Isuzu 4JB1 2.8 TD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw one of these 110 HP engines with 5 spd and transfercase out of a trooper advertised for $2900. It's a Japanese take out with 40,000 to 50,000 miles on it. Would this combo fit in a FJ40? The TC comes off the same side as a landcruiser but the rear drive shaft looks to come off the center. Anyone have any experience with these?

They're a really solid little motor. Some people have really wound the snot out of them too.
Being direct injection they're noisier than the 4JG1 which replaced it, but they're a lot easier on fuel too.

I've driven them plenty, was planning to own one in an Isuzu Mu, but got a great deal on a 4wd diesel nissan instead.

Owned one for about 3 years in Japan, conveniently installed inside one of the nicest little Bighorns ever seen! I still regret letting that truck go when I moved back to Canada, but didn't have the $$$ to bring it with me.

In my experience and based on my research, this is one of the best small diesel engines ever made. Efficient, great torque, smooth, quiet (to me), easy to work on, and so very long lived. Some came with timing chains, others with belts, see which one you've got. No real difference, minus the $500 you spend every 5-10 years on t-belt replacements...

Check out some of the Auz/NZ Isuzu MU forums and see what they think of that engine. In my 4dr Trooper I got an easy 900kms per 83 litre tank; the 2dr MU's are known to get 1000kms on the same size tank

I have a few videos of this truck on my site as well (see below).

In my experience and based on my research, this is one of the best small diesel engines ever made. Efficient, great torque, smooth, quiet (to me), easy to work on, and so very long lived. Some came with timing chains, others with belts, see which one you've got. No real difference, minus the $500 you spend every 5-10 years on t-belt replacements...

They are a pushrod motor though, the timing chain/belt drives the fuel pump and maybe something else.
So a belt failure isn't the scrap dealers friend that it can be on some engines.

They are a pushrod motor though, the timing chain/belt drives the fuel pump and maybe something else.
So a belt failure isn't the scrap dealers friend that it can be on some engines.

I think this is the engine that had some problems with the injectors rattling loose and parts falling in the engine.
I dont think it was as a big a problem as some made it out to be though.
Izusu diesels have a reputation similar to Toyotas in oz

I think it would be ok in a 40 if you can keep the weight down and it would really sip the diesel especially offroad.
You would probably have to use lower gears more often than a 2F

Owned one for about 3 years in Japan, conveniently installed inside one of the nicest little Bighorns ever seen! I still regret letting that truck go when I moved back to Canada, but didn't have the $$$ to bring it with me.

If you had taken it back to Canada,would you have left the Bighorn stickers on:D ?

I think this is the engine that had some problems with the injectors rattling loose and parts falling in the engine.
I dont think it was as a big a problem as some made it out to be though.
Izusu diesels have a reputation similar to Toyotas in oz

I think it would be ok in a 40 if you can keep the weight down and it would really sip the diesel especially offroad.
You would probably have to use lower gears more often than a 2F

The only problem these engines occasionally have is putting a leg out of bed. I know of 3 that've done it.
Never heard of an injector rattling loose, the typical design makes it impossible for them to go anywhere but upwards.

Head reconditioners here just love the little toyota diesels.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom