ISO tips on process: mounting 8274 winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 8274 specific bumper that is off the truck without the winch mounted.

Options are to mount the winch on the bumper then that assembly onto the truck or to mount the bumper first then the winch to the bumper.

I know the 8274 end piece is separate from the rest of the winch - it gets assembled as it is mounted to the bumper plate... that brought up the question of which plan to follow.

User experiences are welcome.

Thanks

Definitely mount winch to bumper then bumper to truck. PITA to do the other way in my opinion because you need to support the weight of the winch while tightening bolts.

0CF533B1-0FC9-4AE5-BED1-C441996C4FA7.jpeg

Or you simply support the weight of the winch on a milk crate or other such item and then install the mounting bolts.

If you try and mount the bumper with the winch installed, the bumper will want to twist when trying to install it.

The winch only involves 4 mounting bolts which is a lot easier to get aligned compared to the number of bolts that hold the bumper to the frame.

I have an adjustable mechanic seat from Harbor Freight that I put the winch on and then raised it up to align with the mounting holes on the bumper and viola.

Or if you've got some leftover two-bys - -

DSC00502Avatar.JPG

I bolted the winch to the bumper on the bench and then used my engine hoist to move it into position. Slid it on to the frame horns bolted it up. Not easy but it worked.
PXL_20220809_013014672.jpg

I installed my bumper first and am glad I did in my particular case with my particular bumper.
However, it did take two additional helpers to gently lift the winch into position long enough to get the bolts in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom