down off of the case to the diff. Does that makes sense?
Yessir, that makes sense. Thanks!

Been absolutely slammed at work since the new year

@nvrlose54 is hooking me up! Threw some parts on a 470 I bought and now cleaning up wiring and ignition issue. BLESS HIM

first time in a long long time I’ve dropped a rig off at someone else’s shop and paid to have it worked on. I’ve been driving it around town some, but ready for some more road trips!

1E734A32-416E-4D57-948C-35DA2005A0C7.jpeg

9041091C-11AA-4C28-9EDB-E0D492FC2517.jpeg

Cream puff ‘04, 144k, all service records, bought for a good deal with broken AHC.

May keep, may sell. It will be super OVERLAND soon :)

the idea was a more family friendly rig to drive out West in. I like my Tundra better though. I don’t know. My trucks come and go.

1DDC3D5F-DAD7-49BA-9C25-BF8FD6B8CD9F.jpeg

06E44676-42DD-4725-9B4D-1906515AD6DE.jpeg

What are you guys doing???

Something is wrong with my ignition and it’s hot wired right now. Justin is also an old school muscle car guy and patient with wiring and under hood stuff. He’s going to make right some stuff I did hastily to make a ride.

I am essentially in two units at work right now, and working wayyyyy to much. I don’t have time to mess with it, so a professional is helping me out.

In honor of Dr. J finding the short behind the dash and fixing my blown fuse/hot wire issue, I cooked two lbs of sausage for supper :)

I’m super bummed to be so busy at work and super bummed to have to take my truck to a shop. It’s just not my style.

I looked back at some pics and it only took 6 months on the dot from when the wrecked FJ80 was pushed into the shop to when this rig was a running and driving Franken55 made out of 7+ other trucks. No it wasn’t perfect, it may never be, but the only real issue I’ve had over ~3,500 miles is one bad wire that I hooked up and one bad wire hooked up almost 50 years ago. I guess that’s not too bad.

Really excited for some things to calm down at work and be able to enjoy the freshened up Flying Pig very soon.

6FB88885-4F22-403A-8BDB-6790BB98340F.jpeg

63BEF2D5-7418-4FA9-A9FF-CFBF1DA6FED6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom