Wanted ISO FJ55 Parking Brake System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.showerhammer.com
My 1976 or 77 (year is a mystery title says 78 but it isn't) FJ55 is missing the parking brake system. I am looking to build that out. I was wondering if anyone had any of the components for it? I am missing everything from the parking brake level to the components in the drum brakes.

All piggies had the transfer case mounted ebrake, did they use a later split case w/o the brake? Can’t mount the driveshaft w/o the drum, so some parts should be there. The mechanical bits are the same on 40/55s, but the cable is different. If truly nothing is there, should look into Monte-Carlo rear disk conversion w/ the integrated brake. Can also swap to the ‘79+ 40 rear with the 60 style integrated ebrake (what I did).

All piggies had the transfer case mounted ebrake, did they use a later split case w/o the brake? Can’t mount the driveshaft w/o the drum, so some parts should be there. The mechanical bits are the same on 40/55s, but the cable is different. If truly nothing is there, should look into Monte-Carlo rear disk conversion w/ the integrated brake. Can also swap to the ‘79+ 40 rear with the 60 style integrated ebrake (what I did).

That is good to know. I haven't even been looking there. Everything I saw was pointed towards the drum brakes. I will have to take a look at the transfer case. Hopefully it is the original, I have a Chevy TH350 Transmission, not sure what they did with the transfer case.

That is good to know. I haven't even been looking there. Everything I saw was pointed towards the drum brakes. I will have to take a look at the transfer case. Hopefully it is the original, I have a Chevy TH350 Transmission, not sure what they did with the transfer case.
@tucker74 thanks for the tip. I do have a cable coming from the transfer case that I am assuming is the parking brake. I am not able to pull it hard enough to stop. Hoping once I get some levers to crank it harder I can test it to see if it still works. Fingers crossed.

[QUOTE="tucker74, post: 14948528, member: Can’t mount the driveshaft w/o the drum, so some parts should be there. The mechanical bits are the same on 40/55s, but the cable is different.
[/QUOTE]
Not quite the same, mirror image backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom