Is your 100 your favorite vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I can't stop smiling or praising this rig to anyone and everyone who will listen. I love telling people how the ride reminds me of an older Rolls-Royce as does the silence, tall driving position, and overall feeling of solidity of every switch, button, and interface.

I'll keep with the Benz-centric theme of this thread and say that my second fav vehicle (which I currently own but recently listed for sale) is this one, my 1962 220se. Am I noticing a theme between owners of 100-series and Mercedes-Benz, something about engineering and build quality?

View attachment 1789286

View attachment 1789278

One of our local MB indie shops uses these old diesels as their loaner cars, it's always so much fun and such a joy to slide behind the wheel of one of these, wait for the glow plugs to ready themselves, and putter around (slowly) in the rain. Something that shouldn't be any fun whatsoever is somehow a magical experience in a W123. This may be the closest analog to a Land Cruisier in sedan form.

Yours is absolutely gorgeous. I love that body style, they're just so timeless. I don't think it will ever not be a beautiful car.

I've also owned 2 W126s since buying my 300. 1 was a 1990 350SDL (sold) and the other is my collector quality '91 560SEL. That car is in storage in VA. But yes, the build quality is defintely a factor in my affinity for them. I don't know if there are any better built cars than an old Benz. The 100s may be well built, but you'll not find any swaths of plastic in any of my old Benzes.

As for cars that I wish I'd never sold... Well... There was my 911S that had been converted to "SC" spec. Wider hips, 3.0L swap, gorgeous Recaro electric C seats, nice mesh Rial wheels and a bunch of other goodies the PO had installed. I ended up having to part it out a few years back in a time of financial crisis but ultimately made a 400% return on the thing. Poor Bianca... went to a buyer in Amsterdam.

20160212_150420.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I love that 560SEL of yours. So beautiful!

It’s a love/hate relationship right now. It wouldn’t be so bad if I had a second car so I can wrench on it and not stress about getting it running quickly.
Good luck. I have two other cars bought as "daily drivers" and now I have 3 project cars.

@MongooseGA

Nice W126. At one time I really debated getting one (back when I had a Volvo 850 T5-R) and I ultimately didn't. I respect the hell out of that platform though. Some would argue that the W140 was the last solid S-class (when they went from the D-B platforms to D-C) and I won't argue that it's a fine vehicle, but the W126 was the epitome of the S-class for me.

@MongooseGA

Nice W126. At one time I really debated getting one (back when I had a Volvo 850 T5-R) and I ultimately didn't. I respect the hell out of that platform though. Some would argue that the W140 was the last solid S-class (when they went from the D-B platforms to D-C) and I won't argue that it's a fine vehicle, but the W126 was the epitome of the S-class for me.

Thank you. The silver was the 350. Smooth engine and it rode beautifully but I blew the trans in it at 225k and decided to sell as it is. The 560... That is a nicer car than I really deserve :rofl:

I've always loved the W140 as it was THE Benz when I was a kid. I've driven a ton of them and love 'em, but they didn't age nearly as well as the 126. It was the start of luxury cars turning from incredible engineering (which the W140 did have) to the 'how many gizmos can we stuff in there' that we see today. I'd love a W140, but don't know if I'd love to own/maintain one.

Undisputed, the Princess was my favorite vehicle of all time. Long ownership, many adventures, a great identity. But I love my 100s, especially the 'Melon, driving it is like therapy and I would much rather drive either one of them than the wife's badass 200 series.

Old Princess.jpg

Thank you. The silver was the 350. Smooth engine and it rode beautifully but I blew the trans in it at 225k and decided to sell as it is. The 560... That is a nicer car than I really deserve :rofl:

I've always loved the W140 as it was THE Benz when I was a kid. I've driven a ton of them and love 'em, but they didn't age nearly as well as the 126. It was the start of luxury cars turning from incredible engineering (which the W140 did have) to the 'how many gizmos can we stuff in there' that we see today. I'd love a W140, but don't know if I'd love to own/maintain one.

The W140 was like the W124 E-class in the sense that it was solidly built, but you likewise had to deal with the damn vacuum system. I think they had more technology though, whereas the W124 was a "drive across Africa" kind of vehicle like the 100.

Yours is absolutely gorgeous. I love that body style, they're just so timeless. I don't think it will ever not be a beautiful car.

I've also owned 2 W126s since buying my 300. 1 was a 1990 350SDL (sold) and the other is my collector quality '91 560SEL.

As for cars that I wish I'd never sold... Well... There was my 911S that had been converted to "SC" spec.
Thank you kindly, I adore the shape as well and it'a a very special car to spend time in. Was your 911 that lovely light metallic green or am I being fooled by the light somehow? LOVE that black 126, in fact I was online peeking at some just yesterday tho I am probably finished with collector cars. Did you ever see the Hitchiker segment in Creepshow II where you really get to see how one os these holds up under some extreme circumstances (and using just a touch of Hollywood magic)? Saw it as a kid and however imaginary it was it sure cemented the durability of the mighty S-class in my mind forever.

cs913ou9.6919.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. My 73 is a great car. I bought it in France in 2003 from the ex CEO of Motul Oil. He was an avid vintage racer and my mechanic in San Diego provide track support when he raced in the US. As a result, he knew the car from trips to Europe. It was restored at the SonAuto Porsche dealership in 1987-88 so it was beautiful inside and out when I got the car. The PO wanted a bit more power so he had a factoy supplied RS motor installed along with some other “sport purpose” goodies which make this car unique. I am very fortunate to own it.

As much as I love the 100s , i miss my BJ73 ...

8yB8RiwK8KnmWEHouYuCT2T67uo4dWaRg92_F1I2GhiwuJbre7Qd1qLpU3XLPVgimmAT0NTZ3dBf6zwMqdF5jpBqTKxTn-OjwQgI1tblMSS2AUQ_yNqyAVBxc2xNshG1zd72Yzs-5Gx9P6xm9deNYyIxXw_xhxOjzo0_gjMHQFjWduurByQIQxe_MOpKRYV0kyXjyghLYKwS9NFCy37dv9KRHU7pfgFHsqzk7YnMmh2VL0xVvVt2ztjbXSIztmoymRPl15o5w3FhckEEaBImQsuFLMDVV0CjKVnLiHmGV7IPng7iuYGbSd8kNiwrqxQoCcpccWyZ1DL1nY21tlXumlswJTVglfTnd7jCu-UyCpwmxubQXO2UGrmkciiWQybMriMtLBe51eGLsU6s2gKNp0rszxvgLCai4uS__seEHulRW9ElgMhr94c-ttwiCPl3GrLwTjZOIJTwZnVIBzlSDrcDd_yDZflhhNzIHnvC5gyhHQq-bJGb1bile9XDg0eIbsOuDkQxaczE4vlMB9nOOUqxqp3LP9F7qbhTqmjn2xKjO4Q33JfN8uzFnLev3TcJpfjQvSC2ozAZE8RiyaRsO7dDFReoBAMPLRCI6tZwEje3Qsn0OiWQ8bq6FrwYXP4=w1230-h923-no

Thank you kindly, I adore the shape as well and it'a a very special car to spend time in. Was your 911 that lovely light metallic green or am I being fooled by the light somehow? LOVE that black 126, in fact I was online peeking at some just yesterday tho I am probably finished with collector cars. Did you ever see the Hitchiker segment in Creepshow II where you really get to see how one os these holds up under some extreme circumstances (and using just a touch of Hollywood magic)? Saw it as a kid and however imaginary it was it sure cemented the durability of the mighty S-class in my mind forever.

View attachment 1789558

Yes, it was the Ice Green Metallic! To be honest, I thought the car was like a silver/champagne color when I test drove it. It wasn't until I get it home that I realized it was green. At first I was disappointed, but I grew to really love the color.

I'm not familiar with Creepshow, I'll need to look into it. Possibly before my time :doh:

MY 2007 Gwagen was my favorite car for 10 years, and was almost perfect except for the lack of a tailgate. An unfortunate
collision ended our relationship, and now my LC 100 is it for the foreseeable future. Especially the tailgate feature which is invaluable when camping.

IMG_0295.jpg

I alternate on a weekly basis and depending on my mood... I will say that the LC isn't as easy to find a parking spot for.

IMG_20180806_172534.jpg

Truck/SUV yes but my favorite vehicle is my Mach1... Just something about about setting off car alarms and smoking the rear tires through a gear or 3.

IMG_1636.jpg

1951E6CC-3BE5-4BB0-A71D-361A131647E7.jpeg

Impossible choice. But that SC is a sweet ride.

I've had:

TJ wrangler
XJ Cherokee
(2) WR250r
YZF600R
2nd gen taco
(2) 4th gen 4runner
1st gen taco
2012 WRX

Yes. The 100 series is my favorite and it's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom