Isuzu NPR alternator vacuum ports (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you ditching the vacuum pump off the Cummins?

Its a long story... Ill try and keep it short.

The cummins motor of my vintage has two diaphragm vacuum pumps off the side and bottom of the back of the power steering pump, I didn't realize it but the shop that had originally swapped it in deleted one put a block off plate, they also added in an electric pump with reservoir to handle things, the electric pump was problematic, the vacuum switch would fail and the pump stayed on and eventually burnt out. I want to delete it all essentially. Also the stock diaphragm pumps have a reputation of being lacking.

Don't feed from the turbo the oil is hotter , if you feed before with a tee not sure how to check that you have enough flow to both with out some way to if there is back pressure at the tee

I checked how much flow it seemed to want to take by pushing air through and while rotating it, Im going to run oil from the other plug that runs to the pressure gauge and run a tee there to feed both.

I had to order a new 8 groove pulley wheel, I started to damage the grooves on the cummins alt while trying to remove it.

Will have some more data after I eat dinner.

here is where I ordered a pulley from:

And why I don’t order from amazon in Canada:

70BC7F78-2010-4FFB-B0C7-BAD1C5A041B4.png

5A722787-C7F6-43EC-BFD3-BC9B4D81389F.jpeg

04B040CF-0CE0-46D6-AD93-F5A3B5CD13BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have the same alternator on my BJ40 and it worked great. I don’t see why you couldnt tee off the turbo lines.

oh really? Any pics or challenges with the install
straight forward install. hardest part is modifying the lower alternator mount, I don't have any pics of the install. I also help another local cruiser install this on his bj74..

straight forward install. hardest part is modifying the lower alternator mount, I don't have any pics of the install. I also help another local cruiser install this on his bj74..

Good to know, another fella in the club is wanting to look at mine to figure out if he can put one one the 3B in his BJ72

I do have the same alternator on my BJ40 and it worked great. I don’t see why you couldnt tee off the turbo lines.
i have that alternator on a 2h and 3b motor , working good so far.

Hey guys, I have this thing bolted up, just need to know what’s to be done with the wiring?

there is one big post that is obviously (+) power to the battery, and a socket with two pins. I need to know which of the pins do what. I would guess one takes power from ignition, but the other could be an indicator, or a ground or...

If you fellas got this installed and figured out could you let me know? Big thanks!

It’s been so long ago I can’t remember but I did find how it’s wired up somewhere on here. I didn’t mess with removing the external wiring and got it to work.

I’ll try to remember to take a peak tomorrow.

Usually there's an ignition and a sense wire. The alternator is grounded through the housing to the engine. The sense pin needs to be wired to a point close to the battery positive terminal.

It would be fairly easy to check which is which. The alternator won't put out any power if there's no voltage on the ignition pin. The internal regulator won't vary the output to match the load if the sense wire isn't hooked up.

Well, I’m gonna guess an ignition (I) and sense (S) but should really know definitively so I don’t let the magic smoke out of it. I would also need both of the wires connected for it to operate, and/or it will drain power if connected wrong I believe. I should guess the one with lower resistance would be ignition as it would draw power, the sense wire would only pull when the (I) is on and then probably very little (high resistance)... if I’m guessing correctly

Hey guys, I have this thing bolted up, just need to know what’s to be done with the wiring?

there is one big post that is obviously (+) power to the battery, and a socket with two pins. I need to know which of the pins do what. I would guess one takes power from ignition, but the other could be an indicator, or a ground or...

If you fellas got this installed and figured out could you let me know? Big thanks!
Post #20 covers it really well.

Post #20 covers it really well.

thanks... that’s a 3 blade connector... I have a two blade connector. So post #20 is really helpful for 3 and 4 blade plugs. Doesn’t help for a 2 blade as mentioned in post 49.

haha, all good appreciate the help though.

9F24558D-97F6-48FA-A36F-4EDBD8C94072.jpeg

Cody - which alternator did you buy? It's hard to be more helpful when most of the content of this topic prior to your posts are discussing a different/older NPR style/lower-amperage alternator. Al link or part number for the one you purchased might help.

Cody - which alternator did you buy? It's hard to be more helpful when most of the content of this topic prior to your posts are discussing a different/older NPR style/lower-amperage alternator. Al link or part number for the one you purchased might help.

i got some help from the distributor

D5526571-D9EE-49BD-A971-C16CC4B9DCD7.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom