It cranks over but it Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Here we go again.

2 weeks ago my tie rod went just before a snow storm. I had it fixed.

Then my turn signals went dead. They don't work and it's not the fuse.

This morning I started the Cruiser to go and drop it off for a front end alignment. I ran in the house and left it running. ...It's freakin cold out there.

I came back out and it had stalled. I turned the key and it cranked like a mother but just wouldn't start.

Fuel pump, you think? Where is the fuel pump on a 62". I'm afraid to go and look.

As I may have a ground issue with the turn signals...could it be a ground issue with the fuel pump?

Or are there any other ideas why it won't it start?

Things have gone right down hill since I had the relay rod and tie rod replaced.

Snow coming again on friday and my Cruiser is out of commission again.

your truck must like her-She must have the touch-you were turning the key the wrong way ?:D

Gotta go through the basics:

Fuel?
Spark?
Compression?

Is it happening at the right time?

Wet location? Check your leads, cap, rotor.
Checked fuel pressure?
Checked injector pulse?
Sensors? etc... etc...

She just wants to trade her chevy cavalier for my cruiser. She's up to something. I'm being set up.

Honestly...I'm afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of getting stranded.

It can be the fuel pump I'm thinking. Maybe the filter? I've seen this before with a car I had. Same symptoms ...and before you know it the fuel pump had burned out.

What am I looking for?

How do you check it...fix it..
From the tank(fuel pump) the wire runs up inside that rear quarter panel it has a tendency to loose connection.....which would explain why it starts when it feels like it.

BTW this happens alot....check it if it is ok :)move on to something else.

Have you checked for codes yet?

Two wires, red with green stripe(power) and white with black stripe(ground). They lead from the fuel pump on the top of the tank into the driver side rear quarter panel on top of the wheel well. The wheel wells are notorious for rust and can let water in which will sometimes screw up the wiring. Pop off the panels that cover the jack compartment and take a look. Also test the connector on the top of the fuel tank to see if it is getting current.

To send current to the pump w/o the engine running jump the two test terminals in the diagnostic box, the top and bottom terminals on the drivers side of the box(I think they are FP and B+, but don't have the manual with me). Then turn the key to the ON position. You can access the connector by pulling the carpet and removing the small cover in the center of the cargo area.

Two wires, red with green stripe(power) and white with black stripe(ground). They lead from the fuel pump on the top of the tank into the driver side rear quarter panel on top of the wheel well. The wheel wells are notorious for rust and can let water in which will sometimes screw up the wiring. Pop off the panels that cover the jack compartment and take a look. Also test the connector on the top of the fuel tank to see if it is getting current.

To send current to the pump w/o the engine running jump the two test terminals in the diagnostic box, the top and bottom terminals on the drivers side of the box(I think they are FP and B+, but don't have the manual with me). Then turn the key to the ON position. You can access the connector by pulling the carpet and removing the small cover in the center of the cargo area.
oh thank you:) been a long day

Not checked for codes.

I was leaning towards replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter to start. Easy to do and it's probably time anyway. Then i was going to run some Seafoam thru the system.

Update....

Turns out you were dead on Cruiser88.

It was that harness in the drivers side rear quarter.

Water from the bad weather over the years got in and corroded the connections.

No fuel.

Great feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom