Is Toyota Paint Protection Film a deal breaker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

First post here. New to Land Cruisers. I'm coming from Jeep Wranglers in the past and currently a Ford Superduty. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 2021 Blizzard Pearl HE. Only thing holding me back is the vehicle already has the Toyota Paint Protection Film installed on the hood and fenders. I'm generally not a fan of PPF at all. My understanding is that the Toyota PPF is installed at the port, and is basically a low grade 3M product. I'm concerned that it will look like crap after a few months or years, and possibly damage the paint if I try to remove it.

I asked the dealer to remove the PPF but they won't do it. Would the Toyota PPF be a deal breaker? Or is it a worthwhile option at all? Or am I overthinking this? Really love the vehicle otherwise.

Run it a couple of years then remove it or remove it now. Use heat and it should come off fairly easily now and a little harder each year it is on.
It is unlikely to harm your paint anytime in the next 3-5 years. PPF has come a long way in the last few years.

You're overthinking. Just leave it on until it looks like sht, then remove it with your hearts content like peeling back a sticker.

I'd be happy with port installed ppf.

?

90k vehicle purchase and you’re unsure of what to do with existing PPF?

I had the existing PPF removed and had the vehicle wrapped from bumper to A-pillar with Xpel Ultimate for around 2.5k.

it’s just film, don’t over think it.

Thanks for the replies. Figured I’m overthinking. Partly yeah because it’s a 90k purchase I want to make sure I’m making a wise choice with the specs.

My ‘17 had the PPF port applied and it’s fine after 4 years of bugs and sand. My only complaint is that the Nufinsh wax I use creates a visible line of dried wax along the edge unless I carefully go back and clean the edge.

My ‘17 had the PPF port applied and it’s fine after 4 years of bugs and sand. My only complaint is that the Nufinsh wax I use creates a visible line of dried wax along the edge unless I carefully go back and clean the edge.

My 2011 has PPF as well. Dirt does collect along the edges of the film, but not underneath it. A minor extra effort to clean along the edge. My vehicle is white, so the edge is noticeable.

Given the complete lack rock chips on the hood, I'm glad to have it.

Well, I pulled the trigger today! I'm the new owner of a 2021 LC Heritage Edition in Blizzard Pearl. Thanks again for all the replies. Excited to be part of this community.

I was going back and forth between Midnight Black and Blizzard, but glad I went with Blizzard. My F-350 is black and even though I love the color, it's a bitch to keep it clean. The LC is going to be used primarily as a family SUV for me, my wife and my 2 year old son. I'm hoping to take some off road trips with it as well, and hopefully my wife and son will get into that experience.

Managed to get $1K off the sticker price of the LC. Most dealers in my area weren't willing to budge off MSRP, and a handful were even asking $5K to $25K over sticker. I almost laughed when a dealer in CT told me they want $25K over sticker.

Here's a pic...

LC HE.jpg

Well, I pulled the trigger today! I'm the new owner of a 2021 LC Heritage Edition in Blizzard Pearl. Thanks again for all the replies. Excited to be part of this community.

I was going back and forth between Midnight Black and Blizzard, but glad I went with Blizzard. My F-350 is black and even though I love the color, it's a bitch to keep it clean. The LC is going to be used primarily as a family SUV for me, my wife and my 2 year old son. I'm hoping to take some off road trips with it as well, and hopefully my wife and son will get into that experience.

Managed to get $1K off the sticker price of the LC. Most dealers in my area weren't willing to budge off MSRP, and a handful were even asking $5K to $25K over sticker. I almost laughed when a dealer in CT told me they want $25K over sticker.

Here's a pic...

View attachment 2643722
congrats on the purchase! Am I the only one who finds it ironic with the apple carplay sign on the Cruiser?

Congrats! and yeah.. very ironic.

Congrats! Great truck. You’re going to love it.

Thanks everyone. It was a bit of a challenge to convince my wife to go for the LC. It’s going to be our family SUV and she would have preferred an Audi Q8 or a Mercedes GLE.

She thinks the LC isn’t as pretty as the others. Ironically that’s one thing I like about it the most - it’s a timeless design, not a fancy gimmicky SUV with a bunch of crap I don’t need.

🍻 you are going to love it! Beauty of the land cruiser is it never gets old!

Congrats on you LCH @goodnightnyc ! The other thing with port-installed ppf is the coverage, partly on the hood and fenders. I personally would remove it right off the bat then do a full front protection. That usually includes side mirrors and door cups. I agree that Toyota uses lower grade 3M. Self-healing Expel is the way to go.

Congrats on you LCH @goodnightnyc ! The other thing with port-installed ppf is the coverage, partly on the hood and fenders. I personally would remove it right off the bat then do a full front protection. That usually includes side mirrors and door cups. I agree that Toyota uses lower grade 3M. Self-healing Expel is the way to go.
How much does this usually run?

As a second owner, I was really glad the original owner had the paint protection. I removed it on an 00’ 100 series and the paint looks fantastic (including the fog lights), it was an ugly duckling with it all brown and faded. Don’t know if is something the first owner ever gets to enjoy but I sure appreciated.

That white LC looks great!

I’ll probably just run the Toyota PPF for a few years then remove it. Not sure if I’ll reapply. One of the reasons I went with Blizzard Pearl over black was I figured the paint would be easier to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom