1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

isp.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bad_religion_au, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

how hard/ easy is it to get a fix on someones isp?

can i get it from an email sent from a hotmail account to another hotmail account. i got a wierd (not spam, but personal) email from someone that knows more about me than i expected, and i'd like to be able to get a fix on who this is before i reply (they asked some questions).

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Can you right click on it and choose Properties-Details-Message Source ?

Either that or look at the x-originating IP in the header.

But that s*** can all be fudged. Don't turf 'em yet. Entice them in .. bullshit a bit. Say .. "Listen this stupid email program is filtering any emails that are web based..the tech messed with it on me cause I had a bad virus last month. Any way you can just send me your future emails from your isp instead. Thanks .. you've really got me curious on a few points you mentioned. I hope we can talk again .. unfortunately this is going to be filtering out all hotmail and the like emails . Bloody techs! *rolling eyes*"

Social engineering ..

TY

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Oh yeah .. an Irish hacker passed this technique to me ten years ago ... set up an image server on your box and then host a pic that you send him/her. When she views it on their box it will register on your servers logs. Have the email send you a read receipt to correlate the times.

I added the email flavour there .. we used to just post it in a chat room, and watch the for the persons IP to pop up as they looked at it.

Lots and lots of ways .. be creative.

TY

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

thanks ty, knew i could count on you.... i've already started the banter going, with a few things that may lead to which part of my life this guy is familiar with..

no point hiding, he obviously knows me or knows someone that knows me

5. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

If you've got an IP, go to [Start] [Run] CMD [Enter] PING -a 220.240.108.186
    If their ISP has Reverse DNS, it'll show something like: dsl-186.108.240.220.dsl.comindico.com.au which gives an idea as to their ISP.

Or, just put their IP into http://dnsstuff.com/ IPWHOIS :cheers:

Put my IP, and Reverse into your Browser. ;) My ISP is Dodo(ADSL 256/64kbps), Internet Provided by Comindico, and Email by KBS. :)

[​IMG]
    http://kbs.net.au/network_comindico.asp

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

As TY mentioned there are ways to get someone to show the IP address by having them go to a page or picture you host online somewhere. However, even knowing an IP that doesn't tell you much. If they are on dialup that means virtually nothing...in the US usually law enforcement can request what user-id had what IP at that certain time, etc...but that wouldn't do you any good here (unless you knew someone who worked at that ISP and could look it up :D ). Personally what I would do is take their e-mail address and search all over for anything on it...full e-mail address, partial address, etc..anything you can find.

If the person is being really anonymous and logging in only from like a library or public computer then there isn't really anything you can do...if you want to just get back at them, take their e-mail and give it out to all the spam sites you can find.. :D

7. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

all i got is a hotmail address, which turned up nothing on a web search

they contacted me via email to my hotmail account. they also contacted me by MSN...

i don't think their trying to hide anything really, i.e. hacker tricks...

8. Koffer

Koffer

Oh man
    I didnt know the US was soo close to ausse by that map it looks like you can get there during low tide ;p

9. siglo

siglo

in hotmail options you can choose to show the full header.. then you'll see the originating IP expecially if they've used hotmail web site to send you the email.. trace route ( i think the command in a DOS window is tracert something like that) the ip to find the ISP then look that up in any whois directory and it might just give you the info you are looking for..

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I wasted yrs of my life on the dark side doing s*** like this for other people. . .takes its toll. :rolleyes:

Mark mentioned another excellent point; web tracks. Something I still do regularly. Somewhere, sometime the person probably used that email addy elsewhere on the web. Become adept at searching out those prints and you'll garner pretty good results. Become a master at cross referencing tidbits of info from all over the web. Keep a pad next to you and start connecting the info.

IP's and ISP's are pretty unreliable sources of 'real' info these days. Better to use whatever info you can get and start googling. It will all suck you down a dark hole though...so be warned!!

TY

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Keep mind that they may have done the same thing to you .... :D

Keep in mind the myriad of detailed personal info you have shared on here .. if they google the right items, your threads will surely pop up!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I used to love messin with goofs on the web. First question out of their mouth was always .. "Who are you?? You must know me, right?". Similar to your feeling .. but do they really know you? Or are they just surfing, watching your life go by on MUD .. and reflecting stuff back at you from here and other sources?

TY

12. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

nope they know me for sure... they know stuff that i haven't put on the web ever... i just hope they find my address 18 br$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Adelaide

come get me succa's i'm better with the enemy i can feel.... :)

13. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i only post stuff on here that i'm comfortable with the world knowing

14. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

hope that includes all our PM's that will go live on my blog in July !

TY

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

16. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

go ahead tyler make my day.

figured out who it is

an ex of the girl i'm kinda seeing

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Well I might be able to do better ... yrs ago I had an 'ex' AND her new B/F pull crap like that. Old style though .. over the phone. I turned the tables .. tracked the guy down .. phoned him up .. told him some chinese guys were comin with a garbage bag - to 'visit' him in the next while??

Next he called the cops on me .. reported the threat...I turned the tables again after getting off the phone with my local PD that had called me. I called their city PD and while reading from my pad (learned to keep it by the bed to record their late nite bullshit calls), I relayed my story to their PD's dispatch who promptly sent 2 officers over to their apartment to read them the riot act.

Only time I ever heard from anyone related to that story, was when a guy phoned me a yr later looking for a character reference .. apparently the phucking sociopath she was, she had this fellow fired from work for harrassment. He wanted me to sumarize my experiences with her, after somehow hearing how she had screwed me over. I declined .. never know who you're talking to over the phone. Had we not been 1000 miles apart, and could have met in person and I could have seen the paperwork on the matter that may have been different.

So don't worry too much about this asswipe dude. Let them spin their wheels ... you go off and enjoy life. They're probably hopelessly intimidated by your potential .. as seen thru their miserable eyes.

TY

18. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

lol thanks ty...

it's a bit more complex than an ex out for revenge... but i don't give a dayum anymore. i still got a 40 and wheeling buddies i can deal