1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is time to replace my shocks

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 410225, Feb 4, 2004.

1. 410225

Bilstein, KYB, Pro-comp, Gabriel, OEM, OME which is a better shocks for
    regular city/highway driving, softer ride than stock, don't want the height to be changed?
    It is going on 97 LC FZJ80.
    Thanks.

2. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

IIRC, Junk was referring Rancho shocks as the most comfy ones after riding in his friend's truck. I think stock ones are already soft - but the orig. shocks on the LX's are even softer. Another option comes to my mind is the soft-valving OME N70s I believe...

Regards,
    Frank.

3. Pitbull

Pitbull

I've had stock, Monroes (on sale from sears, big mistake) and now OME's (the stiff ones). I like the OME's. Rides fine, not soft not hard just right. Hey its a LC, if you want a soft smooth ride get one of them there Lexus RX300 girlie cars :flipoff2: Sorry I lost control for a minute :whoops:

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    If yor really want a soft ride, get the OEM Lexus shocks. They are nice and mushy.

5. 410225

Dan,

How much should I expect to pay for Lexus shocks?

6. landtoy80

landtoy80

You can buy my shocks. They are very soft, mushy and and original with 230kmi on them :mad:

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=11014;start=msg99204#msg99204 date=1075928124]
    Dan,

How much should I expect to pay for Lexus shocks?
    [/quote]

I would guess around 30 bucks each. I don't have access to the Lexus part number file or pricing. I'm basing my guess on what the cruiser versions sell for. Lexus usually runs about 7% or so higher than Toyota on comparble items.

8. Augie

Augie

Softer shock does not guarantee you would get softer ride.
    If the shock are too soft you would have too much wheel movement and it might even give very rough ride if it allow the suspension to bottom out.
    The shock have to be matched to the spring. Firmer spring would relatively need firmer rebound but less compression valving than stock. If you go with softer spring then you would relatively need firmer compression damping but less rebound.

If you want soft ride I would Highly recommend twin tube shock construction. KYB and Bilstein are Monotube which are great but would give slightly firmer ride. Tokico, Koni, Gabriel, Monroe and OME are twin tube design which use low gas pressure and should relatively give softer ride (depend on valving also). I believe Edelbrock are available in monotube or twintube design (at least for 4Runner it does).

When you say stock does it mean your truck now with 115K and worn stock or you are comparing to brand new LC in 97? Most likely your shock are pretty worn if they are still original and it would highly contribute to rough ride you experience right now.

9. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I put Rancho 9000X's on my '94 a couple of months ago. A very noticable improvement. No lift - wouldn't fit in garage with any lift at all. I had OEM original shocks with about 120K on them. These are the 9 position Rancho's. Started them in position 4 and they were firmer than the old OEM shocks. :doh: Have the rears on 9 (stiffest) right now from towing scout trailer. A little too firm for highway driving I do most of the time. Note to self - crawl under beast and change back to 4-6, back will appreciate it! :flipoff2:to myself until done!

10. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Moved the settings to 6 on fronts and rears (up from 4 in front and down from 9 in rear) this weekend. Very nice firm ride as I do mostly in town and freeway driving.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">