Is your new exhaust quiet? I hoped for better sound damping. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the exhaust on my 97LX with Bosal. The truck has 260k and was getting too loud for my wife. This truck will be a daily driver for my 16 yr old daughter. I had hoped that it was going to be considerably quieter than it is. I was shooting for LS430 quiet. :} I have a 97 armored LC that I think is also getting too loud, but the difference between new and old is very minimal if compared together. Basically the difference is not worth the cost. I did not have any holes or other problems, the only real issue was the noise level.

For those of you who have replaced your exhaust, have you been happy the level of sound dampening?

For those of you who have owned your car since it was new off the lot, was this truck ever really quiet?

For those of you who have owned your car since it was new off the lot, was this truck ever really quiet?

Owned since new. I think noise level is relative and personal. The sound never bothered me nor pleased me. I never thought about it. It just, was.

I don't think it has changed much over time but I do recognize the sound when my wife nears the house.

Yes. Both my replacement exhausts have been louder than desired. But the stock setup was quite quiet. And a few in the club with stock trucks always amaze me how refined they are in stock form.

Was your previous exhaust stock?

With no holes I might have jumped on a new cat and muffler alone. However you could look at adding a resonator to the end Of the system like stock had. A 10" glass pack or resonator should tone it down if not in place already with the bosal system.

This is why I replace my truck's with the factory pieces.

If you don't care about going over the frame then go with the Magnaflow y pipe and second direct fit cat and oem from there back. The OEM y pipe is crazy expensive and the Magnaflow fits perfect and is mandrel bent unlike OEM. Doing this will save you about a G over full OEM replacement.

It was stock and there were no holes. It was just louder than I wanted. I really thought a new muffler would help. OEM was out of the question due to cost. It was going to cost more than I paid for the whole truck :) The Bosal has about a 10" resonator at the end of the tail pipe, but I don't think it does much good. I will live with it, just not happy that I spent the time and money for so little improvement.

The resonator on the Bosal is just a pipe, nothing inside it. I bet putting something packed back there would help... still have the stock one?

OEM muffler section is only around $400 if I remember correctly. You got a steal on your truck if you paid under $400 for it.

I paid $750.00 for the truck. I replaced the Y pipe (Walker), the muffler and tailpipe section(Bosal) for $402.00. That includes shipping and tax. It also includes the coupons I used at Advanced Auto and $50.00 rebate from Walker. I replaced the exhaust the same time I changed the head gasket(Oh god, what a PAIN IN THE BUTT!) had the cylinder head overhauled, new radiator, all new hoses(every hose except the high pressure ones) cleaned the entire intake system including a new fuel filter. Changed/flushed all fluids. New wires, plugs, rotor and cap. Cleaned oil cooler. Replaced bushings in alternator. New steering damper. PO replaced shocks, springs, and rotors two years ago. Completely removed interior and cleaned everything. Replaced all the speakers. Installed very nice seat covers. Recovered center console to match. Completely redid steering wheel with real leather (cost me $25). Newish Revo At's 3/4 tread that I got for $100 mounted(total). I am planning a knuckle rebuild and I will probably replace all the tie rod ends.

In the end, I will have about 2k in the whole project with a truck that should go another 100k miles. :clap:

Thanks to ALL the awesome people on this forum, if it wasn't for you, I would have never tackled a project this big.

This truck is not the one in my avatar. I have more than 2k tied up in just bumpers. ;)

Got off the topic a little, we were talking about mufflers.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom