isuzu 6bb1 5.4 litre truck engine in my 80 series (1 Viewer)

turbo is cactus any ideas what's the best one for it

• uhm what does this mean

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • it's telling me to do it so I am

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I believe he knows more about turbos than I do.

All I could think to suggest is maybe find a turbo similar in specs to an hx35. I do think you'd spool one fine.

Yeah I believe he knows more about turbos than I do.

All I could think to suggest is maybe find a turbo similar in specs to an hx35. I do think you'd spool one fine.

... I would run an Holset hx35 if you can find one. Should be adapter to bolt to whatever flange you have, or have one made.

The HE351s are cool too, because you can even get them in a VGT and then you can rig up custom ways to run that so you'll have quick spool and lots of boost.

Max, I think you suggested the right direction. Since he is just a little displacement shy of the cummins 6bt's I stick to a smaller side of the turbine housings that are offered to help spool and cool down EGTs.

Diesel 80, I don't know what is offered/available where you live. What you can do is search out the specs for the Holset HX35 on the internet and start comparing that to what is readily available around you. It'll probably require some reading and hunting but that's how it works when you are trying to match up something that is not factory. I do this all the time with questions and ideas that I have for my projects. Use this thread to document what you find and as a place of comparison, like an interactive journal. What would be helpful for us is for you to list more information about your engine, set up, planned usage for your truck, and any goals you have for it. That helps those who have done something like what you want to do to chime in and offer suggestions.

I'd also suggest visiting 4btswaps.com. There are some very knowledgeable people there on turbos. The main forum has sections for other engines besides the cummins 4bt so check it out.

Thanks boots4 . I have gotten it going over the weekend although the turbo looks a lot different it doesn't seem to have made much difference on the short drive that i went on I'm part way through fitting a boost gauge and I'm waiting for the egt gauge to show up the A/R reading on the turbine housing says A/R60 same as the compressor side is A/R60 once i get the both gauges on I will let you know what it's doing

Hi would like to talk to you about your conversion can you give me a call on 0412832278 to talk about it .
Thanks Alan.

I'm getting a lot of this why from people to that i say because I can the things are as robust as a tank better on fuel than the 1fzfe engine it pulls like a train it'll run on just about anything oil based and are very cheap to get and build if you ever need to more than once and it pulls a camper like it's not even their .....soooo why not.

Isuzu 6BB1 is an old engine. Was superseded by the 6BD1, which was last used some 20 years ago give or tak. Good reliable engines, gave good mpg and modest hp.

Thanks boots4 . I have gotten it going over the weekend although the turbo looks a lot different it doesn't seem to have made much difference on the short drive that i went on I'm part way through fitting a boost gauge and I'm waiting for the egt gauge to show up the A/R reading on the turbine housing says A/R60 same as the compressor side is A/R60 once i get the both gauges on I will let you know what it's doing

20210922_141908.jpg

20210922_142040.jpg

I'm dealing with a similar project here in the US. Is Deisel 80 still a member on the forum? I have questions!

Anyone have experience with this series motor? I would appreciate information.

They were popular in the latter 70's. They are underpowered without a turbo and unreliable with a turbo. You could swap in a 6BD1T if you are wanting to stay Isuzu and keep up with traffic. These are old engines, Support isn't the best.

They were popular in the latter 70's. They are underpowered without a turbo and unreliable with a turbo. You could swap in a 6BD1T if you are wanting to stay Isuzu and keep up with traffic. These are old engines, Support isn't the best.
The motor is in the truck. It is non turbo. Underpowered by today's standard? In a light duty truck, would it be considered insufficient? I know the parts/support issues.

The motor is in the truck. It is non turbo. Underpowered by today's standard? In a light duty truck, would it be considered insufficient? I know the parts/support issues.

It would be underpowered by most people's standards. I would put it close in power to the small straight sixes from the 60's like the 240 six from Ford, 230 six GM, or 225 Dodge. Difference being any of those engines you can get parts for. The Isuzu's like yours have injectors with internal parts that crack and are NLA. They can be repaired at a high cost, or atleast they could a decade ago last I dealt with it.

It would be underpowered by most people's standards. I would put it close in power to the small straight sixes from the 60's like the 240 six from Ford, 230 six GM, or 225 Dodge. Difference being any of those engines you can get parts for. The Isuzu's like yours have injectors with internal parts that crack and are NLA. They can be repaired at a high cost, or atleast they could a decade ago last I dealt with it.
Understood. Ebay has helped on that side to source parts. I guess the fact the swap is done and was working already is deciding factor. It's a toy/hobby project in the end.

Screenshot_20211226-121709_eBay.jpg

K5 these are medium duty engines and rubies won’t underpowered and unreliable. They turbo well and will be way more powerful than any light duty old I-6’s. They have a lot of parts that interchange with 6 and 4bd series engines. Got to 4btswaps.com and check out the Isuzu diesel section. You can find most parts for them still. 6bd1t would be easier to find.

K5 these are medium duty engines and rubies won’t underpowered and unreliable. They turbo well and will be way more powerful than any light duty old I-6’s. They have a lot of parts that interchange with 6 and 4bd series engines. Got to 4btswaps.com and check out the Isuzu diesel section. You can find most parts for them still. 6bd1t would be easier to find.
My initial research has backed that up. It started easily after 20 years of sitting. I'm not planning to turbo, tweak or upgrade. My goal is to keep it simple and in good order. The fun is in its obscurity stateside.

Is it in an 80? If you leave it NA, it will probably seem underpowered on the top end. These are good for decent power with a good turbo and low psi. They don’t have piston oil squirters as far as I know, so if you do go turbo which most would recommend, get some EGT and boost guages ASAP. A lot of guys with the NA 4bd1’s turbo them with excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom