It’s here! My “new” 468000 mile ‘06 gx470 build and troubleshooting thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In an exciting turn of events, the owner happened to be in town on business, saving me a flight.

it’s a little rough around the edges, some surface rust spots on the hood and a leaking air bag, but for a free car i can’t complain. Gonna get it on the lift this week and start making a list of what she needs, then hopefully finishing the build before July of this year to take up to silver lake dunes. Thanks to everyone for the advice in my previous thread!

Edit: anyone running dobinsons coils with bilstein 5100s? going for a very "budget" build.
7AF45372-8018-4CC0-80EF-94281356059E.jpeg
0B055DBB-49B9-4AF5-898C-000351610631.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s awesome mileage!! My goal is half a million miles on each of our GX’s.

Excellent find. Now you need to go for a million miles.

Love to see a picture of the drivers seat to see how it holds up.
511D1FA9-BD15-450D-936E-68EAA32CE3B1.jpeg
It appears to have held up ok.

Only slightly worse than my 177k mile '08 470. LOL

Last edited:
Got it on the lift today and went through it with my brother in law. Pretty happy with what we found, frame is solid!
Needing replacements:
-Both front cv shafts had torn boots
-Rear shocks are leaking, but who cares those were coming off anyway
-whoever changed the timing belt last etched the mileage in the plastic cover LOL. So it’s got about 100k on the belt so I’ll be doing that and the water pump
-the ebrake cable is broken.
-exhaust pipe behind the muffler is rusted all the way through. This doesn’t matter anymore because it’s no longer attached to the vehicle.
-need to flush differentials and transmission
-tires are junk
-rear bumper cover is cracked up
-front window is pitted
-hood is rusting
-lots of scratches
-rear hatch is rusting
-i forgot how to reverse with out a rear view camera

the good:
Frame is solid!
Center locker works perfect.
shifts into and out of 4L perfectly
Transmission shifts really really smoothly
Interior is in great shape everything works inside
Engine feels very strong. Don’t want to push it until i take care of the timing belt
No signs of leaks anywhere

overall it looks like after i take care of the wear and tear it’ll be solid for another 400k

Picked up clean rims with a bit more tire on them. Old tires were trash and the stock rims are also trashed. $375 for the set which i feel is a good deal
3ED08C41-C2F0-40B2-A86A-F3D31A5F2A56.jpeg

Same style I put on my 460. I painted mine gunmetal to go with my grey. They would look sharp painted black to match your car. I use the ceramic wheel paint. ,comes in a spray can at ORilley. Great wheel paint. I have to get around to posting a picture.

I know all about making a $500 car into a quite expensive car. You scored on the purchase of the car and on the wheels. Take your time. I have a huge list of things I MIGHT do to mine. The planning and anticipation a a good part of the fun .

I’m worried about costs mounting up when i get into the front suspension. There’s a lot

Last edited:
Well it’s almost done (for now)
going in for alignment tomorrow, then timing belt, spark plugs and coil packs and it’ll be “ready” for the summer. Going to have to pick some bigger tires out after i sell my other car.

957FCE49-EB43-4648-88A4-7AB87E2F30B1.jpeg

With regards to the ebrake-there’s a good chance it just needs to be cleaned and WD-40 sprayed inside. I had this issue on my son‘s 2004 with “only” 315,000 miles now. I opened up the leather boot and used a pick to clean out The orange goop in the parking brake gears. Sprayed wd-40 and moved the lever up and down several times. I did this every day for 4 days or so and just about gave up. Next thing I knew it worked!

It‘s apparently a common issue on the Gx470’s. Good luck, and great find! I like them so much I have 2 of them lol.

Last edited:
I was hoping that was the case
With regards to the ebrake-there’s a good chance it just needs to be cleaned and WD-40 sprayed inside. I had this issue in my son‘s 2004 with “only” 315,000 miles now. I opened up the leather boot and used a pick to clean out The orange goop in the parking brake gears. Sprayed wd-40 and moved the lever up and down several times. I did this every day for 4 days or so and just about gave up. Next thing I knew it worked!

It‘s apparently a common issue on the Gx470’s. Good luck, and great find! I like them so much I have 2 of the,
lol.
i wish this was the issue however the cable for it is broken off at the rear bracket

Need to mount a flag on the front for the dunes…. Have any of you done that? Where did y’all mount?

trying to figure out if i should flush my transmission/diffs. i have no idea when (or if) it was done, and im worried if i flush it, it will create more problems from stirring up in sludge/settled particles. thoughts?

Perhaps drain the transmission, then pull the pan and replace the filter and gasket, then flush the system. It's more steps but the sludge typically settles in the lowest areas.
Regarding the diffs, I would have no hesitation draining and filling them with fresh fluid. Stiring up sludge in the diff is much less of a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom