Builds “It’s only an axle swap and a motor swap” aka AK2AL aka Dream Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are not the Slee arms I have.....

I bought Ben’s, who works at Slee, old style so he could put the new style on his 80. They correct about 3-4* of castor.

racebuggy clutch pedal since mine was MIA

6A52C188-A914-4C8B-A85D-5F3C9FCD216A.jpeg

613F8650-3D29-4A56-A9D0-4276675CA347.jpeg

BF408F34-BAB4-484A-9641-D73B0584C55C.jpeg

This is my overly detailed list to keep me on track in the shop all week. Have a real mechanic helper coming Wednesday and hopefully one sat/sun to get this bacon cranked!! Want it to drive onto trailer to take to exhaust shop Monday afternoon.

breaking this list down makes it more manageable and see what tools/parts I’m missing.

Daily updates almost all this week.

🥓🥓AK2AL Build TO DO LIST 🥓🥓

-pickup bolts from Toyota
-Northport auto
—lines
—coolant
--pedal Hydraulic fitting

—-order—
-skid plastic (McM)
-trans tunnel metal (Cain)
-order rear coil spacers (slee)

—pickup—
-fuel lines Orileys
-brake lines
-fuel tank filler hose
-intake parts/MAF bracket

—do—
-install electric fan
-install clutch pedal
-bleed clutch/fitting
-triple stick install
-PS reservoir mounting
-wiring install
-evap canister mount
-swap to 80 booster?
-drive shafts (getting back Wednesday)
-DS in
-run brake lines
-run fuel lines
-bleed brakes
-fill trans, Tcase, diffs
-locking hubs on
-gas in tank
-rear shocks
-rear coil spacers
-new headlights?
-New TRE(s)
-Tie Rod and Dragline (slee)
-trans tunnel metal
-buy battery (Location?)
-exhaust shop
-O2 sensors?

—later
-paint interior with sound deading
-axle rebuild
-build bumpers
-winch Install 8274?
-AC
-radio/speakers

DONE
-slot tank brackets
-bolts for tank
-tank in (nylon washers Anders)
-Slee radius arms Install
-clearance steering shaft
-front shocks Install
-radiator in
-new rad hoses in
-measure for PS lines
-grill/hood/hood latch

5CBCC73A-EB48-40B1-9FC1-AF5FCAD8102D.jpeg

872DFD85-12BA-4A2C-B836-22EADF419972.jpeg

066D8186-A03E-416F-A8A2-7051A7FD0D31.jpeg

6CA19F9F-4985-48EC-819D-B8A3D0DB9A49.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t decide if I like swing out rear tires carriers or not.

It takes away from the lines of this particular majestic beast, but as a whole, they free up room inside and do look kind of cool and a place to bolt high lift too :hmm: :hmm: Nolan has a bolt on swing out that is reasonably priced and will attach to most any bumper without a huge fuss.

either way, there will be some sort of basic wrap-around 1/4 protection

Edit: I think this is what Nolan has

When a DIY kit with no metal is $150, a whole swing out for $495 doesn’t seem too bad to me.

Last edited:

It takes away from the lines of this particular majestic beast, but as a whole, they free up room inside and do look kind of cool and a place to bolt high lift too :hmm: :hmm: Nolan has a bolt on swing out that is reasonably priced and will attach to most any bumper without a huge fuss.

either way, there will be some sort of basic wrap-around 1/4 protection

I've always thought of building a rear bar with swingouts where you can remove the swing out for the spare and fix it inside the rear when you don't need the space. no idea on the finer details but its always been a thought..

I'd also planned for some rear 1/4 protection similar to whats been done here: Project "Iron Moose" - 1979 FJ55 - Red Line Land Cruisers

Are you running 35's here?
872dfd85-12ba-4a2c-b836-22eadf419972-jpeg.2422662

Would you mind taking some measurements for me when you can next? bottom of chassis to ground (under the front door), bottom of sill to ground and distance from top of rear tyre to wheel well lip? Mine sits way high and i think its because of the 2" springs so any measurements you can share would be appreciated as a comparison..

Are you running 35's here?
872dfd85-12ba-4a2c-b836-22eadf419972-jpeg.2422662

Would you mind taking some measurements for me when you can next? bottom of chassis to ground (under the front door), bottom of sill to ground and distance from top of rear tyre to wheel well lip? Mine sits way high and i think its because of the 2" springs so any measurements you can share would be appreciated as a comparison..

Yes, 35”s on the blue, 33”s on the red.

I’ll do it today if I can remember! I remember measuring some and it is about 2-3” overall taller than the ‘69 on Alcans and 33”s

Yes, 35”s on the blue, 33”s on the red.

I’ll do it today if I can remember! I remember measuring some and it is about 2-3” overall taller than the ‘69 on Alcans and 33”s
See how you go.. mine seems pretty tall on 34s with 2" lift thats all, hence my curiosity to compare

It takes away from the lines of this particular majestic beast, but as a whole, they free up room inside and do look kind of cool and a place to bolt high lift too :hmm: :hmm:
I love them and find them incredibly handy and utilitarian, especially if you’re using your rig a lot out in the bush. It’s nice to have the extra cargo area available, and also becomes convenient to mount Jerry cans and hi-lift jacks.

Some of the issues you run into is the torsional movement created by the height and weight of the tire and other gear on the swing mount, and having the upright(s) coming in contact with the tailgate. If you have a narrow bumper, it also gets pretty tight when choosing where to locate the spindle and hub assembly.

Last edited:
So is a long range tank like this ride too low in the back? How is it protected?

putting on a UHWM skid plate. It’s like cutting board material.

yes, it’s huge, but the no-bumper makes it look worse than it is. Have to imagine it

E5AB6AAD-D703-4D6F-9E9C-07AD1D4B8DB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom