IT"S ALIVE!! PS pump issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally brought the Cruiser to life and got it timed. None of my wiring even fried! Obviously still have the bugs to work out. All seems well with engine, but haven't got to tranny or t/c check yet. Here's the rub...when the Saginaw ps pump warms up the steering wheel starts jerking violently back and forth. I'm pretty sure I primed the pump after rebuild. Could this be something I put together wrong during pump rebuild? Seems if the hoses were bacward it would blow the pressure line off the hose clamp return? Would it do this if it never got primed?
Another thing, I'm using a gear box from 84 Toyota 4x4 pickup. There are two small ball bearings in recessed holes on the top, one between the hose fittings and one at the lower end. I cleaned them good but there is no noticeable movement in them. What are they and should they be moveable ie expansion vents or something? It's painted with POR and I've had that stuff gum threads up before when it got under masking tape a bit. Gotta be careful with that stuff...
Thanks for any ideas...

Wow, 43 views and nobody is even laughing at me? I guess I'm the only one who ever screwed this up. Time to tear down the pump again I guess. Just in case this happens to anyone else, Matt at West Texas Off Road suggested that I may have put the pump ring in backwards. I'll post results in a few weeks when I can get back to it.

There may be a bubble in the system. Fill the pump when it is running and check the fluid level after you shut it off. If the level rises, there is still a bubble. I don't know anyhting about the other issue.

I was told to have the front wheels off the ground and with the engine running, slowly move the wheel lock to lock. That should bleed any air out of the system.
Leave the ball bearings alone.

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom