ISO 1971 parking brake drum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1971 fj40 3spd.
Any idea where I can get my hands on a new or used one of these parking brake drums with the spline?

PXL_20201128_221528292.jpg

Not just the coarse spline, need to get the right stud size and spacing. Stud size increased sometime 68-E69. Spacing changed 74 right about the time the four speed started.

Gosh..gee-wiz....what happened to the original...can you explain the large groove?

usually one of the arms inside the drum breaks free and rubs on the drum shaft causing that issue.

Gosh..gee-wiz....what happened to the original...can you explain the large groove?
I have no idea what cause this groove, still investigating it

I have several parking brake drum from various years. I will shoot some pics tomorrow and you can see if any will work.

what do you want for it? Could you send me pictures? Is the hub in better shape then mine? Thank you

Yes, I think it’ll fit just fine.....let me dig it out....I’ll get some photos....you tell me what it’s worth....I’ll send you the hole unit, and you cover shipping. It will be during the week...I’ll send an IM through mud when I get it out.

any park brake drum will fit between the mid 60's up to 1980, it is the bolt spacing and size that changed for the drive shaft flange

Info: a couple things that cause the lathing on the drum center.
Worn out put shaft bearings
Backing plate loose
Bad u-joint or rear drive line
And as 3puppies mentioned internal loose e-brake parts.
You might want to find out what caused the groove before you get to fix it a second time.
HTH, John

‘68 would have 8mm studs; ‘71 would have 10mm. Hth.

I have these 3. Left 2 look like what you want.
20201130_113232.jpg
20201130_114641.jpg

That looks like it Dave. The next question is what the splined sleeve looks like?

Added pic. can take more pics later if needed.

20201130_120751.jpg

Last edited:
More information is needed.
I just went through the t case output shaft seal replacement (seals on the outer diameter of the splined cylinder). There are TWO different shaft diameters for these drums. I'm not sure when the geometry changed, but my truck is a 01/75' and I had to get the seal from a 76' to match my drum.

The OD of the seal is the same for both and the depth is not hugely important, so you could use whatever drum matches your driveline, just make sure you have the correct seal. In fact, I would just measure your new drum and order the appropriate seal. There will never be a better time to replace it.

Early size Shaft O.D. 1.890" Toyota Part # ????

Late size Shaft O.D. 1.772" Toyota Part # 90311-45001

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom