It's kinda flattering, but.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the last couple of months I have had two different people approach me regarding my FJ60. One asked if I was "still trying to sell it" and the other just flast out asked if it was for sale.

Nothing on the rig has a "for sale" indicator on it. Makes me worry about leaving it parked anywhere anymore. I suppose its nice that people admire it (especially as its not full restro new its just in decent shape) but getting the vibe its more the "dude, lets get and flip that bitch" kinda people more than actual "dude, I will get that and keep it forever" crowd.

Anybody else been getting unwanted attention on their older non-pristine rigs?

Cheers,

Glenn In Marana

In the last couple of months I have had two different people approach me regarding my FJ60. One asked if I was "still trying to sell it" and the other just flast out asked if it was for sale.

Nothing on the rig has a "for sale" indicator on it. Makes me worry about leaving it parked anywhere anymore. I suppose its nice that people admire it (especially as its not full restro new its just in decent shape) but getting the vibe its more the "dude, lets get and flip that bitch" kinda people more than actual "dude, I will get that and keep it forever" crowd.

Anybody else been getting unwanted attention on their older non-pristine rigs?

Cheers,

Glenn In Marana
Yeah, I get that from time to time as well. But I think most people I run into just want to hear the story or history or tell me experiences they had in an LC from back in the day. When you think about it, the LC community is broader than just current owners. Very flattering indeed. Just keep driving it amigo.

I've had several notes left on the windshield. Also makes me a bit nervous too. And to think I used to leave the 4Runner outside during the day and night. No more.

Until you have people crawling under it and have the hood open when you walk out of the grocery store you have nothing to worry about. Be flattered that they like your rig and tell them what you have planned as far as adventures and the interest is either genuine or make a note of their vehicle.

Happened to me many times and still does.

I had a couple of dudes with the hood open on my 1st FJ40 the one with the 350 and fenderwell headers. Came out of the house and at first it was WTF?! but they just wanted to look. Still, though, I wouldn't do that to another person's car.

Amazing how many of the older crowd (which I admit, belong to), say "I used to one one of those back in the '70's"

Then there are those really odd ones who used to own one back in the "70s" and still own that same 40. You might almost say they are "Living in the Past".

Rarely have anyone comment on my cruisers but then again rarely anyone sees them parked anywhere.

I moved to Portland recently. There are a total of 4 80s in my immediate hood (within 5 min walk) and a 60. They are all over the place up here and I’ve seen some strange models parked right downtown. (See the photo of a 3.0 Turbo SX I saw two weeks ago.)
2D4AC3B7-DB88-4A04-81EF-9FCC940C66C6.jpeg
FWIW, I am “stalking” a white, locked 80 series three blocks over. LOL...I’m about to begin leaving notes. No ill intent. Just a guy who loves LCs and is always shopping and / or admiring and wanting to connect with other like-minded guys.

If i saw some open my hood with out my permission they are likely to be stabbed in the neck. But if they ask I am more then willing to open it for them.

Yah. Pretty sure thats one of the advantages of a 60. Interior hood release cable. :) Had an Austin-Healey a long time ago that had hood locks. Should have been rings.....I used a couple of small padlocks.

Glenn

Yah. Pretty sure thats one of the advantages of a 60. Interior hood release cable. :) Had an Austin-Healey a long time ago that had hood locks. Should have been rings.....I used a couple of small padlocks.

Glenn

Late model 40 series did have a hood lock with a cable release in the cab in other markets. There was a steering column lock back into the mid seventies. If you look at the clam shell cover for the 9/72+ steering column you can see where it would be. Again in other markets.

My "47 Studebaker truck had an interior hood cable. :cool:

When I rewired Uma I installed a hidden kill switch. When I am out and about I turn off the key and flip the switch

Not isolated to older junk, however. People comment on the 100 & 200 as well, probably the 200 much more. However the attention these 2 get doesn't generate nervousness like the older, more sought after iconic rigs would cause for an owner, imo.

Not isolated to older junk, however. People comment on the 100 & 200 as well, probably the 200 much more. However the attention these 2 get doesn't generate nervousness like the older, more sought after iconic rigs would cause for an owner, imo.
we also live in a pretty affluent area with plenty of cruisers running around. I met an older gentleman over in tukee today who has a '99 and a '93... I basically met my future self.

I've also resigned myself to the fact that I drive dude magnets... I get all sorts of guys that say "nice cruiser" and want to chat, but they are often more curious about the history and not looking to buy.

all our cruisers are dude magnets when I go to the gas station or some store parking lot :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom