Is this what a bad transfer case bearing sounds like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Chasing a noise that happens at 70+ when taking foot off the gas. Removed front shaft and thought it was the rear shaft since it had been neglected in the past and the noise was still very clear. Upon replacing the rear shaft I found while rotating the rear t case flange that this noise might be the root of my problem. Haven’t been able to test drive it yet. Im out of town and in the middle of a couple projects on the truck right now. Found a couple threads with similar noise but they go dark and end with no conclusion. Rear output bearing? Transfer case annihilation? Or is there any chance this is normal?

Any insight is much appreciated!

I can't tell you exactly what is making that noise, but I *can* tell you that when I do the same thing on my truck, there is no noise. Definitely seems like something is buggered.

I assume that you had the truck in neutral in order to be able to even turn it, but is there a chance the transmission shifter is not perfectly in neutral?

I assume that you had the truck in neutral in order to be able to even turn it, but is there a chance the transmission shifter is not perfectly in neutral?

I honestly can’t recall. I had it in neutral and then I fired it up and moved it a couple times and to access a few different bolts. I do have the front drive shaft removed in the video so I figured that had something to do with it being able to spin freely.

That sound like gears dragging against each other as if you're trying to shift from low to high and they aren't quite there.

If your lever is fully in the right place, then you have bigger issues.

That does NOT sound like a bearing to me.

Drain your TCase oil and look for glitter and chunks.

Drained/refilled and was surprise to find no metal chunks and barely anything stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Dropped the rear from 6 inches to about 4 and installed a new rear DS along with some land tank extended arms. Solved my pinion angle problem. The noise that I was chasing is now completely gone so I suppose to the transfer case noise might’ve been due to my shifter not being fully shifted. Saw a couple other threads with the same problem and they never concluded a fix or follow up some I’m guessing maybe the same happened to them? Anyways for I’ll take it. Thanks to those who replied!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom