It's big, thick, and black! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that u-joint looks dry... if you grease those those things they last forever

that u-joint looks dry... if you grease those those things they last forever

Noted, and done. Wasn't too long ago I had done them, but we don't want this turning into a "vibration" thread :)

And an update. I was crawling around underneath the other day to look at some bolt locations and noticed the back half of the exhaust had rotted out in two places. It's booked in next week at Carline to replace from the muffler back as the rest of the system looks decent still.
The one rotted area was expected, as it's the lowest point on the whole system so any condensation gathers there. The other hole is up just past a top bend just before it exits into the bumper, kind of a weird place I think to have rotted.

20170811_165315.jpg

20170811_165324.jpg

you are getting seam rot which is more serious

This is why I won't do exhausts in anything but stainless. The steel stuff just doesn't last. And really the cost of doing full 304 stainless isn't really that much greater than steel.

This is why I won't do exhausts in anything but stainless. The steel stuff just doesn't last. And really the cost of doing full 304 stainless isn't really that much greater than steel.

D'oh

Since when did you start doing exhausts also?

Long term update! @Cruisin' replaced the end pipe awhile ago (somewhere after Aug '17) and eliminated the up and over with a more traditional exit behind the rear wheel, thereby eliminating that one low point the system had. Been going strong ever since!

Long term update! @Cruisin' replaced the end pipe awhile ago (somewhere after Aug '17) and eliminated the up and over with a more traditional exit behind the rear wheel, thereby eliminating that one low point the system had. Been going strong ever since!
5 year update, strong work.

and my Ateb steel exhaust is still ok too, though I had to replace the flex piece in my front wheel well a few years ago. Very satisfied, no sign of rust through at all...yet...

and my Ateb steel exhaust is still ok too, though I had to replace the flex piece in my front wheel well a few years ago. Very satisfied, no sign of rust through at all...yet...
Maybe it depends on what kind of exposure it gets, but I cut my ATEB exhaust out about 4 years ago. I probably had it for about 6 years, but put lots of kms on it and a fair amount of winter highway driving. It had lots of pin holes at weld locations and the steel was noticeably thinner at the two locations I cut (just forward of the rear axle, and just before it went up to the turbo). I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying the condition might not be as good as you think if you start to look at it closer.

AL9nZEVqIGRKGE9Wzjiysa8wRDa5kUqaZ6fXXlS0HLX92K0ZpvI9UInHNAhCzLEaw-gSSlRf8P9sjwnLrvwTzvk9ExnBwy_l8n7z1RJrRnKTVFtJXx7Db_ZG5LYuJMj1mbLaFFNC-zL3LY8tsoADkrH56hhZ=w1052-h789-no

In hind sight, I wish I had taken that exhaust to a shop and had someone replicate it in stainless steel.

Maybe it depends on what kind of exposure it gets, but I cut my ATEB exhaust out about 4 years ago. I probably had it for about 6 years, but put lots of kms on it and a fair amount of winter highway driving. It had lots of pin holes at weld locations and the steel was noticeably thinner at the two locations I cut (just forward of the rear axle, and just before it went up to the turbo). I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying the condition might not be as good as you think if you start to look at it closer.

AL9nZEVqIGRKGE9Wzjiysa8wRDa5kUqaZ6fXXlS0HLX92K0ZpvI9UInHNAhCzLEaw-gSSlRf8P9sjwnLrvwTzvk9ExnBwy_l8n7z1RJrRnKTVFtJXx7Db_ZG5LYuJMj1mbLaFFNC-zL3LY8tsoADkrH56hhZ=w1052-h789-no

In hind sight, I wish I had taken that exhaust to a shop and had someone replicate it in stainless steel.
yeah im sure you're right, I suspect after thrashing the truck hard this summer a major issue would have reared its ugly head! I think I will just not look at it too closely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom