It's Durabak time... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had originally planned to screw all of the bolts in the floor a little and then tape them tight. Then I decided it would probabl be faster to clean/tap them instead. Most of th large hole should be no problem, but the anchor point holes in the rear cargo area are covered now. I'm going to wait a day or two and let it dry more before I confirm which way would have been easier.

Man, that is one ugly brown. They must have gotten that color from the juice in Ranch Beans. Please show us a new pic of the black so the nightmares will go away.

Good job Luke. I used Herculiner to do the entire tub of my LWB samurai. It really cut down the road noise.

Good luck to you.

Tom

pictures

I'm going to have to work on the pictures, everytime I try to upload I'm being told their exceeding the limit. I'm a bit of a retard with computers, so it's going to take a while to figure out what I need to do to make the pictures work.

LukeO said:
I'm a bit of a retard with computers, so it's going to take a while to figure out what I need to do to make the pictures work.

It's actually quite easy, even for retards. If Kurt can do it anyone can.

1. Get yourself a silver star by supporting this forum.
2. Use IrfanView to "resize" images to 640x480 or 800x600.
3. Attach your resized images (it's a post option in the forum software)
... or ...
4. Use the [ img ] tags with the URL from your home directory on your ISP or your web site host.

I prefer #4 but most people use #3. If you use #3, you need #1. If you use #4 then #1 is an option but still recommended. You always need to do #2 but you can select other image resizing tools. IrfanView is a freebie; easily located with a Google.

See, that's not so bad is it? :D

-B-

thumbs twiddling

Pictures, finally.

Here are a few, kind of close ups of the black. Obviously no more sh^t orange.

So far, I like the way it worked out.

Last edited:
two more

Before reassembly.

Last edited:
How slick and durable is that stuff? I am curious because I have three large dogs. They don't do well riding on slick stuff. They also tend to tear up stuff with their claws.

Thanks,

Fly Rod

How slick and durable is that stuff? I am curious because I have three large dogs. They don't do well riding on slick stuff. They also tend to tear up stuff with their claws.

Thanks,

Fly Rod

The Durabak/Herculiner (same thing, different name) has dried pretty hard yet maintained a rubbery, textured finish.

If my Great Dane was still alive I could honestly tell you how well it holds up to dogs, but he kicked the bucket some time ago so I cannot respond to that kind of dog wear and tear specifically. He always determined dog durability in a day or two's time; always, always, always. I can't remember much he did not destroy, chew, claw, dig, mangle or disfigure including my wife's beloved cat, who knew better. I suspect the Durabak/Herculiner would have held up better than the seats, seat belts, ceiling liner and whatever else he mangled in my 80 did.

I do know that I keep a lot of junk in the back of my 80, including a tool box that weighs well over 100 pounds, a shovel, a 7 gallon water jug, mtb stuff, kayak stuff, real estate signs etc... After driving around with all of that junk in the back for the last month or more, I have not noticed any visible signs of wear, bubbling or peeling at all.

The water jug still slides some when it has room too, but nowhere near as much as it did on the bare/painted metal, nor any more than it did, in fact less than on the factory carpet.

I would reccomend following the installation/preparation instructions if you choose to use this stuff. I would also reccomend to apply it in the summer time, so it dries faster. The fumes still linger.

Bringing this back up.

Can we get a long-term progress report? Curious to know if you've had any problems with it pealing, particularly in the areas with the stock sound-proofing pads.

Also, how much of the wiring harness is exposed w/ the carpet out? I'm assuming you reinstalled the various plastic trim pieces...

Thanks!

Ary

No problems peeling anywhere so far. Keep in mind there's almost three gallons of Durabak on the floor of my Cruiser which may be contributing to this.

The only wiring harness exposed runs along the little channels besides the doors, so not really exposed in a manner that gets caught up or anything.

I did reinstall the plastic pieces.

So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom