Is this what it looks like when the rear oil pan arch on a 2F leaks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to figure out if I have a oil pan leaking at the rear arch or a rear main seal. At least it isn't the input to the transmission. Is this what it looks like when the oil pan rear arch leaks?

Symptoms are two big fat oil drops on the ground after the truck stops, then no more after that. So its only leaking under pressure...?

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

If it’s the rear I’ll be the first to bluntly say, RMS is the more likely cause. All of our trucks are at least 30 years old. A seal can only withstand so much oil before they break down.

Wouldn’t there be oil on the flywheel if it was the rear main seal?

No.
Just be glad it's only dripping 2 drops. Consider yourself lucky. All these cruisers with original seals weep oil now and all the seals do it. Either replace every seal in the engine or just leave it in peace & slide a piece of cardboard under the truck.

I just did my clutch and RMS. My RMS wasn’t leaking at all surprisingly, my leak is the oil pan gasket. And mine is/was much worse than that, that appears very minor.

For the sake of posterity, it was not the rear main seal. It was the oil pan gasket. It was leaking at the rear arch of the gasket. I replaced the gasket via the @Poser method and no there are ZERO leaks.

I already tried that. No bueno.

That oil leak is preserving your frame, cheap rust protection 😉. I'm kidding, but where the grease flung off my U-joints, are the best parts of my frame

Oil leaks have killed many engines. The slow drip is a polite warning to fix it. I to have a slow drip from RMS. Please share how you handle it

Oil leaks have killed many engines. The slow drip is a polite warning to fix it. I to have a slow drip from RMS. Please share how you handle it
Well you could drop the trans and replace it, or you could pour a bottle of AT 205 in the oil. This stuff does work pretty darn good for old seals that have slow leaks and imo worth a shot.

I fixed the leak by replacing the oil pan gasket.

No.
Just be glad it's only dripping 2 drops. Consider yourself lucky. All these cruisers with original seals weep oil now and all the seals do it. Either replace every seal in the engine or just leave it in peace & slide a piece of cardboard under the truck.

I am seriously laughing my ass off. I have all of these spots in my driveway, and should have done this a long time ago, LOL

I’m just glad I no longer need to chase the truck around the driveway with a drip pan every time someone drives it. The boys were especially bad at figuring out where to place the pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom