ISSUE Automatic transmission hard shifting 93 VX 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Some background on the car. Recently I bought an 80 series Land cruiser with a couple of issues mostly electrical. The first problem was the 1fz engine was having trouble holding idle which ended up being an issue with the ECU having burned leads. Now the issue I am trying to fix is the automatic gearbox. When the car shifts from 1-2 it shifts hard (both up gear and down gear) even if I do it manually. This happens sometimes on 2-3. Additionally, when I am going uphill and I accelerate 25-50% throttle the car doesn´t seem to rev the motor at all or even downshift, its only under after I go 75-100% throttle when the car suddenly downshifts and revs to 3500rpm basically to catch up.

The first thing I did was adjust the transmission cable with my mechanic and the shifting stayed the same. The next thing he suggested was to look into the solenoid valves. I was wondering if any of you has had this issue before or what could be causing itt?

Thanks in advance

It would be helpful to know what model transmission you have and you have the 1FZ-FE motor, but assuming you have a A442F, being that it appears to be throttle related it points to be an issue with the TPS - Throttle Position Sensor.

Hi everyone,
Some background on the car. Recently I bought an 80 series Land cruiser with a couple of issues mostly electrical. The first problem was the 1fz engine was having trouble holding idle which ended up being an issue with the ECU having burned leads. Now the issue I am trying to fix is the automatic gearbox. When the car shifts from 1-2 it shifts hard (both up gear and down gear) even if I do it manually. This happens sometimes on 2-3. Additionally, when I am going uphill and I accelerate 25-50% throttle the car doesn´t seem to rev the motor at all or even downshift, its only under after I go 75-100% throttle when the car suddenly downshifts and revs to 3500rpm basically to catch up.

The first thing I did was adjust the transmission cable with my mechanic and the shifting stayed the same. The next thing he suggested was to look into the solenoid valves. I was wondering if any of you has had this issue before or what could be causing itt?

Thanks in advance
How did you go sorting this out?

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
i know this was a while ago but I am wondering if it all worked out. I have a 95 Landcruiser At 1fz-FE that i replaced the ecu and now the transmission is having similar issues shifting, idle is running high, an overdrive light is flashing. My mechanic can't figure it out. any help is appreciated

To be honest I took it to a couple of transmission shops but the general concense was the same, "If it runs but its slightly rough shifting then its not worth opening up, its like opening a pandoras box". At the end of the day one of them took some time to adjust the shift cable correctly and the shifts are completly smooth will going uphill but on flat terrein I can feel them most of the time. In you case I will look into the blinking O/D code that would me my first step. Also when you changed the ECU did you make sure it was the exact same one? I know 93-94 have a diferent ecu from them rest that may be why you are getting getting error codes.

Another thing you could check is the valve body, based on whatever the error code is

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
Thanks for getting back to this. The ECM im a pretty sure wasn't the exact same one. the only ones I could find that were exact matches were from the UK. I am in Costa Rica. My mechanic pretty much got a used one and jimmy rigged it. so frustrated. I love this Cruiser but its driving me nuts. and on top of the flashing OD light the idle is all over hte place. going up super high after driving it for a while.

Thanks for getting back to this. The ECM im a pretty sure wasn't the exact same one. the only ones I could find that were exact matches were from the UK. I am in Costa Rica. My mechanic pretty much got a used one and jimmy rigged it. so frustrated. I love this Cruiser but its driving me nuts. and on top of the flashing OD light the idle is all over hte place. going up super high after driving it for a while.
Check the throttle cable it may be sticking on ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom