Issues after new steering rack. Zero point/steering angle/VSC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after having a new steering rack installed, and two different shops aligning the vehicle, I’m still getting the vsc kicking on randomly when cornering at higher speeds or excessive body roll. It will beep for just a second and is kicking on the abs it feels like. I had both the alignment shops do a zero point calibration, and I’ve done one myself using techstream. My question and hopefully the issue I’m dealing with is about the steering angle sensor. When I start the car, the angle is showing 1150 in techstream. Once I drive, it goes back to 0. Any input is appreciated, would love to get my truck back to 100%, thanks

Last edited:
I am having similar issue lately. Try to do ZPC using paperclip and Techstream with no improvement.

I did notice the 1150 value from VSA control unit. Did not try while moving. I need to see this when moving like you point out.

For some reason I cannot see steering angle sensor from this control unit. Mine is KDSS model and I can see the steering angle sensor from KDSS ECU. The value are between -40° to - 36° when steering angle is pointing straight. This value does not change after ZPC. My lock to lock are even on steering wheel to steering rack relation.

I need to set my techstream to be able to do logging.. I also noticed that if I brake before the turn it would trigger VSC even more than smooth fast turn. I suspect I might have a seized caliper or bad rear bearing causing the wheel speed sensor reading mismatch and trigger VSC.

Work done so far:
New front wheel bearing.
New steering rack bushing.
This issue exist before this work was done.

Last weekend finally I was able to do proper ZPC. It did not kick the VSC prematurely. The steps in the manual might not be complete.

The additional extra steps I have to do are:
1. Find a level parking space that I can just drive straight after calibration.
2. Do the reset using techstream
3. Cycle power off
4. Put back to ignition on
5. This time techstream show yaw sensor calibrarion undone fault.
6. Reset the fault
7. Do zero point using paperclip. Techstream might work too but that it what I decide at that time.
8. Cycle power.
9. Reconnect techstream and monitor live value from VSC
10. Go on a drive.
11. The steering angle stays at 1150 and not changing until I drove above 30 MPH on straight line for a few seconds. (found a few reference online about having to drive straight above 28 MPH to get the actual zero after ZPC}
12. After that the steering angle seems to keep track and showing zero when going straight.

I am not sure what the actual steps that finally did it right.
What I do know a few times it did it fix the problem are:
1. I did it in my garage that are not 100% level
2. I did not drive it until the next morning.

Note: there are a few refference about similar issue on GX460 and there is another step that require DAC initiation.

Attachments

• 2005 Lexus GX470 ZPC.PDF
    34 MB · Views: 112
Thanks for the update. Have you happened to see what the steering angle is upon start up, before driving, after doing this? After doing the ZPC mine was still showing the 1150 until I would drive the vehicle. After a short distance it would then read 0 or whatever corresponding angle the wheel was at. After powering off the vehicle it would reset back to the 1150 until driving again.

Thanks for the update. Have you happened to see what the steering angle is upon start up, before driving, after doing this? After doing the ZPC mine was still showing the 1150 until I would drive the vehicle. After a short distance it would then read 0 or whatever corresponding angle the wheel was at. After powering off the vehicle it would reset back to the 1150 until driving again.
Anything below 25-30 MPH it seems it is not updating. Not exactly sure what is the exact cutoff.

If your steering angle already show 0 then it might be the yaw sensor not zeroed correctly. I need to take snap shot again while driving. Need a second person to help control the PC.

I’ve done the ZPC numerous times and am still getting the 1150 steering angle upon startup. After I drive a short distance it will then show zero. I don’t feel like this is normal? Anyone else have any experience with this? I keep doing the ZPC, on a flat surface, then drive straight until I reach above 30mph. Im
Still having the issue with the VSC engaging randomly on certain turns or up hill driving. Frustrated as I feel the ZPC should take care of this. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated

Slight update, I tried doing the paper clip method on the ZPC and am still having the same issue. No lights on dash but the vsc is still engaging when turning, for instance when taking a turn on a long on/off ramp. I did notice when looking at the live data that the steering angle is always at 1150 until driving for a short distance, so I tried moving the wheel to the left or right, no change. I did notice that the direction of the wheel speed sensors would change when doing so. I’d be facing forward and move the wheel to the left or right and the sensors would change from forward to back. I never had any issues what so ever before installing the new steering rack. Still frustrated

Still no prevail in getting this lined out. Added new brakes on the front as I was getting some dive upon breaking. Steering rack is still reading 1150 upon start up. Thinking that has something to do with the zero point calibration not working. I do have the fuses under the hood pulled for the AHC, as well as the tems fuse per instruction with my eibach lift kit. Would that cause any issues with the zero point? I have a few stored DTC codes realating with all 4 speed sensors, the yaw rate sensor, as well as master cylinder pressure sensor output signal. There’s aren’t active when I pull up the abs/vsc page but are the stored dtc. I try to clear them to no prevail. Any help out there? Again I had zero drivability issues before the new rack went in. I checked everything under the front and it’s tight as it should be. Truck drives just fine minus the vsc engaging on certain turns.

Mine is coming back too. So a couple weeks ago I remove all 4 of my speed sensor to see if they got any debris on it. All 4 are fairly clean but the right rear got slight groove. I remove my rear axle and I can feel the bearing got slight play. I cannot feel the play with the axle still installed.

I bought a set of new OEM wheel bearing and special puller to do the job. Haven't got the time to do it yet. Maybe next weekend. OEM rear wheel bearing are pricey. Non toyota branded Koyo are available and they are a lot cheaper. The tools cost me $225 plus a press of you don't have one. But the estimate I got from a shop are $1400 to replace both rear bearing.
Bearing puller

Inner race puller

20230617_110338.jpg
20230617_121223.jpg

After the never ending issue, I purchased a cardone steering rack, supposed to be a reman oem rack. Got it installed, no more issues. Happy to not be chasing my tail any longer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom