It's Durabak time... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've almost finished the prep work in my 80.

Now I have to wait for it to warm up enough, apply the xylene, let it dry, then start rolling/brushing the durabak. I decided against spraying after reading a few reports online.

I just hope this stuff holds up for a couple years.

Post up some pictures when you get done. I am interested in what it looks like and what you think. Good luck!

Yea, post some pics. Mine is on the way. I'll be durabaking the flares this week. I'm on my way to NAPA (as soon as i can get released from the grasps of the mud board) to get some masking tape.

concretejungle said:
Yea, post some pics. Mine is on the way. I'll be durabaking the flares this week. I'm on my way to NAPA (as soon as i can get released from the grasps of the mud board) to get some masking tape.

FYI: use electrical tape to make nice curves when doing flairs and other curves, then back tape off that with the mask...

-Ammo

I'm just doing the inside floor for now. All of the floor. So far, the first coat is taking a lot longer to dry than I expected, it is a little cool outside. I used a little over 3/4 of a gallon for the first coat. Tomorrow, I'll be putting on the second coat. I plan to put in on pretty thick.

I am kind of disapointed with the color. I ordered Brown since the dash, etc is brown, as was the original carpet. The Durabak is a funky color brown. I hope it darkens more when it's dry. Probably should have gone with black, since my Cruiser is black. Too late now, oh well, as long as it does what it's supposed to.

I'm hoping the Durabak will help drown a little tire noise out, which is why I bought two gallons. Damn blue tooth is useless in the Cruiser.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.

You could always put a coat of black over the brown.

Yes, definitely want some good pics on this one especially as you start to use it--interested in how it wears.

One of my winter projects is this exact operation....though I am unsure as to what material option I am going to go with.

Good luck...
-onur

LukeO said:
I'm hoping the Durabak will help drown a little tire noise out, which is why I bought two gallons. Damn blue tooth is useless in the Cruiser.

I have durabak on the inside of one of my vehicles. Didnt help with sound at all.

Hope your results are different. Good luck.

A good name for this color would be Refried Beans w/Texas Pete Baby Sh%t brown/orange.

Anyway, here's what the first coat looks like this morning.

After I put the second coat on, I might just cruise over to Carquest and pick up a gallon of black.

Maybe three gallons will help with the noise.

Last edited:
I just finished applying the rest of the 2 gallons of brown Durabak.

I bought 1 gallong of black Herculiner this morning at Carquest.

Tomorrow I'll put the black down to cover up the brown.

This project is taking longer than I expected thanks to the ugly brown Durabak. If anything, when I'm finished there's probably going to be about 1/4" of chopped up rubber on the floor.

Question for ya LukeO?

Did you remove the soundproofing under the carpet? or did you leave it in and apply the coating over it?

Just thinking about the other recent thread about duraling the inside and the comments by the poster who had it sprayed on over the old original soundproofing...

I was going to say just put a coat of black over the brown, but you beat me to it. Looks like a great job. Can't wait to see the final pic.

Sam

The hard soundproofing that is glued to the floor I left and durabaked over it.

I sanded off all of the remaining rotwool pad that was stuck to it from the carpet, sanded everything else, scrubbed the floor with simple green and then cleaned everything with xylene. The xylene left the paint and hard soundproofing kind of tacky after it dried.

I debated removing the hard glued soundproofing too but decided not to since there were no signs of visible rust anywhere. Besides, I'm trying to kill some of the noise roaring though the floor when I'm on the highway.

I read the thread where someone broke out the air chisle and scraped it all up. But, right now I don't really see the need to since that stuff stays glued in for the life of most vehicles anyway.

Looks good. Hopefully the black covering will work out for you. Are you doing the tailgate too?

Not doing the tailgate yet. My 2 year old daughter is still wearing diapers and the tailgate is perfect for changing. So, the tailgate will retain carpet for now.

Much better!

I definately got jigged on the "brown" Durabak. As I applied the "black" Herculiner the Durabak looked more like "pumkin orange" in contrast to the black Herculiner.

Anyway, the black looks much better. Now it's probably going to take a week for this stuff to dry. Then the fun begins retapping the bolt holes that are now covered.

LukeO said:
Then the fun begins retapping the bolt holes that are now covered.

Arent you supposed to put tape or sacrificial bolts in the holes to prevent this? Or did you think it would just be easier to retap the holes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom