ISUZU 4BG1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a buddy who has an Isuzu 4BG1 marine engine the he would go give me CHEAP . I don’t know if it’s something that would work on a 1974 fj40. I’m just starting the research process on the swap. Thanks all!

Quick search shows an engine weight of 850lb and hp of 111. I think there are other diesels with a better power to weight ratio. 850lb is a lot of weight for a 40 series. Seems like an engine best suited to boats?

Kowalski has a 4bg1t and it's an improved version of an already great engine the 4bd1t. If it is a non turbo version find out if it's got piston squirters and such. Dimensionally identical to the 4bd1t which has been done many times. If it lacks turbo specific features I'd be hesitant. Adaptors are available but yould have to see what tranny yould want to use. It's not a plug and play engine.

I wonder if the 850lb is just for the marine version with extra heat exchangers etc? Although I just looked up a 13BT and apparently fully dressed they're around 750lb. Maybe ignore everything I'm saying...LOL

I wonder if the 850lb is just for the marine version with extra heat exchangers etc? Although I just looked up a 13BT and apparently fully dressed they're around 750lb. Maybe ignore everything I'm saying...LOL

Yes the marine engines have extra stuff hanging off them everywhere. Including big mounts and bell-housings. That said a 4BD1T dressed is 360kg (790lb).

The Marine 4BG1T went up to 200hp (continuous) rating. They're a 4BD1/T with longer bore and stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom