Is your gutter mount contributing to RUST?!!

While this topic concerns my 60, since so many with 80s use these, I wanted to get responses and feedback from everyone.

Last weekend I cut out two small rust spots on the rear curve outer roof where a mount had collected water and started to rust it. I did the repair, and noticed that there were also several tiny spots in the caulking/body seam filler used by the factory in the gutter....

Most of these tiny spots, but not all, corresponded with where a PO had gutter mounts installed.

The filler was in good shape in a lot of areas, but was visibly compressed, dry and cracked in others....most of the rust stains were showing through in those areas, as it was obvious water penetrated those cracks....

So I spent a few hours pulling off the chrome, and chiseling out ALL of that filler, and used a Dremel wire wheel (4 ea) to grind out the remainder and get to good metal....

Then I taped off the roof and sides and primered the whole thing, and ordered some paint (should've done that first!) I have a tube of seam sealer ready to go over the next few days.....

I think I was lucky, no major issues, but a few spots were about to get bad.....

Anybody else?

Top Bottom