Issues with 3B cutting out in BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,
Background, Just overhauled the 3B in my 1986 BJ70 overhauled. In conjunction, I have the injector pump, injectors and AXT turbo rebuild at shop specialized to support this.

Current Situation, Engine is in the truck and runs for short'ish durations but restarts. While running the oil pressure is strong (gauge shows over 50 psi), but the idiot lights remain on while running (brake, charge & filter). She sputters and slowly drops off like she is fuel starved.
I have checked all the fuses with a meter (rather than count on eye sight). The water separator has been completely drained and refilled with fresh fuel. The switch on the separator has been checked out good for operation with a meter. Started out with a brand new fuel filter, replaced it with another new filter; no change in behavior. Also, oil and coolant levels are topped off.

Thanks any help would be appreciated. I have not found any clues in the engine and body manuals, nor searching old threads.

Is this a 3B with a rotary injection pump or inline?

If inline, and an EDIC is still fitted you need to get eyes on the EDIC rod and see if the EDIC is cycling it to OFF intermittently. Often this happens if engine or body earths are poor.

If inline, and an EDIC is still fitted you need to get eyes on the EDIC rod and see if the EDIC is cycling it to OFF intermittently. Often this happens if engine or body earths are poor.

Yes it has the inline injection pump with EDIC. I will recheck my grounds and get a helper so I can watch the fuel shut off rod from the EDIC shutting it off.

Thanks

Once its stopped.. what do you have to do to get it going again?

Unclip the EDIC arm by pulling the clip up with your thumb, it should naturally want to be in the run position. There will be no electrical issues, if you need to drive tie the arm from Edic motor,or unplug the EDIC.

Last night with help from my daughter, I was able to get eyes on the EDIC. It appeared to be in near continuous motion; extending and retracting back as she tried to start the engine. I was able to recheck for a snug (complete) engagement at the electrical connector. Beyond that, it was late and there was not time for more..

If it is a grounding issue, my thought is to add a grounding strap. But what needs to be grounded? How do I determine that? With the EDIC blocked directly to the block, that does not seem be a likely grounding issue. A ground wire is connected to the intake manifold and the manifold was powder coated => would addition of a ground strap between the manifold and the block/frame be a logical starting place?

Thanks

If it is a grounding issue, my thought is to add a grounding strap. But what needs to be grounded? How do I determine that? With the EDIC blocked directly to the block, that does not seem be a likely grounding issue. A ground wire is connected to the intake manifold and the manifold was powder coated => would addition of a ground strap between the manifold and the block/frame be a logical starting place?

Yes... add more ground straps.. even if temporary to prove this is the issue, block and body. The EDIC rod should not be moving whilst cranking.. if its cycling, its nearly always a grounding issue.

In the meantime you can also pop the EDIC rod off to allow the engine to run, you'll have to stall the engine to stop it though.

Most likely something inside the relay box.
Definitely do the easy check grounds or add grounds first.
The box is easy to open and quite robust.
I found that I could even get the starter to engage whilst poking around with a test light and alligator clips, so put her in N and check the tires.
Now: Once you figure out the Edic or go to a manual shut off while sorting this out,pay attention to smoke and rpms! The constant cycling of the Edic may cause the IP's diaphragm to fail prematurely to rapidly, again disconnect the arm and unplug the Edic motor if you need to drive.

... EDIC.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the help. I added a ground strap from the EDIC (attachment bolt to block) to the intake manifold and another strap from the intake manifold to the firewall. That cured EDIC and she started/ran fine. However, the warning lights remained on. I installed my spare alternator and the lights remain off now while operating.

Odd that completely new issues manifested after rebuilding the engine, but you helped resolve. Again thank you.

Shameless advertising pics :grinpimp:...

9F727FDA-1341-4560-811E-5ED675B7365E.jpeg

DC033AAA-4DEE-4E5E-A37A-286E2326DA36.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom