Issues with 2 windows/ bracket - repair shop confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.....BTW I did do a search on here before posting this, and also on Google, etc. Hope this thread is not redundant. Anyway, here goes....

I have a 2002 LC that has issues with 2 of the windows. Passenger side front won't go up or down, and driver rear won't either (and has a gap at the top of about 2 inches, currently covered up with duct tape to prevent leaks! :rolleyes: ). I took it to my local independent shop for other work (belt, AC, front bearings), but they are confused on how to fix the windows. Of course I can go to the dealer, but wanted advice here first, since I've just spent a lot of $$ on other repair to the LC.

The shop is describing the problem with both of the windows as "the bracket is not attached to the glass from the factory" and that the "glass is not hooked to anything so it can't attach to the regulator". The shop advised me to go to a body shop and get new window glass for both. This seems strange to me, and also I have factory glass on both windows which I want to keep since there's nothing wrong with it.

I did find the thread below but I don't think it's the same issue.

What are your thoughts on how to "attach the glass to the regulator"? The PO or someone has taken the door panels off before, could parts be missing?

Thanks for any advice!!

run-jpg.2607447

Last edited:
There are two brackets attached to the factory glass which then attach to the regulator. You can see them in the parts diagram you posted at the bottom of the window.

My passenger side had one of them broken so it was only partially attached. It would go up and down, but was janky. If I recall correctly some say you can attach a new bracket to the window but I just got new glass from a junkyard. Everything in place now no issues.

Thanks, Matador! I did notice those small brackets attached to the bottom of the window in the diagram I posted. I see they use screws....I am also wondering if some heavy duty adhesive could be used also before using the screws.....

anyone have a part number for these small brackets by chance? So far I have only found the whole glass replacement which seems to have the brackets attached......are the brackets sold separately, or do I need to go the junkyard/ used parts route? Thx!!

Thanks, Matador! I did notice those small brackets attached to the bottom of the window in the diagram I posted. I see they use screws....I am also wondering if some heavy duty adhesive could be used also before using the screws.....

anyone have a part number for these small brackets by chance? So far I have only found the whole glass replacement which seems to have the brackets attached......are the brackets sold separately, or do I need to go the junkyard/ used parts route? Thx!!
They aren’t sold separately OEM but you can buy just brackets like these. Depending on how your window brackets are broken you may need to get the old ones off somehow and re-adhere the new. I wouldn’t recommend gluing the brackets directly to the regulator, use the screws—if your existing one was glued to the regulator you’d be up a bit of a creek compared to backing out a screw.

I went with junkyard just because I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of ungluing and regluing.

Thx again for the info! Yeah, just to clarify, I was thinking of glue for helping to attach the brackets to the bottom of the windows rather than just the tension of screws which could seem to slip - not considering glueing anything to the regulator. But since I haven't been inside the door myself I may be misunderstanding how these brackets attach to the window, and then to the reugulator.....

Ford use to use adhesive to mount their glass to the regulator. Fricking pricy too, at some $50 dollars a tube. However, even their system would use a metal clip that stuck to the glue and the clip kinda was screwed/clamped to the regulator. That with their awesome use of rivets to hold in the regulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom