IT'S NOT A TRUCK, IT'S A DRUG! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I want to thank everyone for their amazing help on this new path. Even the jerks that call me out when I ask a stupid question (and I say that with all respect and admiration). Thanks for letting an old Jeep XJ guy fumble is way through this... well there is only one way to say it. Addiction.

This forum has officially replaced my morning online news feed. I have the shop manual and original owners manual beside my bed. And yes, I make excuses to go sit in it. I will spend too much on it, for a truck of it's age and milage. So, by definition. It's an addictive substance, at least.

I've spent my life working in and around the entertainment and broadcast television businesses, toured with the Grateful Dead in college, lived on tour buses with bands and traveled to places where drugs where, well let's just say drugs were readily available... and never became an addicted to anything. Until now. Well played Toyota.

That being said, I've devoured information on the truck like every young addict. The history, the over engineering and commitment to utilitarianism and explained in detail my reasoning for getting the LX 470 in my first post in the forum. Having seen probably every private seller listing from coast to coast over the span of a couple months (Jan 21 to Present) and having now made my purchase I've realized a couple of things about the current "explosive" market for good used LX 470's.

My first introduction or awareness I might say of the LC was through a high school friend who drove an early 1970's FJ 40 in the mid-80's. Fast forward to 1998 and my best friend was given his dad's loaded 1996 80 series for his college graduation. It had ever bell and every whistle.... and only 63K. He put another 100k on it and sold it to put a downpayment on his first house. I watch that market go nuts, much like the LX 470 now. I watch the Jeep Wagoneer market go crazy with custom "remanufactured and updated versions" going for 65 to 100k! Now that's insane. The hockey stick is heading up and I think will continue to rise as people realize the vehicles value.

So I've realized a couple of things having purchased my ticket to this crack house at $4100. That's a 1998 LX 470 with 237K on the clock, pretty good maintenance records and some rust. Some even marginally bad in the wheel wells but, totally solid frame and tubs. I suspect I'll be dealing with a lot of corroded brackets and hangers, etc.. But, overall - I'll Take it! That's why God Made Wire brushes and Navy Jelly. Yes I'll have some patches here and there but, my point is there are still gems in the market because people want the best when they are paying over inflated values. I get it. If If I had an extra 10K laying around I would have bought a rust free, pristine example. But, I didn't. I had $4300 so I came in $200 under budget! I've yet to see anything close offered within 500 miles. I routinely see models with as many or more miles in roughly the same condition for much more. I've even seen talk of salvage titled LX's going for over 10k.

What's the point? Find a barn and start buying! Seriously, these prices are out pacing the stock market. I've already had offers on mine for much more than I paid. I'd consider any reasonable business plan that involved buying LX's and storing them. I regret not doing it with the many XJ's and Wagoneer's I passed on back in the day. Rust buckets every one I ever saw... But today those, same trucks I passed on, someone bought ten years after I passed it with more rust and paid 3x as much. Some of them sold them for A LOT of money. And news flash the Wagoneer isn't half the truck the 100 series is / was (Forgive Me JEEP GODS). Although I'll end every Jeep bash with the asterisks, I was a storm chaser for years covering A LOT of destruction and the XJ with the strait Six 4.0 was one of the most bullet proof machine I every drove - and I drove / killed a few.

So any takers? Anyone with a barn in the desert? It may be too late - but I'd sure like to lock down a supply ;)!

Last edited:
I picked mine up through auction for $3300 (clean title, didn't run but just needed a 30A fuse) a couple months ago and there were some salvage titled 100 series with wnning bids around the $3000 mark. Not sure if they were pristine interiors or something like that, but some pretty torn up at the $2200-2500 range. After Copart fees you're looking at $3000 and up. Crazy!

I guess it's only a bubble if it pops... lol

Welcome. We are all afflicted with your....condition. I bought my slightly rusty and kind of high mileage 100 to supplement my Jeep TJ. I've put 100k miles on the 100 in 5 years and only about 5k miles on the Jeep. It is clear which one I like driving more.

Recently I had a friend inquire about a good, reliable and cheap 4wd. Being a Jeep nut prior to my Land Cruiser addiction, I promptly thought XJ. 10 years ago you could buy a sub 150k miles XJ that needs a little work but was otherwise straight as an arrow for $2,500. To my surprise, that same Jeep is selling for $10k or more today o_O

At ~$20k spent in the last 12 months above and beyond purchase price I think I would have been better off picking up a mild drug habit. :p

If gone about it the right way, I probably could have transported myself into the mountains and through rushing rivers without leaving my couch. ;)

Epic post! It's hard to explain to people without our "problem", but the experience of owning a hundy is a lot more than just owning an automobile. Whether the habit is considered expensive or priceless is all a matter of perspective.

Drugs are an appropriate analogy

1. You must be on them to stomach the maintenance costs compared to other Mr. T platforms
2. You need some when you identify your starter contacts are starting to fail at the onset of winter where it is cold and your garage isn't heated
3. You contemplate selling them for the easy cash to actually pay for your overlanding rig dream build

If gone about it the right way, I probably could have transported myself into the mountains and through rushing rivers without leaving my couch.
Hey, what part number did you use for this? 😂
Drugs are an appropriate analogy

1. You must be on them to stomach the maintenance costs compared to other Mr. T platforms
2. You need some when you identify your starter contacts are starting to fail at the onset of winter where it is cold and your garage isn't heated
3. You contemplate selling them for the easy cash to actually pay for your overlanding rig dream build
And I consider my body a perfectly viable vehicle by which to pay for those parts.

Sure as s***... drugs.

Welcome. We are all afflicted with your....condition. I bought my slightly rusty and kind of high mileage 100 to supplement my Jeep TJ. I've put 100k miles on the 100 in 5 years and only about 5k miles on the Jeep. It is clear which one I like driving more.

Recently I had a friend inquire about a good, reliable and cheap 4wd. Being a Jeep nut prior to my Land Cruiser addiction, I promptly thought XJ. 10 years ago you could buy a sub 150k miles XJ that needs a little work but was otherwise straight as an arrow for $2,500. To my surprise, that same Jeep is selling for $10k or more today o_O

I was an XJ Man from way back. Fine vehicle (maybe one of the finest). I'd still like to find one for my recent driver in the family... but your right, those too are getting out of sight. But, having said that... they really are two different trucks.

Thank the Jesus Lord that I started with much MUCH heavier drugs and now feel like in rehab. For the record I own not one but TWO V12 BMWs 750iL and if you think maintaining a 100-series is expensive just ask and I will lend anyone the BMW for six months so you maintain it :rofl:. After that you will think the 100 is the cheapest drug on earth. And do not get me started on maintaining a Lamborghini...

CR

I can relate.

My back hurt for a full day from being crouched under the fender well replacing a part that wasn't even broke just because I wanted it to be "fresh"

I know my neighbors must think my LX is broke down all the time but literally 90% of the time I'm just piddling with s*** on it....lubricating drive shafts, checking spark plug tightness, sensor lift, checking AHC pressures, flushing power steering fluid, etc.

I can't stop and I don't know why. I've never been like this with a vehicle before.

I can relate.

My back hurt for a full day from being crouched under the fender well replacing a part that wasn't even broke just because I wanted it to be "fresh"

I know my neighbors must think my LX is broke down all the time but literally 90% of the time I'm just piddling with s*** on it....lubricating drive shafts, checking spark plug tightness, sensor lift, checking AHC pressures, flushing power steering fluid, etc.

I can't stop and I don't know why. I've never been like this with a vehicle before.
I completely understand - I spent the weekend verifying any rust. I removed all the body molding, rocker panel covers and was pleasantly surprised!! I think the neighbors heard me singing when I found mostly good metal under the rockers! “Why is this man taking his “new vehicle” apart one piece at a time and who is he talking to Martha?”

First, I want to thank everyone for their amazing help on this new path. Even the jerks that call me out when I ask a stupid question (and I say that with all respect and admiration). Thanks for letting an old Jeep XJ guy fumble is way through this... well there is only one way to say it. Addiction.

This forum has officially replaced my morning online news feed. I have the shop manual and original owners manual beside my bed. And yes, I make excuses to go sit in it. I will spend too much on it, for a truck of it's age and milage. So, by definition. It's an addictive substance, at least.

I've spent my life working in and around the entertainment and broadcast television businesses, toured with the Grateful Dead in college, lived on tour buses with bands and traveled to places where drugs where, well let's just say drugs were readily available... and never became an addicted to anything. Until now. Well played Toyota.

That being said, I've devoured information on the truck like every young addict. The history, the over engineering and commitment to utilitarianism and explained in detail my reasoning for getting the LX 470 in my first post in the forum. Having seen probably every private seller listing from coast to coast over the span of a couple months (Jan 21 to Present) and having now made my purchase I've realized a couple of things about the current "explosive" market for good used LX 470's.

My first introduction or awareness I might say of the LC was through a high school friend who drove an early 1970's FJ 40 in the mid-80's. Fast forward to 1998 and my best friend was given his dad's loaded 1996 80 series for his college graduation. It had ever bell and every whistle.... and only 63K. He put another 100k on it and sold it to put a downpayment on his first house. I watch that market go nuts, much like the LX 470 now. I watch the Jeep Wagoneer market go crazy with custom "remanufactured and updated versions" going for 65 to 100k! Now that's insane. The hockey stick is heading up and I think will continue to rise as people realize the vehicles value.

So I've realized a couple of things having purchased my ticket to this crack house at $4100. That's a 1998 LX 470 with 237K on the clock, pretty good maintenance records and some rust. Some even marginally bad in the wheel wells but, totally solid frame and tubs. I suspect I'll be dealing with a lot of corroded brackets and hangers, etc.. But, overall - I'll Take it! That's why God Made Wire brushes and Navy Jelly. Yes I'll have some patches here and there but, my point is there are still gems in the market because people want the best when they are paying over inflated values. I get it. If If I had an extra 10K laying around I would have bought a rust free, pristine example. But, I didn't. I had $4300 so I came in $200 under budget! I've yet to see anything close offered within 500 miles. I routinely see models with as many or more miles in roughly the same condition for much more. I've even seen talk of salvage titled LX's going for over 10k.

What's the point? Find a barn and start buying! Seriously, these prices are out pacing the stock market. I've already had offers on mine for much more than I paid. I'd consider any reasonable business plan that involved buying LX's and storing them. I regret not doing it with the many XJ's and Wagoneer's I passed on back in the day. Rust buckets every one I ever saw... But today those, same trucks I passed on, someone bought ten years after I passed it with more rust and paid 3x as much. Some of them sold them for A LOT of money. And news flash the Wagoneer isn't half the truck the 100 series is / was (Forgive Me JEEP GODS). Although I'll end every Jeep bash with the asterisks, I was a storm chaser for years covering A LOT of destruction and the XJ with the strait Six 4.0 was one of the most bullet proof machine I every drove - and I drove / killed a few.

So any takers? Anyone with a barn in the desert? It may be too late - but I'd sure like to lock down a supply ;)!
I knew a guy once - one of the smartest, funniest, most likable man you could ever meet. One of those guys you wanted to hang out with because he made you laugh, he got all the girls so you were bound to catch some of his rejects... you know, that guy. Well he had one problem. HE LOVED COCAINE! I mean he really loved cocaine. He would disappear for days at a time. Tell no one where he was and sit alone and do cocaine! I never understood him. Until now.

So since my last post I've gone on a bit of a bender myself. I took a deep dive into the truck and really started to see what was there. If you buy a rusty truck there is no avoiding it... you have to jump in and start tackling the rust. Period. So that's exactly what I did. I started working my way from one end to the other. Touching ever surface, poking, and prodding for any cancer and then cutting, grinding or sanding... whatever it takes to see bare meddle again.

First things first - REMOVE ALL BODY PANELS - These are great for hiding rust. They must come off to see what really lies beneath.

IMG-0682.jpg

Second - Inspect every inch. Touch everything from the frame up. Exploring every nook and cranny reveals how evasive rust can be. But, you have to know the truth. I think the previous owner (a young man of 20) never really did his home work. If he had, he would see what I have seen and wouldn't not have been as eager to sell. Though I can never know his true motivation. The lesson - LOOK REALLY CLOSE, then determine what can be dealt with and what is GAME OVER level rust.

IMG_0578.jpg

This area was by far the worst, but is cleaning up nicely. The spare tire is apparently a huge "salt trap."

IMG_0583.jpg

So here is the worst of the worst (I almost didn't share this for fear of the comments). But, here it is before.

IMG-0681.jpg

And post surgery - It actually looks even better now as I've been forming and fiberglassing. More pictures later. The lesson here is - Sometimes you just gotta "cut." Rust is the enemy! I was pretty lucky as I'm designing a "side ladder" and will cover most of the repaired area with a carbon film or "Bed Liner." It will actually work out nicely, as if I planned it to keep from scuffing the paint in that area.

Removing the panels and especially the back bumper cap proved rewarding in the rust battle.

IMG_0581.jpg

I removed the metal form on the top of the bumper. It was basically Swiss Cheese. Anything that could hide rust was removed and dealt with. Understanding what you're dealing with is the first step. I'm happy with my purchase and with it's mechanical service history the truck was a bargain. But, I could have easily made a huge mistake. At 4k it was worth a roll of the dice. MORE TO COME.

I knew a guy once - one of the smartest, funniest, most likable man you could ever meet. One of those guys you wanted to hang out with because he made you laugh, he got all the girls so you were bound to catch some of his rejects... you know, that guy. Well he had one problem. HE LOVED COCAINE! I mean he really loved cocaine. He would disappear for days at a time. Tell no one where he was and sit alone and do cocaine! I never understood him. Until now.

So since my last post I've gone on a bit of a bender myself. I took a deep dive into the truck and really started to see what was there. If you buy a rusty truck there is no avoiding it... you have to jump in and start tackling the rust. Period. So that's exactly what I did. I started working my way from one end to the other. Touching ever surface, poking, and prodding for any cancer and then cutting, grinding or sanding... whatever it takes to see bare meddle again.

First things first - REMOVE ALL BODY PANELS - These are great for hiding rust. They must come off to see what really lies beneath.

View attachment 2611482

Second - Inspect every inch. Touch everything from the frame up. Exploring every nook and cranny reveals how evasive rust can be. But, you have to know the truth. I think the previous owner (a young man of 20) never really did his home work. If he had, he would see what I have seen and wouldn't not have been as eager to sell. Though I can never know his true motivation. The lesson - LOOK REALLY CLOSE, then determine what can be dealt with and what is GAME OVER level rust.

View attachment 2611491

This area was by far the worst, but is cleaning up nicely. The spare tire is apparently a huge "salt trap."

View attachment 2611492

So here is the worst of the worst (I almost didn't share this for fear of the comments). But, here it is before.

View attachment 2611495

And post surgery - It actually looks even better now as I've been forming and fiberglassing. More pictures later. The lesson here is - Sometimes you just gotta "cut." Rust is the enemy! I was pretty lucky as I'm designing a "side ladder" and will cover most of the repaired area with a carbon film or "Bed Liner." It will actually work out nicely, as if I planned it to keep from scuffing the paint in that area.

Removing the panels and especially the back bumper cap proved rewarding in the rust battle.

View attachment 2611501

I removed the metal form on the top of the bumper. It was basically Swiss Cheese. Anything that could hide rust was removed and dealt with. Understanding what you're dealing with is the first step. I'm happy with my purchase and with it's mechanical service history the truck was a bargain. But, I could have easily made a huge mistake. At 4k it was worth a roll of the dice.

Next - to the undercarriage.

IMG_0614.jpg

This is where things could have gone terrible south and where I got incredibly lucky. The rails themselves were ok. I found only one area was slightly concerting, regarding integrity but a bit of welding will put my mind at ease and that would be overkill.

More pictures of the undercarriage when complete. I wanted to remind folks that this build is for "practical use and towing" not a restoration or even close. My goal is to make things a good as I can on a practical budget. For example. My Bondo work won't be perfect in areas that will eventually be covered by a body panel, I just want the rust gone and a good coat of paint to protect it from daily use.

Jump Seats Removed and back deck hardware sanded, treated and painted.

IMG-0651.jpg

IMG-0642.jpg

Interior Rockers / Door area sanded, treated and painted.

IMG-0658.jpg

:oops: This looks like a perfect time to call the POR-15 folks and talk about an info commercial joint venture @Todd Atchison.

Great work @Todd Atchison . Is that a brand new rear bumper internal support? My rocker panels don’t look that bad- the flaking rotting out part is still toward the underside of the the vehicle but I just don’t feel like putting enough money/elbow grease in it to restore. I bought mine From the northeast and it really hasn’t gotten any worse since I Brought it to California. Probably just buy a local/southern one when i have to....which I hope isn’t for another 5 years or more given that I drive the truck like 20 miles a week.

Great work @Todd Atchison . Is that a brand new rear bumper internal support? My rocker panels don’t look that bad- the flaking rotting out part is still toward the underside of the the vehicle but I just don’t feel like putting enough money/elbow grease in it to restore. I bought mine From the northeast and it really hasn’t gotten any worse since I Brought it to California. Probably just buy a local/southern one when i have to....which I hope isn’t for another 5 years or more given that I drive the truck like 20 miles a week.
No I ground, painted and treated the internal bumper support. It turned out pretty well. The trick is getting inside the bumper support with a drill and wire brush attachment. I got about 90% and treated what I couldn't reach and painted with converting paint. You can only do what you can do. I hear you on the "rust free" next purchase, but in the meantime I'm saving thousands with some elbow grease and really getting to do what I want. Once you have the liberation of "cutting" a body, your mind can start to see the possibilities.

In other words... I'm free to do to this one things I would never dream of doing to a rust free version.

Last edited:
You sons a bitches.... I'm in deep now. I haven't slept a full night in weeks. I'm on a serious run! Finished "bed lining" the body panels this weekend....
IMG-0717.jpg

IMG-0736.jpg

IMG-0734.jpg

Matched the grill to the rest of the trim.

IMG-0733.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom