It is time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has come for me to trade in my beloved 2010 4Runner and I am looking to move to a 200 series. I have been drooling over a 200 series since I walked into the Toyota dealer in 2010 and saw one in there. At the time it was the same price as 2 4Runners...so no way was I going to even look at them. Over the past 150,000 miles with my 4Runner (my first Toyota) I realized how amazing and durable vehicles they build.

I have been reading this forum for the past few years learning about the 200 series and I want to make sure I am getting the right vehicle for my needs. I think I want to get a 2013-2015 LX570, it's the right price point for me and has the AHC system which will be great for the towing I do. The big thing I am going to miss is the back window rolling down, that is very useful. I do plan on re-badging as a toyota as I much prefer to have that image. I also carry about 300lbs of tools and parts for apartments all of the time in various totes or loose in my vehicle. Am I correct that in the 200 series I can remove the third row and one of the second row seats? That would give me much more workable interior space. I rarely have more than three people in the vehicle.

Trailers I tow:
boat 1: 4000lbs a few times a year with one three hour one way trip
boat 2: 3200lbs three one hour trips
tool trailer: this is my work trailer (I am a landlord) 3000lbs three days a week
landscape trailer with tractor: 5000lbs as needed

Questions:

1. I would say I have a trailer behind my vehicle for about 25% of my miles, will the LX570 be as good of a tow vehicle as the 4Runner?

2. What is the height of the rear hatch from the ground when opened? My garage has a low ceiling.

3. I am a landlord and tow a 12' enclosed tool trailer. One of the buildings has a very tight driveway access and with the 200 series being 7" longer I am concerned about being able to make it in there. Is there anyone who wants some gas $$ and lunch who is close to Chicopee MA, I am looking to hook up my tool trailer to a 200 and see if it can make it in the entrance. I have not had luck finding a used one close enough and for some reason dealers are not thrilled about my ideas of a test drive.

4. I paddle a surf ski (20' long kayak) and with it on the roof rack use the rolling back window of the 4runner to still access the back of the car. Does the rear hatch have a spoiler on it that tips up above the roofline when open? Just trying to see if I can sort out some way to have the kayak on the car and still get into the back.

I realize I am not the typical owner of these vehicles. I am looking to make it into a work truck, surf ski hauler, trailer towing machine...while still being small enough to get into the tight driveway access when I work. Any guidance or advice is appreciated!

Surf ski

20191024_160226.jpg

20190924_111811.jpg

Tool trailer

It will be better than a 4Runner in almost every appreciable way. Lots of folks on this forum who tow a lot with their 570 (paging @TeCKis300 @coleAK ). The AHC makes it a no brainer.

The seats come out easily. 3rd row seats are 4 bolts each. I believe that @indycole and @Markuson also run without a second row.

The spoiler does swing with the hatch. You could remove it but there are some ugly bolt holes underneath.

You’ll need a resistor to trick the airbag logic when you remove a second row seat, but yes they come out and it frees up significant space.

Most of the other stuff can be better answered by others.

Oh, and what tbisaacs said about better in every way. Between the power, space, comfort, and sheer quality you’ll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

I’m pretty busy over the next couple weeks, but I might be able to meet up with you if you don’t find someone else in the mean time. I live in Rensselaer County, NY which is about an hour and a half away from Springfield. I actually go to the woodcraft store in Springfield a couple times a year. I think Chicopee is possibly a few minutes closer to me than Springfield.

You’ll need a resistor to trick the airbag logic when you remove a second row seat, but yes they come out and it frees up significant space.

Most of the other stuff can be better answered by others.

Oh, and what tbisaacs said about better in every way. Between the power, space, comfort, and sheer quality you’ll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.
What is the airbag logic and what does the resistor do and where would you get a resistor? I have removed my third row seats didn’t realize anything else needed to be done

It will be better than a 4Runner in almost every appreciable way. Lots of folks on this forum who tow a lot with their 570 (paging @TeCKis300 @coleAK ). The AHC makes it a no brainer.

The seats come out easily. 3rd row seats are 4 bolts each. I believe that @indycole and @Markuson also run without a second row.

The spoiler does swing with the hatch. You could remove it but there are some ugly bolt holes underneath.

Yep. Second row removal not only opens huge space, but saves weight, and also lets you store heaviest gear at a lower, more centered point...so it’s a win-win.
-That 60% 2nd row seat weigh close to 100 pounds...!!!...which is even heavier than the fridge and it’s actually a great fridge spot if you simply bolt down a fridge plate mount using the super-strong seat-mount bolt holes.

Right now I’m running my fridge/freezer and recovery-gear box on the driver-side 2nd floor behind driver...& keeping my 40% seat in. This extra seat works for my dog, or for one extra passenger like when we transpoted an injured motorcyclist for medical in Ouray.

-Passenger can access fridge while driving...and no need to open swing-out or hatch this way too..

About seatbelts— The resistor works a charm, but in a pinch (no resistor) just know that if you don’t mind the little red light on the dash...other airbags stay active, so no problem there.

Last edited:
If you were fine towing with your V6 4Runner, your going to enjoy towing with a 200.

I had a ‘05 4Runner, a ‘08 LC and a ‘14 LX. I have a small utility trailer, a 16’ camping trailer (about 2500 lbs.) a 25’ travel trailer (about 6000 lbs) and a 4000 lb. jet boat. Probably over 20,000 KM’s of towing in both city and remote driving in the 200’s after 15 years of V6 4Runner and three years of V8 4 Runner. After going to the 5.7 v8 I was ecstatic with the LC and the LX was another upgrade. I would be surprised if there is any difference with the access question or with the clearance. I removed the third row and as the owner of a small power line company I found that tipping the second row down meant that I had no reason to remove the second row. The AHC and rear camera make hooking up when alone a snap and the Escape Gear “canvas” seat covers save the seats while maintaining the look of my “saddle” coloured leather. I was concerned about the “bling” factor but I wouldn’t go back to a LC.
But, holy mother of god, the stupid, infantile method of securing the tipped second row drives me crazy.

I just came from a 2017 4Runner (gave it to the ex) into a 2013 LX. The difference is nigh and day. I honestly would never even think of towing with the 4runner, here in Colorado is constantly struggled with gear selection (I hated that engine/trans combo) on hills/mountains. I often took my Sienna hunting because the 4runner was so aggravating to drive in the mountains. BTW, how was it an 8 y/o minivan had a 6sp and my new 4runner only had 5.........

Yes it was awesome off road but that is probably less than 5% of use for an average driver. I would think if you towed with a 4runner the LX/LC would be a dream compared to that. The 6sp and V8 are night an day. I am big fan of the AHC.

As much as I love the LX for its refined Lexus qualities, it earns its keep for its tremendous utility. Towing is childs play for the 200-series.

As one that tows a lot, you'll know the joy of cranking up and down that tongue jack. Let the LX do it for you. AHC shines here with its ability to lower and raise to get the ball under the hitch and almost self hookup. Staying completely level regardless of payload or tow load. Then suspension dials itself in for optimal comfort and control.

I once rented a hydraulic dump trailer as I was digging a large hole for a swim spa. Definitely overloaded it towing over 10k lbs on a couple short trips. She handled it.
1573412736386.png

1600lbs of concrete. What sag?
1573413082392.png

7700lbs of travel trailer with 2000lbs payload for long road trips. Couldn't be more comfortable.
1573413190950.png

One of my most favorite things about towing with the cruiser is its exceptional maneuverability. It's within spitting distance of the 4runner. 38.7 ft LX vs 37.4 ft 4R.

I had an '05 V8 4Runner. Loved that car. You won't look back.

Note on the roll-down rear window of the T4R. Yeah, I enjoyed that feature too. Though I rarely rolled it down when actually driving as it would pull in fumes from the tail pipe. Was great sitting and getting airflow though. The LX can't do that, but it can auto-open its rear upper hatch while seated in the drivers seat for almost the same functionality. Then auto-close without lifting a finger...well to press a button. You'll love the advantage of the the awesome tailgate that the T4R doesn't have.

What is the airbag logic and what does the resistor do and where would you get a resistor? I have removed my third row seats didn’t realize anything else needed to be done

This is for the second row where there are airbags in the seats. If they just get unplugged the airbag module senses an open circuit and gives you a warning light on the dash. The resistor just plugs into the yellow airbag plug near the lower seat hinge and fools the brain into thinking the bag is still there so you get no light.

I don’t remember the resistor value but it has been posted in this section. I do it every big trip I take, since my second row gets removed for those.

I’m pretty busy over the next couple weeks, but I might be able to meet up with you if you don’t find someone else in the mean time. I live in Rensselaer County, NY which is about an hour and a half away from Springfield. I actually go to the woodcraft store in Springfield a couple times a year. I think Chicopee is possibly a few minutes closer to me than Springfield.
Thanks! Chicopee is not far away from springfield. Let's see if someone closer pops up. I am in no rush.

As much as I love the LX for its refined Lexus qualities, it earns its keep for its tremendous utility. Towing is childs play for the 200-series.

As one that tows a lot, you'll know the joy of cranking up and down that tongue jack. Let the LX do it for you. AHC shines here with its ability to lower and raise to get the ball under the hitch and almost self hookup. Staying completely level regardless of payload or tow load. Then suspension dials itself in for optimal comfort and control.

I once rented a hydraulic dump trailer as I was digging a large hole for a swim spa. Definitely overloaded it towing over 10k lbs on a couple short trips. She handled it.
View attachment 2129636

1600lbs of concrete. What sag?
View attachment 2129637

7700lbs of travel trailer with 2000lbs payload for long road trips. Couldn't be more comfortable.
View attachment 2129638

One of my most favorite things about towing with the cruiser is its exceptional maneuverability. It's within spitting distance of the 4runner. 38.7 ft LX vs 37.4 ft 4R.

I had an '05 V8 4Runner. Loved that car. You won't look back.

Note on the roll-down rear window of the T4R. Yeah, I enjoyed that feature too. Though I rarely rolled it down when actually driving as it would pull in fumes from the tail pipe. Was great sitting and getting airflow though. The LX can't do that, but it can auto-open its rear upper hatch while seated in the drivers seat for almost the same functionality. Then auto-close without lifting a finger...well to press a button. You'll love the advantage of the the awesome tailgate that the T4R doesn't have.

WOW, that is amazing with that much weight and no sag! I have had my 4Runner loaded in a similar way several times and it's a lot for it. I end up dragging the jack on the trailer when it sags down too much. I did not realize the 2013-2015 had a power rear hatch! That would make up for some of the roll down window usefulness. I end up putting the window down a lot to communicate with others spotting a trailer. I really appreciate the feedback and towing photos. I guess I had better head out and find a few to test drive to get a feel for them .

WOW, that is amazing with that much weight and no sag! I have had my 4Runner loaded in a similar way several times and it's a lot for it. I end up dragging the jack on the trailer when it sags down too much. I did not realize the 2013-2015 had a power rear hatch! That would make up for some of the roll down window usefulness. I end up putting the window down a lot to communicate with others spotting a trailer. I really appreciate the feedback and towing photos. I guess I had better head out and find a few to test drive to get a feel for them .

I have a 25fb airstream while there is no sag I have to warn you the auto leveling though really throws off how much weight you think you have in the back vs the front it’s still there in the back even though there isn’t sag.. you have to get a weight distribution hitch and go to the cat scales and get it weighed. My LX and Airstream appeared to be perfectly set up. When I went to the cat scale I had to add an additional 400 lbs of weight to the front. The auto level will just level regardless of how much weight you have back there (well to a point lol) So I can’t say enough about the importance of going to the cat scales to weigh your vehicle to make sure you have all the weights in line. With the weight distribution dialed in I’m only 100 lbs off from The weight with out the trailer hooked up and with it hooked up on the front axles. I tow with a pro pride hitch with 1400 lbs bars... look up the tow section teckis300 gives some good pointers with the lx570.

322E98E4-C712-4777-BBE2-6E36762939C9.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 25fb airstream while there is no sag I have to warn you the auto leveling though really throws off how much weight you think you have in the back vs the front it’s still there in the back even though there isn’t sag.. you have to get a weight distribution hitch and go to the cat scales and get it weighed. My LX and Airstream appeared to be perfectly set up. When I went to the cat scale I had to add an additional 400 lbs of weight to the front. The auto level will just level regardless of how much weight you have back there (well to a point lol) So I can’t say enough about the importance of going to the cat scales to weigh your vehicle to make sure you have all the weights in line. With the weight distribution dialed in I’m only 100 lbs off from The weight with out the trailer hooked up and with it hooked up on the front axles. I tow with a pro pride hitch with 1400 lbs bars... look up the tow section teckis300 gives some good pointers with the lx570.

View attachment 2131603
This is a very good point. I use the sag of the 4Runner to make sure my trailers are loaded with the right tongue weight. Especially when towing my tractor it needs to be right..I will have to be careful with this.

Today i did a very accurate experiment and taped chipotle forks to my 4Runner bumper to see if i could make the turn into the apartment building while towing my trailer. It was a success! I have to get the line just right so the fender clears by about one inch...its the same with the fork there or not.
20191112_124953.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom